Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-20-19, 07:31 PM  
Buzzer

FIRM VOL 1... DONE!!!!

I swear to God, I thought I would die during this one, but I DIDN'T!! I didn't even almost die!! it was good! I did use lighter weights, and copped out on some of the reps on the floor side lying leg work... she used heavy weights, I used my 2's. I actually had to skip some reps on the bent knee lifts, and on the leg shoots. I will work up to this!!!

Hard to believe I used to do this with 8's, 10's and 15's. Sometimes even 20's!! The upper body wasn't too bad, the floor legs was the hardest. I kept my shoes on for the leg work on all 4's, and also used 3 pound ankle weights. Lets see what I say tomorrow.

So back when my sister got married in 1991, someone loaned my Mom Vol 1 to get in shape. We did the workout every other day for probably 6 or 7 months, and walked the other days. We all were in great shape!! My Mom was probably my age at the time, so even though I am kinda panicked to do cardio and weights, because when I was doing JNL fusion was when I had the massive weight gain all in one month.... I know it was probably not due to the workout but due to hormonal shifts or something... but I still have that panic. I have not done intense cardio and weights since then. I have been erring on the side of barre and Callanetics. Now I am sticking my toe into the Firm, and I am feeling a bit scared (I cannot afford to gain ANY more weight!!) and really excited.

But, it worked for my Mom when she was my age, hopefully that will mean I will be OK. hopefully I see some good results and alleviate my fears!!

We put up our Christmas tree today, we are planning to take our Christmas card picture tomorrow, and are totally getting into the Christmas thing. We are watching more Christmas movies, I got almost all my shopping done online... I am getting it done early since so many things start to take 3 weeks to get here anymore. I used to be able to order mid December and be ok, now I am making sure to get things early! One thing I got already says "will be delivered between Dec 3 and Dec 28" so I will have to find a backup gift I can get last minute if need be. crazy.

The puppy is awesome. The worst he does is he sleeps in his water bowl, and loves to paw at the water and dump it. The carpet is always soaked. We are filling up his water bowl only a bottom full so he doesn't dump as much of it. He is quiet, still polite, gentle (even when he is mouthing), and has not destroyed anything of value yet. Whoo hoo!! Winner!

It's snowing tonight (started raining a few hours ago, now it's snowing!) so I'm waiting until tomorrow to take the picture for our card so there's snow on the ground outside. We are supposed to get another 4"!!

Eventmom: So while we were at GWL, the mechanic called and said thet my car was ready!! They had a big job scheduled, and it was cancelled so they got it done. Then I found out that they were leaving that night (Monday) and not coming back until Friday, so if that job wasn't cancelled, I would not have been able to have my car until Friday afternoon. I'm so grateful to whoever cancelled!! It's a small town mechanic I have known since before I could drive, so he does a good job and I wouldn't trust anyone else with my car. It would have been worth the wait, but I'm glad it's taken care of. it was an fairly inexpensive fix, which is unusual for cars, so I am grateful for that too.

Hi Ebianco! I was thinking of you during my Firm today. I know you would have slayed me on it. Probably loaded up with leg weights, ankle weights, and very heavy weights. I hope you are doing better!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 07:22 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

monday - cool it off express
tuesday- fitprime 6 day trainer back & bi + christy taylor spice 20
wednesday - fp floor legs & abs + 20 min ta cardio
today - fitprime dancey moves + ta express leg and butt segments

buzzer - wow volume 1! I used to have it, but volume 3 was my first firm and still a favorite! it's great you can get through it. glad you are enjoying your new puppy.

hi ebianco!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-19, 06:59 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Fat Blaster.. DONE!

I wanted a cardio workout, and this was Volume 1 lite. Very lite. I don't know why I didn't notice that before! It was like taking Volume 1, and doing less reps of the exercises, and instead of lots of runs she did grapevines and step touches. Even the side lying leg work was similar, only less reps. It was good!

I actually liked it, even though I was looking for cardio. I remember hearing to warm up and to get rid of soreness, do the exercises from the workout without weights or lighter. That's what it reminded me of, either a super long (45 minute) warm up for Vol 1, or a workout to get over Vol 1 soreness.

