Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-16, 07:04 AM  
killoffsonny

I've never heard of Jen Selter but I have to say as nice as her ass looks it still looks fake.
Old 07-12-16, 09:05 AM  
Eibhinn

I was reading a book about how to dress for different body types and one type mentioned was long, lean, thin with very large breasts which the author noted was a fairly common silhouette that is pretty much impossible to achieve without plastic surgery. I found it refreshing to see someone finally openly acknowledge that it was highly unlikely for people to have a body that is super thin and lean save one super-exaggeratedly large body part, like breasts or butt. While it's entirely possible that Jenn Selter is naturally proportioned like that, I'm at the point where when I see someone with a tiny body and one huge asset they flaunt and promote, my instinct is to assume some intervention was involved. Regardless, I do agree that however Jenn Selter came to have that body, it's disingenuous for her to pretend that people can come close to reproducing it using her fitness routines.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 09:09 AM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspidistra View Post
Anderson cannot, because her program worked for me. It's just exercise. Her mumbo jumbo explanations are why they added her to the list.
Yes, and rightly so.

Charlatan, noun: a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill; a fraud.

Whether or not Anderson's workouts work for certain people, her mumbo jumbo explanations, ie. falsely claiming to have special knowledge and qualifications, are exactly what make her a charlatan. If she was just putting out workouts that worked without all of the other garbage surrounding it no one would call her a charlatan.
Old 07-12-16, 09:24 AM  
primrosecat

Just read the article. Ok, Food Babe, and not eating food containing the stuff used in yoga mats. I'm NOT supporting her, or the guys who wrote this article, but I do not want to eat anything used in yoga mats. Their argument concerning this made no sense to me.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 01:47 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
Just read the article. Ok, Food Babe, and not eating food containing the stuff used in yoga mats. I'm NOT supporting her, or the guys who wrote this article, but I do not want to eat anything used in yoga mats. Their argument concerning this made no sense to me.
But, we use plant pulp to make a ton of paper products. Would you rule out any food that was also used for something else. Don't get me wrong, I'm all over the real food trend. I went low fat and got fatter and now don't believe a single freaking food fad including low carb and the whole gluten thing. But, if something is used to make yoga mats (and may be transformed into another chemical in the process) doesn't really say whether it is safe as a food additive. I certainly would never tell someone to eat processed food though, although I do a ton of it.

I'm one this is happy people are finally stopping calling protein powder clean or natural. I'm sure there are a few, but you are still chemically processing plants or whatever to get the protein- but basically dissolving sugar from plants and crystallizing it is evil- makes no sense.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 03:38 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
But, we use plant pulp to make a ton of paper products. Would you rule out any food that was also used for something else. Don't get me wrong, I'm all over the real food trend. I went low fat and got fatter and now don't believe a single freaking food fad including low carb and the whole gluten thing. But, if something is used to make yoga mats (and may be transformed into another chemical in the process) doesn't really say whether it is safe as a food additive. I certainly would never tell someone to eat processed food though, although I do a ton of it.

I'm one this is happy people are finally stopping calling protein powder clean or natural. I'm sure there are a few, but you are still chemically processing plants or whatever to get the protein- but basically dissolving sugar from plants and crystallizing it is evil- makes no sense.
Great post. Totally agree.
Old 07-12-16, 08:07 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Great post. Totally agree.
Darn, i was going to fix what I wrote so it made sense. But you quoted it.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-16, 09:14 AM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
I think the problem is more the way the Food Babe presents her arguments. Just because something is used in the manufacture of yoga mats does not necessarily mean it's bad for you. Water is used in the manufacture of yoga mats. There are yoga mats made out of plant-based materials. If she's going to argue that a particular substance is "toxic" or not fit for human consumption, then the food babe should present specific, scientific evidence as to the problem with that particular ingredient, rather than making these weird arguments based totally on association fallacy. I have no idea whether or not the substance she argued against is okay to eat, but the argument that you shouldn't eat a substance because it's in yoga mats, which are clearly not food, is the same as arguing you shouldn't eat spinach because it contains the same heavy metal substance as used to make frying pans (namely iron).
Old 07-13-16, 09:26 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I think the problem is more the way the Food Babe presents her arguments. Just because something is used in the manufacture of yoga mats does not necessarily mean it's bad for you. Water is used in the manufacture of yoga mats. There are yoga mats made out of plant-based materials. If she's going to argue that a particular substance is "toxic" or not fit for human consumption, then the food babe should present specific, scientific evidence as to the problem with that particular ingredient, rather than making these weird arguments based totally on association fallacy. I have no idea whether or not the substance she argued against is okay to eat, but the argument that you shouldn't eat a substance because it's in yoga mats, which are clearly not food, is the same as arguing you shouldn't eat spinach because it contains the same heavy metal substance as used to make frying pans (namely iron).
Very well said.

I do think Food Babe is a bit tricky, because if you follow her way of eating, it is very healthy. She is (from what I know of her) all about whole, real food, and that's great. So she's not 'dangerous' in that way.

However, her rationale for why people 'should' avoid certain things is so unbelievably spurious. A friend of mine is a PhD chemist and she makes his blood boil! Her 'army' has challenged major food chains to eliminate certain ingredients that are (from what my friend said) completely harmless (water, after all, is technically a chemical.) Companies readily capitulate to avoid bad publicity and appear to be friends of the 'healthy eater,' and then she claims a win. It's a great example of the internet run amok.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-16, 12:23 PM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Very well said.

I do think Food Babe is a bit tricky, because if you follow her way of eating, it is very healthy. She is (from what I know of her) all about whole, real food, and that's great. So she's not 'dangerous' in that way.

However, her rationale for why people 'should' avoid certain things is so unbelievably spurious. A friend of mine is a PhD chemist and she makes his blood boil! Her 'army' has challenged major food chains to eliminate certain ingredients that are (from what my friend said) completely harmless (water, after all, is technically a chemical.) Companies readily capitulate to avoid bad publicity and appear to be friends of the 'healthy eater,' and then she claims a win. It's a great example of the internet run amok.
She also will say an ingredient is toxic. However, she will also endorse products that have the same ingredient. It's different if she is making money from it.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celebrities, fitness, scam, tracy anderson, unscientific claims