Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-16, 06:44 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Maybe they sign a contract that they'll stick it out until they're kicked off the show.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 07:03 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyBlue View Post
Yoni Freedhoff wrote a Facebook post to make it clear that his quotes were misrepresented.

It's a public post, so I presume it's OK to post:

'Today you're likely to come across a Biggest Loser article with some quotes from me. Wanted to let you know how badly the reporter misrepresented my actual statements to her. Consequently I can't recommend or share the piece as judging from how my words were used, it's difficult for me to trust the rest of the story.'

I thought I'd chip in, as I too have a lot of time for Yoni and I would hate for his views to be misinterpreted.
Thank you, RubyBlue. That comment about surgery being essential was not consistent with anything I've heard him say!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 09:37 AM  
leigh1673

Wow, it just gets more disturbing. I despised this show even before I know about any of these crazy behind-the-scenes events.

And this? This I totally believe:

Quote:
Harper, Gwynn says, told her off-camera to lie about how much she was eating and losing. In keeping her daily log, Gwynn says Harper told her, “Lie and say you were following the directive of intaking 1,500 calories — but I want you to do 800 calories or as little as you can.”
All you've gotta do is read his "Jumpstart to Skinny" book to see that these are the methods that he believes in to lose weight quickly. It's really messed up.

And the stuff about putting the contestants all into one bedroom, having to shower together and use a Port-a-potty? Like, whaaat? I can't even.

Quote:
Freedhoff says it’s extremely rare for an obese person to permanently lose half their body weight through diet and exercise: surgery is the only way, so there will never be a control group to prove the study’s thesis.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the quotes that was misrepresented. I wonder if he actually said something more to the effect of: "it's extremely rare for an obese person to lose half their body weight through diet an exercise in such a short period of time"
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 08:00 AM  
Sophie

Though it will get less coverage than the NY Post article, Freedhoff explains himself somewhat in his blog today: http://www.weightymatters.ca/2016/05...s-explain.html

Quote:
And yes, despite what the article misquoted me as saying, plenty of people have lost 40-50% of their body weights without surgery, but generally those losses occur with extremes of effort (like they do on The Biggest Loser). What I'd like to know is whether or not losing comparable amounts of weight slowly would lead to similar outcomes

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 08:40 AM  
alydinva

I'm no fan of The Biggest Loser, but the New York Post is a tabloid.
alydinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 09:57 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Maybe they sign a contract that they'll stick it out until they're kicked off the show.
I recall contestants who have voluntarily left the show during filming, but I am sure that there are contracts with many requirements. They must have lots of requirements about confidentiality, and not revealing behind-the-scenes secrets. That would explain why it takes years for secrets to come out. Either the contracts have restrictions for a given number of years, or the contestants wait until the statute of limitations runs out for bringing a lawsuit for breach of contract.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 10:06 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

"Reality" shows have absolutely nothing to do with reality. It is show business and created to make money. It's like watching "The Walking Dead" and thinking that is real.

I've always found TBL condescending, exploitative and disturbing. As I find the vast majority of "reality" shows.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 11:02 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
"Reality" shows have absolutely nothing to do with reality. It is show business and created to make money. It's like watching "The Living Dead" and thinking that is real.
snip
Ha ha, too true. Now if I could only get them to turn off the tvs in the gym locker room, I could never see a reality show again.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 03:32 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
From what I've read about the contestant's experiences and how they are treated when they arrive, and the way their contact with family is limited, it is textbook - essentially word-for-word - the techniques that cults use to control their members. They don't need a contract, and are in a better legal position without a contract forcing people to continue to follow the really damaging path set out for them. Instead, they need the people to think that they chose this path for themselves and something terrible will happen to them if they leave it.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 04:17 PM  
jenn38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydinva View Post
I'm no fan of The Biggest Loser, but the New York Post is a tabloid.
I was thinking the same thing. The Post is more famous for it's page six celebrity news then for reporting actual news.

Tags
biggest loser, reality shows