I did NOT like the instructors shorts in the workout. They were those '90s bubble shorts that are not flattering at all, and when she leaned over they ballooned out and showed up to her tush. You can tell it was early '90s also because half the cast was in leotards and tights, the other half in shorts and sports bras. There was a guy who was kinda emaciated with a tank top on with the arms cut out so far the hole was basically the entire side of his tank, and he just didn't look healthy. I was surprised to see him in a Firm.

There also was an older woman that looked so elated to be there! I loved her and wonder if she's still going. The set was the jungle set, which was fun. I did not like "Be kind to your webbed footed friends" (or whatever the song is really called, that's the only way I know it, but I know it's a patriotic song) during the warm up. It did NOT fit. I like the volumes with music that fits the workout, and that was the most unusual, ill fitting music. PLUS, she cranked it up so it blasted in the video. it was annoying.

It was a decent workout though, but I don't know what to call it. it wasn't cardio, it wasn't weights, it was just.... vol 1 lite. that's all. A good workout if you aren't ready in the least for Vol 1.

We got our Christmas card done yesterday.. I planned it for days (if not weeks!) and we literally had to get the shot done in 30 seconds while the puppy and dog were still. I think we did OK. Luckily LB cooperated too!! Sometimes she can have the craziest looks on her face, and luckily she actually looked happy. I doubt we could recreate it at all, so I am totally grateful!

I about have my Christmas shopping done, except for DH. YAY!!

Yesterday we had an ice storm. Everything is covered in ice. Even the little weeds look like they have fuzz on them. It's beautiful, but cold!!! This morning I took the dogs out, and there's probably 2" of snow and it's still snowing. the puppy wanted to stay out and play, but I was cold. The dog is sitting on the deck in the snow, happy as a clam.

So today I will do another volume (I don't know which one yet!!), send LB out with the puppy to play in the snow, and we are going to her friends birthday party this evening. It's gonna be a fun day!!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 11-23-19, 09:29 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Saturday!

Catching up from last week. My knee is slowly but steadily starting to feel a little better, so I've been a little more bold with my workouts. No real cardio and still being really gentle and deliberate, but I can do a little standing work now.

From last week:

Last Saturday: Pure Barre Essentials 1, the easiest of the new Pure Barre workouts. My knee wasn't thrilled with the knee dancing or standing legs, but I felt great since it was more intense than what I had been doing. My knees were achy for about an hour after so I decided to keep this one on reserve and keep gauging how I feel maybe every other week or so.

Last Sunday: Barlates Upper Body Burn, "Micro Iso" (30 m) which was mostly high rep/light weight barre work with a little bodyweight work at the end, then Classical Stretch 1029.

Mon/Tues: Planned rest days

Wed: Barlates Upper Body Burn, "Interval Weights" which was only 23 minutes but it was really fast moving and intense, definitely my favorite so far.

Thurs: Firm Basics Sculpting with Weights with Tracie Long. I was very slow on the cardio because I could tell it would be pushing it if I bounced around more, and did all the squats unweighted, and instead of the lunge work I tried some standing barre again, which felt much better than the previous Saturday!

Fri: Barlates Belly Burn, "Firm It" which was all mat abs, c-curve and pilates style, plus about 10 minutes of CS.

Today: Firm Tortoise because I knew it was all no impact and the step aerobic ballroom dancing wasn't too intense. My knee had slight ache by the end of the workout but now it's later in the day and I feel great, so I feel like I'm headed in a positive direction still. No idea what I'll do tomorrow

I can definitely feel my arms have firmed up again, with all the arm work I've been doing! I'm finally able to really test out the Barlates Upper and Belly Burn DVDs which are mostly winners. It feels like an extension of her Mix and Match DVD set.

Eventmom I love the Fitprime compilation 6 Day Trainer! I used to do the kickbox cardio all the time, and I like the yoga one too but your'e right it's not really true stretching.

Buzzer I share your love of Firm Vol. 1 (although Eventmom I love Vol. 3 too!!) When you said Fat Blaster I was thinking the tri-trainer one with Allie/Nancy/Lisa Kay, which I really like. I have never one the jungle ones in my entire Firm history! When I was younger they seemed too kooky (even for me and I love the library setting) and now they look like they are much less intense and it sounds like this one is. Haha I'm going very light on my workouts lately, I use light ankle weights and pretty heavy on my arms but no weight at all for my legs, until my knee is healed. I was able to do one set of assisted, non-weighted leg press today but didn't push my luck and skipped the second set.
Old 11-24-19, 08:59 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Vol 2... DONE!
Firm Ballroom Aerobics.. DONE!

I can't believe I didn't check in with these! vol 2 I did pretty good on. I love that it's heavy on upper body, because after vol 1 which is heavy on lower body, I was grateful for the upper body work. I used 2's, 5, 8 & 10's. Although, I did have to drop down my heavy weight to 8's for the many, many bicep curls and overhead presses. I used to use 15's as my heavy weight, and when I "grew out of the firms" way back when, I was using 20's (which were too heavy to move so fast so I was always pausing the workout). now I am dropping down to 8's. I will return!!

Ballroom Aerobics I had my piece of paper inside that I do to say what the workout is like, and it said that it was for tired or just needing fun days. It wasn't totally easy, I broke a sweat for sure. I did like it, and will do it again. It also got in some steps for the day!! I enjoyed it a lot. I remember too when I was in super woman shape, I would do the ballroom aerobics on the higher of the two sections of the fanny lifter. This time I used the lower.

Today should be a volume again. I don't know which one yet! I am finding myself excited and thinking "I will lose weight now! I can't wait until my shirts are too big for me!" because I know Firm works. However, I also know I'm in a phase of life where maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. Maybe I'll lose weight, maybe I'll gain it. It's like a struggle in my head. I hope I will lose weight and gain muscle, oh, and cardio endurance!, but I know there's always the chance I could end up gaining fat and being unable to lose it. I'm praying I lose weight and tone up though. please!!!

So we are expecting anywhere from 4-50" of snow Monday and Tuesday. I love how they can't figure it out. Lb and I went to Walmart yesterday to get our thanksgiving stuff, just in case we can't get out of the house before Thanksgiving.

The puppy is still doing awesome. LB has trouble training him because of her teeny tiny squeaky voice. He thinks she is a playmate rather than an alpha, and he doesn't take her seriously. I remember the older dog taking a few years to take her seriously, but it's frustrating to her. He'll get there, but in the meantime he is super fast (we call him a shark) to get her sleeves and hold on. No holes in things yet though!

He does love to sit in his water bowl, sleep in his water bowl, and dump it. DH bought him a tray for under his bowl so he stops soaking our floors. he's always wet though!! It's frustrating for DH, but LB and I find it hilarious. We fill his water bowl up only about 1/2" so he doesn't get everything too soaked when he dumps it 1,000 times a day!!

Ebianco: I'm so happy your knee is doing better. I felt mine after Vol 1, but it's been good all the other workouts. I hear it crunching like I'm rolling chip bags through all the workouts though!! I hope you get to a point where it's loud but not too painful anymore. I remember it seemed like it took forever for it to feel better, and stop grossing me out when I could feel my kneecap track wrong.

The jungle Firms are very easy. I was kinda disappointed, but it was good for the day I did it on. I figure I will know my Firms much better when I am done with this rotation!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 11-25-19, 06:41 AM  
Buzzer

Firm complete Aerobics and Weight Trainings (BSS2)... DONE!

I like this one. It wasn't too easy, not too hard. I could have used heavier weights () which I'll remember next time. I used 3's (dropped to 2's part way through, without realizing I was pretty much at the end and could have finished with 3's), 8's and 10's. I also got to use my sculpting stick!!! My stick is starting to dry rot in the pink part though, so it left little pieces of pink sculpting stick padding all over my hands every time. I got it at goodwill for like, $5 a few years ago though, so I can't complain.

My left shoulder, the one where I hurt my rotator cuff years ago, was bugging me on the chest presses and flies. I don't know if it's adjusting or just cranky, but it didn't bother me after the workout. I used 10's for those. I am working on focusing more on the inner thigh work, since Ebianco reminded me that the knee thing is from an imbalance of those muscles!! I liked the abs in this workout too. Overall, I liked the workout.

This was my first tall box step workout in my Firm rotation, and today (the day after) I can walk, and don't feel sore. Another win!! I am impressed now more with my Ttapp and short CF rotation because I really thought I'd be so sore I couldn't walk after starting the Firms. So far, I've been doing good!!

I try to hold some sort of Ttapp form while I'm working out, but it's HARD. Very hard. I will have to work up to that more. I do it when I can though.

So it looks like now they are saying 8-9" of snow for us up here. Not too bad. However, some reports are saying up to 14". So, as always, we will wait and see. LB and I have a few errands to run I forgot I had to do when we were out and about on Saturday (you know, minor things like get coffee! and get dishwasher soap!! things I seriously shouldn't have forgotten!!) then we are camped in until at least Wednesday watching the snow!!!

Today I am planning on another Cardio Firm, I'm eyeing Cardio Burn. We'll see what I end up doing!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 11-26-19, 06:26 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

hi!
sorry to be mia - wrapping up a big research project and our dd is applying for job that would be amazing if she got it.

friday - fitprime lower body + Karen voight cardio
saturday - fitprime cardio step + 10 min TA arms
sunday - fitprime pilates stretch

- so okay these three workouts in a row is just plain no good. The cardio step is tall box and the pilates stretch is lower body, barely any stretching. basically - 3 lower body days in a row which makes no sense given how this workout rotation is designed. I'll sub a different cardio next time.

monday - essentrics flexibility for athletes
today - karen voight strength off her sleek essentials.
I think I don't want the work of figuring out a rotation right now.

buzzer - you are a firm fanatic right now! glad you can just stay home if the weather turns bad. I'm looking at rain so no riding my horse for a few days.

ebianco - such good news that your knee is improving! good for you being careful.
Old 12-01-19, 05:16 PM  
Buzzer

Wow! Where have I been???
Cardio Burn
Vol 3
Cardio Overdrive
Super Sculpting
Maximum Cardio Burn
and today... Total body Shaping Mix.. ALL DONE!

I didn't realize I hadn't been checking in! My schedule is all off though with DH home, the new puppy, and shopping for Christmas instead of checking in. I think I am all done with Christmas shopping though!!

So I did Vol 1, 2 and 3 in a row. I swear I know all of those by heart!! I loved them! I am using 8-10 as my heavy weights, 5-8 as my medium, and 3-5 as my light weights. Today with Total body shaping mix, I used 10's on the step ups and my legs were feeling it today going up the stairs at church!! Wow. I used to hold 20's for that. I have a lot to work up to!!

I am really feeling like I am gonna lose weight on this rotation, but we'll see. its like my heart is all "yay! this is gonna work! It's the Firm!!" but my hormones and body are all "yeah. I'll show you!! We are gonna gain or just stay the same!" but at least I know I will gain strength. that is really the goal I am trying to keep in my head.

I am liking the Firm cardio's I have chosen so far. not too difficult. I am avoiding the maximum cardio one for now, I remember that was a butt kicker!!

My goal right now is to get through with good form, increase my weights (and strength), and increase my cardio performance. Not have to take any breaks. If I lose any weight, I will just be happy.

We ended up with 18" of snow!! Taking out the new puppy at 4am when I wake up was cold and funny... funny because he was all of maybe 7" to his shoulder trying to go through 18" of snow. we had to knock down trails for him and he would just follow them. he's doubled in size since we got him just 2 1/2 weeks ago!! he's still a great puppy. Doesn't nip that much, but man he loves to chew on LB. We call him "shark" because he can move so fast to get her sleeve we don't even see him do it!!

he loves his water bowl, and we can't give him much water because he's always giving himself a bath in it. he's always wet somewhere!! I gave him probably 5 bowls of water yesterday, and all of them were soaked into his body or dumped. he's a water dog!

I have been working on getting christmas presents bought (last year I waited and was embarrassed when I realized, after everyone was opening their gifts, that I had given everyone SOCKS!! What the what? how did I not notice that???). I am pretty proud of the fact that it went pretty easy and for pretty cheap!!

I found some good deals.

I also have spent the last few days going through the house and getting rid of stuff. stuff that LB wants to keep but doesn't touch.. it goes out to the shed. Then I will go through it and decide what to bring to the consignment store, and what will go to goodwill. the house looks much nicer!!

