Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-30-20, 10:44 AM  
psupam

Anyone Tried Pure Barre?

I am wondering about the benefits of these classes. I have bad knee arthritis and right now my exercise consists of my elliptical, and weights and the stationary bike at the gym. I am having my knees replaced this year and hope to eventually return to walking (running went a long time ago), the FIRM (my former weight training), and low impact aerobics. A barre studio has opened near my house and I am intrigued but do these classes really do much good? I would be interested in some feedback. Any tips about surviving the surgery would be welcomed as well; I an having them done one at a time.
psupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 11:35 AM  
sherry7899

I cannot help with your questions, but you may want to start a separate thread about knee surgery so more people will see that question. Good luck

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 11:43 AM  
violingal3

I'm not sure, out of all the barre workouts I've dabbled with I know the least about Pure Barre. I am toying with signing up for Bar Method's $3 online promo for a month just for fun, have you heard about it (today is the last day)?
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 11:48 AM  
leigh1673

I've yet to try it, but I have been wondering about this too, as there is a studio opening near me as well (and I think - based on your username we might live in the same area and have the same alma mater! )
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 12:19 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Barre is wonderful exercise! I discovered it years ago and have never looked back. It is great no-impact exercise--very challenging without the jarring movement of other types of exercise.

I've tried all the major barre brands, and while I really like Pure Barre, I'm not sure it's the best for someone with injuries. In my experience, the instructors are hit or miss. If there is a studio near you, it's not a bad idea to try it out, though! They often offer a first class for free and if you explain your situation, they may be able to offer you some modifications. There is certainly a lot of competition between barre studios these days, so PB might have upped it's game on this sort of thing.

I would suggest Bar Method or barre3 for someone with injuries. Bar Method has much more attentive instructors, and barre3 is very accepting of doing things your own way. They would encourage you to modify to your heart's content, even if you are doing something completely different from anyone else!

There are a lot of ways to modify barre for injuries. You might also want to check out pilates. With knee injuries, some pilates moves might be a little easier.

Let us know how you get on... I hope your surgery and recovery go well!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 12:58 PM  
psupam

I live in Pittsburgh and graduated from Penn State in 1971.
psupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 01:33 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I have advanced osteoarthritis in my right knee. I belong to my local Pure Barre studio. I modify when I need to. You can speak with the instructor before class and ask for suggestions for modifications. My knee-supporting muscles are strong now and my balance has really improved.

Try a "Foundations" class, which is the intro.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 06:20 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I’ve been struggling with a lot of knee pain the past 18 months or so (patellar chondromalacia) and have had to really scale back my workouts. I’m no longer running or doing any high impact (even bouncing on the rebounder which I had really gotten into) or really any cardio. I’ve been doing mat work only and gradually worked back up to barre since quad strengthening is my main goal and barre is so wonderful for that, and I LOVE barre and it is at least a fun, challenging workout I can do right now.

I have countless barre DVD’s and do not attend in person classes, and Pure Barre is my absolute favorite and all I’m really doing right now for barre, about 2x a week right now and I’m also doing MR Getting Better which is awesome. I am making sure to go more shallow on the standing thigh work than I used to but I still get a lot of muscle engagement, also, I am very much limiting any kneeling work (knee dancing and table). Even with a pillow under my knees it is still an irritant for me. I’m sure Bar Method would be great, and Callanetics is mostly mat so that is another good choice, but I don’t think my knees can handle P57 or Booty Barre for a long time.

With the precautionary modifications I’ve taken with Pure Barre, I feel like it has been restorative for my knees.

I have tried doing classic Firm many times with no impact cardio and I’m still not there yet, but can’t wait for when I can do that too.

Good luck with your knee replacements!!
Old 01-30-20, 07:12 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

What is barre anyway? It seems all the instructors have barre workouts now, and many of them have nothing to do with a barre or even a chair to hold on to. I think there are a lot of high rep, light weight workouts called barre and that some are called barre for lack of any other way to categorize them. Just like yoga. I don’t do true yoga, but I do a lot of what I consider to be stretching routines that are called yoga (jessica Smith, bless her heart, has several). I get confused easily.

There is a Pure Barre studio opening very near me, and I wouldn’t know what to expect.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 12:25 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
I have advanced osteoarthritis in my right knee. I belong to my local Pure Barre studio. I modify when I need to. You can speak with the instructor before class and ask for suggestions for modifications. My knee-supporting muscles are strong now and my balance has really improved.

Try a "Foundations" class, which is the intro.
Cynthia did you have pain/discomfort?

And if you did have pain, do you still have pain/discomfort?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pure barre