Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-16, 09:12 AM  
Erica H.

Exercise and fasting blood tests

I need to have some fasting blood tests and was just going to go after my daily morning run. During my run this morning, I thought that maybe the run would affect the blood test results and I did a search on Google and a lot of places said not to exercise before having blood drawn.

Does anyone have any info/advice/experience on this? I really don't want to miss my run. And I can't run after the blood is drawn because it will be too hot (I run early before it gets too hot).

Could I run early and then wait a few hours before going to the lab?

One more question...can I lift after having blood drawn?

Thanks!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 09:47 AM  
ellaenchanted

I would call the doctor's office or the lab and ask if exercise is okay.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 10:29 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Interesting question. I'm having some blood drawn on Wednesday, and the only instruction my doctor gave me is to fast 10-12 hours before, and only have water. Nothing was said about exercise.

Unless your donating blood, I wouldn't worry about not being able to lift weights after routine blood drawing. They usually don't take too much blood just for lab work.
Old 08-07-16, 10:36 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I don't ever recall being advised one way or another about exercise and fasting lab work. I have read that exercise helps with insulin sensitivity, so if they're testing insulin, running beforehand might have some effect on that, maybe? But I can't imagine that would be a bad thing!

If I were you, I would proceed with whatever you had planned to do, exercise-wise. Both before and after the blood draw. People say all kinds of things on the internet. Exercise is common enough that I would think the doc would have mentioned it if it were a complicating factor.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 12:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Unless your donating blood, I wouldn't worry about not being able to lift weights after routine blood drawing. They usually don't take too much blood just for lab work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I have read that exercise helps with insulin sensitivity, so if they're testing insulin, running beforehand might have some effect on that, maybe? But I can't imagine that would be a bad thing!

If I were you, I would proceed with whatever you had planned to do, exercise-wise. Both before and after the blood draw. People say all kinds of things on the internet. Exercise is common enough that I would think the doc would have mentioned it if it were a complicating factor.
i agree - if it's just a test they take out a few vials of blood.

i have had cholesterol issues my entire adult life, and in the past year, i've been exercising (usually vigorous cardio like step aerobics, or climbing stairs) right before blood is drawn for the test. it's improved my numbers. these are all fasting tests, by the way.

the one thing i would suggest strongly whether you're going to exercise or not - make sure you drink lots of water. the fasting requirement usually allows drinking water.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 12:12 PM  
Erica H.

Here are a few links I found about this issue:

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/b...ts-for-runners

http://everydaytipsandthoughts.com/h...e-blood-tests/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/39...t-the-results/

I think I will just call the office to see what the doctor says. I don't want to get inaccurate results, but I don't want to miss my run either!

Erica
Old 08-07-16, 12:33 PM  
Sophie

It depends on what they're testing, but as you've already seen, exercise can affect several factors for a blood draw. It will most definitely affect blood sugars in some way.

Looks like you're seeking doctor's clearance in any case, which is wise. Blood draws take very little blood, so exercise afterwards is almost always fine, unless you feel nauseous, lightheaded or whatever.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 05:31 PM  
Erica H.

These instructions say no exercise.

I'm very surprised that doctors aren't telling patients this with the fasting instructions.

http://oregon.providence.org/~/media...re%20_7_08.pdf

Erica
Old 08-07-16, 07:55 PM  
bfit

I used to exercise in the morning before having blood drawn, and my blood glucose numbers always came out a little high - within normal range but at the high end. Then I read someplace that exercise somehow releases glucose into your system for energy. The last two blood tests I had I did not exercise in the morning, and my glucose number was at the lower end of normal instead of the higher end. No one ever told me not to exercise, but it sure seems like exercise was affecting the results for me.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-16, 06:29 AM  
bolieikl
VF Supporter

I used to always exercise before my bloodwork. I found out that it is not advised. My GFR showed came out low, which indicated Stage 3 kidney disease and my potassium was high. After repeated testing and being scared to death, I was told by a Nephrologist that when I ran and did weights, it caused my creatinine to raise (which would make me GFR be low) and the plyo moves and running can raise my potassium. I thought I was drinking enough water and that it would flush it out....but I guess not enough time passed between the workout and the blood draw. The doctor told me to always take a day off (or two) before my blood work. They redid the blood work a few times and did several tests before we realized what was really going on. All is well ....but there were several months of being scared for no reason.

I know a lot of people probably are able to work out beforehand and be okay....but that was my experience. My workouts were two hour workouts.

Linda
bolieikl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
potassium