I hate taking pictures at Christmas and worrying about the clutter in the background. this year I am being more proactive on a lot of things

we got our christmas card done, I hated it, so now we are getting it re-done, we went to zoo lights a few nights ago and it snowed about an inch in less than an hour! LB was in the wagon with a blanket, and you could barely see the blanket! It was fun. We had crazy wind yesterday that made all the snow hard and crusty, so now the puppy walks on top of the snow, and occasionally breaks through and is in snow up to his chin or more....

My workouts have been good. I am really liking this rotation. I am struggling to get the ttapp form, but sometimes there's exercises that I can do it. lots of lunges and legs ! I forgot how leg and lunge heavy firm is.

I hope you guys are doing good! Looks like we've all fallen off the checkin wagon this week!!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 12-03-19, 09:23 AM  
Buzzer

Super Cardio Mix... DONE!

I must have either loved this workout and did it a lot in the past, or did the workouts that are compiled on it a lot, because I knew all the routines by heart!! I need to look up the lady in the first part of it though. I remember always thinking she was so pretty and elegant. I still think she is!

So it's discouraging when I do a workout and think "this was a great cardio workout!" and I had trouble doing all the moves 100%. I didn't lift my knees that high, I took out some of the jumping and bouncing, and didn't use great form for a lot of it (shallow squats, not a lot of spunk in my aerobics moves). Then I look at the notes I wrote from about 15 years ago (or more), and it says "good for easy/light/sore days. Not too hard."

I know I have a long way to go to being even in half the shape I was then. I have a new goal of getting to the point where some of my notes from years ago are true!!!

I did notice a lot more bouncing in my body than there used to be... a lot more waves that continue through my body parts that didn't used to wave. I was actually surprised at how much extra padding I noticed. I think not doing these workouts for a while really is driving home that fact. I remember seeing myself in the mirror doing some of these moves, and to see how I look now doing them has been kinda a shock for me. I think I am realizing how much I have gained. I am determined to keep up with the Firm and see if it can help me!!!

I remember someone telling me (while we were practicing the Heimlich maneuver) that she had never felt such tight abs before in her life. now I feel my abs, and I think "wow. I don't even feel abs". I was doing the Firm when she said that. I am finding all sorts of reasons and memories that bring me back to the firms. I gained a lot of weight while doing JNL, although I don't know if the two were coincidental or really causation, but in my mind they were related. However, I lost a lot on the Firm, so I need to stop thinking that weights and cardio will make me gain, and focus on the fact that they will make me strong and hopefully get rid of some of that extra bounce in my body. At least make me strong muscle and cardiovascular-wise.

I am sore today though. I forgot how leg heavy the Firm is!! All of my clothes fit the same, I am not feeling like my waist is trimming up, and I am not going up in weight yet. I have given it at least 10 workouts (see results in 10 workouts!!) but one thing I can say is my abs are always sore. that's good, right??

Today is CC day and a day off from working out. We did urban air last night with a friend, and it was fun. Lb slept with me, and the big dog did too. He sleeps next to me, but it was nice to be surrounded by a little squeaker and a big protector

The wind has been NUTs lately. we have 85+mph gusts on Sunday, and today it's already windy. it makes me feel kinda cranky though. since I have to teach today (tutor), I am hoping I'm not too cranky!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 12-03-19, 03:02 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

still busy with getting this research project as wrapped up as possible.

wed - KV sweat
thursday - kundalini for kidney & adrenals
friday - KV strength
satur - KV sweat
sunday - KV sleek - so I tried to do the side plank, could sort of do it for a few seconds on my left arm; on my right arm as soon as I straightened my underneath leg my arm collapsed. later that day my right trap started to hurt.
Monday - barre3 not sure which one and charlene prickett
today - kick, punch,jab + miranda CS shoulder workout which just didn't get into the spot I hurt.

I'm just not sure what to do on workouts right now. I am not up for designing a rotation, the naturopath who told me to quit exercising (then I got asthma) is in my head and i'm just floundering.

buzzer - I hear you on struggling to decide what's the right workout. wind gusts of 85, yikes. you made me feel guilty about holiday stuff. We did manage to buy gift cards for niece and nephews. so if i can get those off soon.

waveis!