Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-16, 05:14 PM  
lorajc

Question About Shoulders Back & Down?

I know I've been quite active with questions lately....however, this is an important one that I've never understood.

I did read in one of my readings about healing disc herniations....that you should not exaggerate this shoulders back and down as always recommended time and time again in exercise.....and they just said to "unround" your shoulders....so my question is ....which is correct?

Do you really exaggerate the shoulders back and down and hold it like that while you exercise or gently unround your shoulders while holding that and exercising? who is correct? This is quite important for me, as I have severe neck and shoulder problems....disc herniation's, facet problems, compression fractures, etc.

Thanks in advance.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 06:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

there's 2 ways you can approach this. of course, you should use your own common sense if you feel pain since yours involves incorporating a pre-existing condition.

1) i see this as an abs move - i think if your abs are contracted and your chest is lifted, your shoulders and upper back will naturally move into an erect position without having to exaggerate the spine. it is entirely possible to still round your shoulders if your abs are engaged, but once you lift your chest "upwards" your shoulders will not be rounded. to get the right sensation, you can even inhale and see your breast puff upwards.

2) you can stand with your back against the wall and see if you can position your upper back so that your shoulder blades are flush against it. you will have a natural curve at the lower "small" of your back, and this should be OK.

with either of the above approaches, it allows your shoulders to be relaxed. the abs muscles are driving this posture, not the shoulders.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 07:02 PM  
lorajc

That's a good analgy.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 08:31 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

When it comes to standing and posture, nothing should ever be exaggerated or manipulated into position. When it comes to the head, neck, spine or shoulders, changes in position should be done more by thinking than by doing. I learned this in Alexander Technique. It's a matter of undoing bad habits that put our heads, necks, spines, and shoulders into the wrong positions, and developing new habits that release body tension and free the body to have the natural and easy posture that we were born with. If you watch a 2 year old, you will see perfect positioning of the head, neck, spine and shoulders, and perfect body usage (i.e. you won't see a 2 year-old bend over to pick something up---they always go straight down using their legs). Over time, we learn habits from observing others, and get ourselves misaligned.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-16, 10:11 AM  
Sophie

I'm super confused by the abs move description. My understanding is that abs (as we think of them) are the front wall that draws the front of the rib cage to the front of the hip bones. So I'm not getting how that contraction, other than for stabilization, is going to create a lifted chest (is that what we want anyway?) and shoulders properly positioned.

Maybe I'm not reading it correctly, but I'm having a hard time relating these ideas.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-16, 11:48 AM  
fatkat555

I tell my students to draw their shoulder blades down their back (not to exaggeration where you push the ribs forward). So it's more of a back and down in that sense. If you think about the lower part of the scapula moving down instead of the shoulders it's easier to do. This actually opens up the shoulder joint and helps with impingement. If you do it enough, it will become second nature. The chest muscles become more open as the back muscles strengthen and the result is better posture. Remember it's about better, not perfect posture.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-16, 06:47 PM  
BunnyHop

When I do a seated meditation, I find my spine, shoulder blades and hips kind of find their own 'right' place to be without anything feeling forced. Yes, my back is straight, my shoulder blades are back and down, my hips are doing whatever it is, but the posture is comfortable, not contorted.

For me, when working out, that same position seems to be the right one as well. Kind of a matter of finding the right subtle balance of my body parts in relation to one another. Moving or still, if you see what I mean. Letting go of bad habits, not forcing myself into an unnatural position.
Old 03-10-16, 03:40 AM  
Gancho Girl

It depends what you're trying to accomplish - there are moments when I encourage my clients to feel the muscles between their shoulder blades working, but I frown on squeezing them together.

I do a whole shoulder exploration with clients to help them understand how their shoulder blades should be positioned, but it's a bit hard to write down. But, basically, don't send your shoulders back - it makes the muscles between over-recruit and get pinchy (and cause problems). Your shoulders should naturally sit in a position where your arms are just in front of your shoulders; think about your shoulder blades (which are a curved shape, to match the curve of your ribs) resting easily on the curve of your back ribs.

It's easier to take people through in real life!

I often encourage clients to think about keeping their collarbones open, rather than collapsed, without stress or tension. It helps most.

Sorry, I may have just confused you more....

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-16, 06:56 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
I know I've been quite active with questions lately....
Speaking for myself, I'm enjoying your questions! They make me think, and I'm learning from the answers.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote