Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-20, 01:19 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sorry for your experience on ebay.

I once bought a magazine subscription that turned out to be fraudulent, and this was in the late 90s or so. this was when ebay didn't have as many avenues for recompense. the seller only accepted checks, which back then, didn't raise too many red flags.

well, I was out maybe $15 - I never rec'd a confirmation of my order, and by then, ebay had shut them down. it was at that point that ebay said I couldn't file a dispute. nowadays, ebay has some kind of guarantee, which wasn't available back then.

otherwise, most of my experiences have been good - including ones where I needed to return something. I haven't sold on ebay in over 10 years. as a seller, I had good experiences, but when I looked at the bottom line results, it's not profitable for me to sell items on ebay due to the distance that things have to be shipped from Hawaii. if I sold again, I would be willing to sell DVDs, but that's about it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 02:41 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I have discovered that many of this seller's feedback are fake. Immediately after my negative feedback, there was a suspicious-looking positive feedback. I then went through his feedback and saw that the same suspicious-looking feedback appeared after his previous negative feedback. I think that sellers on Ebay are making fake accounts or doing something else to beef up their positive feedback.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 03:10 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
That is bizarre and I'm sorry it happened to you.

I just bought a pair of Athleta tights on Ebay....they are new with tags, and perfect. I've always had good luck with Ebay.
That's great, Jackie. Ebay does have some good buying opportunities, and it's nice when it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
I couldn’t agree with you more on the dishonesty on EBay! Several years ago I purchased a DVD set on EBay which was supposed to be in excellent condition. Turns out it was scratched up to the point that some of the DVDs did not work. When I contacted the seller she was very rude and did not want to refund me. I had to threaten to report her and then she reluctantly gave me a refund after sending me a scathing email. Too much drama for me, I would rather pay full price! I haven’t used EBay since then.
I agree, Fitstick; it's too much drama. You don't know who you will deal with on Ebay, and when you encounter a bad apple, it's extremely unpleasant, and can cause loss of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
sorry for your experience on ebay.

I once bought a magazine subscription that turned out to be fraudulent, and this was in the late 90s or so. this was when ebay didn't have as many avenues for recompense. the seller only accepted checks, which back then, didn't raise too many red flags.

well, I was out maybe $15 - I never rec'd a confirmation of my order, and by then, ebay had shut them down. it was at that point that ebay said I couldn't file a dispute. nowadays, ebay has some kind of guarantee, which wasn't available back then.

otherwise, most of my experiences have been good - including ones where I needed to return something. I haven't sold on ebay in over 10 years. as a seller, I had good experiences, but when I looked at the bottom line results, it's not profitable for me to sell items on ebay due to the distance that things have to be shipped from Hawaii. if I sold again, I would be willing to sell DVDs, but that's about it.
Nowadays, Ebay has various procedures for disputes. I should have read about their dispute processes more carefully, before filing my dispute yesterday. It seems that Ebay is helpful to buyers in these types of disputes. I made the mistake of going to Ebay and then to Paypal to file a dispute, and it caused my initial Ebay dispute to be closed. Paypal supersedes Ebay.

I called Paypal this morning because the seller replied to my Paypal claim with more lies. He said that he had conditions for free returns in his listing, but there were no conditions. The listing only said free returns and seller pays return shipping. He also kept arguing how minor the damage was to the items. There was no way for me to respond, so I called and spoke to someone at Paypal, who said I will probably get my full refund in time.
Old 01-17-20, 04:09 PM  
fanofladyvols

The history of my DVD purchases were positive overall. However, the last 3 purchases I have made the DVD skipped, another just didn't play and a set that were unopened had cases that were crushed. So far, those DVDs are working fine. (They came in a pristine mailer so I know they didn't happen in shipping.)
The DVD that didn't work in any player the seller gave me a full refund. The other two I just didn't even bother to leave any feedback because the DVDs work so didn't want the drama.

I won't buy any more clothing because there doesn't seem to be any full disclosure/honesty of item condition. Gently used should not include poorly repaired items, etc.

I've decided thrift shopping is so much more enjoyable

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 05:01 PM  
LAC

Sadly, there are bad apples on both sides - bad sellers and also bad buyers. A couple of years ago my son sold a piece of video equipment on ebay. The buyer claimed it arrived broken and unworking. When the buyer sent back the item, it wasn't even the piece of equipment my son sold him - it had an entirely different serial number. Ebay and Paypal deducted the money from my son's account anyway and refunded the seller. I'm not sure how some people look at themselves in the mirror every day. It's just shameful
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 06:34 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I buy and sell on ebay and have had 99.9% good experiences with both.

However, there are some bad apples (both buyers and sellers). The good news is, as a buyer, ebay will bend over backwards for a buyer to the point where sellers are at a pretty big disadvantage because ebay almost always seems to side with the buyer. You can claim almost anything or raise enough ruckus and get your money refunded it seems, often without even having to return the item.

It's a bit more difficult on the selling side of things if you sell to a bad apple because ebay does not usually have your back though I had my one and only dispute closed in my favor. I think I've only ever had 2 bad apple customers in 8 years of infrequent selling. One I came out even on because I got my money back via USPS because the package was insured. So I just had to deal with a bit of back and forth with the buyer who was mostly reasonable.

With the other bad apple buyer, the dispute was settled in my favor and that guy was a piece of work. I think ebay may have refunded him in the end (like I said, they'll refund almost anyone, especially if it's a small ticket item like it was in my case) but it didn't come out of my pocket and I don't care if it counted as a strike against me by merely having the case opened because I sell so little (I just sell my own personal possessions/crap around the house).

But, all in all, considering the amount of fraud buyers could have carried out against me as a seller over the years, most ebay buyers are honest. For instance, I sold 2 bottles of a very discontinued Aveda leave-in hair conditioner to 2 different buyers. I sold each bottle (not even a 2-liter size) for close to $200 each I think. It was crazy the price they were selling for. Those people could have easily claimed I sent them bad product or fake product (because there's no way for me to prove what's inside the bottle) and got refunded by ebay most likely (if they felt like being dishonest) but both were happy/honest customers.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 06:59 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
Sadly, there are bad apples on both sides - bad sellers and also bad buyers. A couple of years ago my son sold a piece of video equipment on ebay. The buyer claimed it arrived broken and unworking. When the buyer sent back the item, it wasn't even the piece of equipment my son sold him - it had an entirely different serial number. Ebay and Paypal deducted the money from my son's account anyway and refunded the seller. I'm not sure how some people look at themselves in the mirror every day. It's just shameful
We had something weird happen to us selling on Amazon. We sold someone an expensive out of print cd. They asked to return it and mailed us another CD by the same artist, not the one we sold them. We had never sold the title they mailed to us. Amazon refunded them for the more expensive cd, which they obviously kept. Amazon did believe us and used the A-Z guarantee so money was not deducted from our account. Amazon said they had no choice but to refund the buyer, which made no sense to us. They lied and returned the wrong thing.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 08:28 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I agree that both sellers and buyers can be bad apples. DH sold a speaker on Ebay, in perfect condition. Two weeks later, the buyer claimed it didn't work. What had happened was that the buyer broke it. Ebay did help DH with the problem, although he had to get it repaired. Ebay seems to be more helpful if you call and speak to someone.

LAC and Sherry, it is unbelievable that those buyers returned a different item! It is hard to understand how dishonest people behave.

When it comes to shopping, especially online, I make an effort to only purchase from reputable sellers that have excellent return policies. I try to buy using Prime on Amazon, because customer service is better for Prime purchases.
Old 01-18-20, 06:50 AM  
antbuko

I'm sorry you've had this bad experience, Abby! A little shelf wear and tear is one thing, but deceiving a buyer is so unethical. I still have good experiences with eBay. Like you, I also check eBay for hair products and other stuff too. One thing I absolutely HATE about eBay though is that if I am looking for a product that has been discontinued, it seems that eBay sellers will snatch up whatever is left of said product and then sell it at exorbitant prices. They can keep those products!

It's good that you opened a claim, but be aware that Paypal might also only issue a partial refund, but at least it will be a strike against the seller.
Old 01-21-20, 06:05 PM  
DirtDiva

I've never sold anything, but I have bought plenty, including an expensive original piece of art this week. I buy mostly bike-related gear and art, but have also bought "new with tags" clothing like Krimson Klover, Title Nine, etc. I bought a wool vest, and got something that was such a joke, I just stared at it when I pulled it out of the package. What??? Ebay was very quick and the seller refunded me. So out of 172, I got one bad seller, and those odds are pretty good to me.
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebay