Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-16, 09:38 PM  
lorajc

Question About Form, The Kettlebell Swing & Different Instructor's?

So, I think I'm becoming a bit of a KB purist of late....and some DVDs where the instructor's aren't KB instructor's are sort of grating on my nerves....however, I've even been noticing some form differences lately RE: the Swing. I see one Instructor that I do a lot of (and this is the way I do them) that hinges and doesn't go that low....and it's NO WAY a squat!! Then....today previewing a DVD for a workout....see an Instructor that is RKC and she is going way down....almost looks like she's squatting!

Will someone kindly explain this to me? Is there a Russian versus another way....where form is different.....technique is different, etc.? This is all I could think of....it confuses me.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 10:14 PM  
GinaXOXO

I think this is a great question. The best results, and most consistent with exercise I have been, was with kettlebells about 5 years ago. I didn't dread the workouts and i was so much stronger. But, progressively I could feel that I was having problems with my back. It got to the point where I was scared and stopped.

I was using Skoog and Lauren Brooks--both are suppose to be top notch instructors. And, both seemed to be different in their advice about how far to swing back, swing above the head, and squat. I was doing them both so I don't know if I would have nixed one of them I would have been safer.

I'm going to the chiropractor now and told him I would like to do kettlebell workouts again. Once I get the all clear I would love to know how to do the workouts safely.

Also, interesting, is that if you use a kettlebell that it too light you risk doing it with wrong form. ????

I'll be watching the comments. Love kettelbell workouts!! They are so good for toning--especially the core.
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 10:24 PM  
LAC

Hinge not Squat demo by Tracy Reifkind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxQTJNup11I
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-16, 01:05 AM  
lorajc

Thanks...yes...that's the way i do them and my favorite instructor....however... The person I was watching today must have done them improperly but she was Rkc??
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-16, 01:27 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
Thanks...yes...that's the way i do them and my favorite instructor....however... The person I was watching today must have done them improperly but she was Rkc??
Even people with certifications can do things wrong.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-16, 05:56 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Great question! To add to the confusion, I recently read (but did not bookmark the site, sorry!) there could be a difference in the hinge for the swing vs how you hinge for a clean movement. The article I read seemed to infer that movements close to the body start with more of a squat than a hinge. Does anyone have info about that?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-16, 06:49 AM  
Jeanne Marie

It's definitely a hinge of the hips. I see people trying to use their arms to get the kettlebell up all the time. That's incorrect. I find swinging a 50 or 60 lb kettlebell easier than a lighter one because of the momentum.

Heavier kettlebells I swing to just horizontal with my arms. If I go lighter I swing to over my head, giving my core a good workout.
Old 02-29-16, 02:07 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
It's definitely a hinge of the hips. I see people trying to use their arms to get the kettlebell up all the time. That's incorrect. I find swinging a 50 or 60 lb kettlebell easier than a lighter one because of the momentum.
Agreeing here. My understanding is that the swing is meant to be a hinge, resembling a deadlift more than it does a squat. But I agree that as presented by different instructors, it can be confusing. And it is definitely meant to be propelled by the lower body - the arms go along for the ride and the upper body creates some stabilization at the top of the lift, but that's it.

I think that perhaps some instructors turn it into something that looks like a squat with more knee flexion, possibly to take pressure off the lower back and hamstrings, but the hip hinge should still come first in the hierarchy of movement, and it's the hip snap that should drive the swing.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-16, 02:13 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Great question! To add to the confusion, I recently read (but did not bookmark the site, sorry!) there could be a difference in the hinge for the swing vs how you hinge for a clean movement. The article I read seemed to infer that movements close to the body start with more of a squat than a hinge. Does anyone have info about that?
That is how it works for me in practice - the swing for me is all about hip hinge, and I do it with the intention of keeping most of the focus on the posterior chain. But if I'm going to clean from the floor or snatch, it is a more linear movement close to the body rather than an arc. So to facilitate that, you do need more knee flexion and yes, it will look a bit closer to a squat - without actually being a squat.

and of course, individual morphology, difference in form to protect from injury etc etc will factor into this.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-16, 02:21 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

One of the first k-bell DVDs I bought ages ago was Anthony DiLuglio's (sp) Kettlebell Clinic. He places the kettlbell behind the feet. He then almost squats to hike the kettlebell. I noticed I started having a lot of pain in my knees. I tried other instructors like Pavel T. and he does a hinge and not a squat. Lauren Brooks puts the kettlebell in front of the feet and hinges.

I also took a class with an RKC instructor and there was no squatting for a swing.

The minute I did the non-squat type of hinge, my knees felt better.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell form, kettlebell swings