Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-20, 08:01 PM  
cyana

Quick post and run......work has been really busy...working a lot of hours.

Waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-20, 08:35 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, I saved that YT routine to try later.

cyana, hope you get to catch your breath soon!

Sandra, you should try a class with your niece! Sometimes a yoga class can click with the right instructor.

Tonight I did Element Barre Conditioning, the first routine (Burn & Firm) - ouch! I had forgotten how intense it is.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-20, 09:19 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana I meant to ask you--have you tried classes by Andrew McGonigle on MFML? I liked this article of his: https://accessibleyoga.blogspot.com/...tions-and.html

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-18-20, 09:36 PM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
cyana I meant to ask you--have you tried classes by Andrew McGonigle on MFML? I liked this article of his: https://accessibleyoga.blogspot.com/...tions-and.html
I love Andrew - he is very gifted in explaining anatomy and physiology in a very accessible way. He has a number of short, focused practices on MFML that I've done many times. He's also good at pointing out how differences in our anatomy (such as our hip joints) affects our ability to get into the shapes.

I'm sorry your sound bath wasn't the greatest experience - hopefully you'll get another chance in a less crowded and less noisy environment.

Loved your comment about fountain noise and men peeing, Paine!!!! I'm sure I'll remember that next time I pass a fountain, LOL!!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-20, 10:13 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, thanks! He sounds really intriguing. And the sound bath was still nice and relaxing, just not quite as nice as I had hoped.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-19-20, 12:19 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Remember I said that I received a free subscription to Jenni Rawlings Yoga for a month (which I'm still using!)? Well, the results of the survey I took just came out. It's on the subject of touch in yoga, and it's fascinating, maybe not what you would expect:
https://jennirawlingsblog.com/blog/p...students-agree

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-19-20, 02:07 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Hamelin Armatics Taster

Sandra, you could ask your niece which of her classes (if any) would be taught with a style of yoga you enjoy (Kundalini, restorative or whatever is your favorite).

Beth, Thanks for the article. I have only attended a couple of yoga classes but I never had a teacher touch me in any of those classes.
I don't think I kept my Element Barre Conditioning DVD. I did like it at one time but I have other Barre DVDs that I like better.

Cyana, you'll never listen to a water fountain again without that visual. People don't understand why I don't like water fountains but I find the sound annoying and I prefer silence.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 05:14 PM  
Anny

cyana I hope you get a breather soon!

Beth I found the article interesting in that more teachers note they refrain from personal touch more often while more students note they don’t mind or prefer the physical touch for guidance. Personally, I don’t like touch in classes and if consent is requested I say no. But then, I haven’t been to many classes either.

Paine I enjoy looking at water, I find it peaceful. So I love the harbour views from our balcony and sitting room!

Yesterday I had a vertigo attack so no workout for me. I’m thinking of avoiding yoga today as a result and may just do a light walk...perhaps one of Jessica’s Walk and Talks... until I feel better.
Old 02-19-20, 07:25 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anny, I found the article interesting for the same reasons. When I started practicing yoga at studios in the mid-2000s (I actually started yoga in 2001 but only practiced at home at first), touch was MUCH more common, and it was one of the main reasons I enjoyed going to classes. I've seen a HUGE decrease, even with some of the same teachers I've been going to since the beginning. We have become more aware of being sensitive to trauma and other issues in yoga classes, which is great and very important--but still, I miss the more frequent use of touch, and it looks like some other students do too.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-19-20, 07:26 PM  
YogaGal

Sandra: I know this is a tough transition time for your niece, but hopefully she knows that “this too shall pass” and her life will be better in the long run. It might be fun for you to try one or two of your niece's yoga classes.

Paine: I remember how difficult it was to make it through our last winter in north Texas. We barely saw the sun for weeks at a time. I agree that restorative yoga is an answer to a low energy day. Re Water Fountains: some I like and others are annoying. I know for meditation tracks, I find some with babbling brook sounds can be soothing, but some really do sound like peeing and then that makes me want to get up and take a bathroom break.

Beth: Sounds like your yin/sound bath workshop had some good points, but was not as good as it could have been. Perhaps next time (if there is one) they will cap the class size and have 2 classes rather than cram everyone into a space too small to allow adequate range of motion for so many people. I hope you are over migraines for the week.

Garrie: Glad you are enjoying KCM's Sculpting Rx. Thanks for sharing your detailed review of your Barre Above training. DH and I went to a local Vegetarian Festival on Saturday and they featured some fitness entertainers from local gyms/fitness centers. A couple of guys were doing Zumba and a lot of folks started following along. Anyway, it really sparked my interest in learning some Zumba.

Anny: I have been busy marking! Grading quizzes each week takes a lot of time and next week I have two sets to grade plus classes to teach. I feel a yoga-intense week ahead as I probably won’t have the time or energy for a lot of cardio or strength workouts. Hope your vertigo goes away soon.

cyana: I can relate to being super busy at work!

Waves to Gayle & Linda!

As for workouts, my usual mix of KCM and Jessica Smith. Yesterday was an older Jessica, “Stride & Strength” from her Strength & Balance dvd and today was KCM's Boxing from TLC dvd, which is one of my favorite KCM boxing workouts. Added on a short yoga both days.