Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-16, 10:49 AM  
bubbles76

Yogurt and Cheese Substitutes or Alternatives

Hi all! Since I suffer from bad migraines, in addition to cutting way back on my sugar, a friend suggested that I cut out milk. I have found nice alternatives for everything but cheese and yogurt. I eat cheese in some form every day. I do not do a lot of soy, so I wouldn't be in favor of "fake cheese" that includes it. I am open to coconut, but I gotta tell ya, I hate the stuff. I have found milk that I like - a coconut/almond blend. So I'm at least open to trying a cheese with coconut, if such a thing exists. Or if there is just a way to fake the cheesy goodness with spices, I'm open to that too!

As for yogurt, it's tough for me to find a non-milk sub that (1) isn't soy (2) isn't high in sugar and (3)isn't low in protein. I guess I could add stuff to up the protein, but the only reason I eat yogurt is for the protein boost in the afternoon. Is there something that I could add to the yogurt to really up the protein? I've bought chia seeds, but you need a lot of that for protein boost.

And lastly, for all you non-milk drinkers, how do you get in your calcium?

Thanks all!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 10:57 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Have you tried any nut cheeses? Cashew cheese is quite nice and I hear almond cheese is too, although I haven't tried it. It's a bit of a process to make nut cheese - my son is a chef and they used to make it at one restaurant he worked at. Not sure where you can buy it, maybe Whole Foods?

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 10:58 AM  
Demeris

At the brick and mortar walmart, you can find a hi-protein almond milk called Orgain. I have had to cut way back on dairy, and I like this to use with whey protein:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Orgain-Org...47041379#about

As for cheese--I weep with you for the loss of cheese, but it just doesn't do my body any favors.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 10:59 AM  
Demeris

And I get my calcium from broccoli and brussel sprouts.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 11:00 AM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
And lastly, for all you non-milk drinkers, how do you get in your calcium?

Thanks all!
Hey Bubbles!

Just had to answer this question. I am a vegan, have been a vegetarian since I was 16 and a vegan since I was 45 or 46. I stopped drinking milk in my teens. I'm now going on 59 and post menopausal 5 years. Had my bone scan and the doctors were shocked that my bones are equivalent to a 25 year old's!

Calcium can be found in lots of greens - Kale, Bok Choy to name a couple.

Load up on calcium rich greens and no worries!

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 11:03 AM  
cecififi

Have you tried goat cheeses? We cannot have dairy in our home. Many years ago we discovered goat mozzarella, goat feta, goat cheddar. You have to try a lot of them to find the one that is right for you.

My DH is lactose intolerant while my youngest DD and I have respiratory issues and scratch a lot from dairy. We've all adapted to goat. Also, we only drink almond milk. You can make your own almond buttermilk for recipes that require it (just add a tablespoon of vinegar to a cup). Most recipes are okay with almond milk including pureed soups, gravies and stews e.g. my chicken pot pie sauce is a mix of white wine and almond milk. no one ever notices!!!

It's a drag to not be able to eat yoghurt. I wish I could have greek yoghurt with all that protein. I've found goat yoghurt (has the most protein i have found yet_ but it's pricey when you add in other ingredients to mask the real flavour. Good luck.
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 11:09 AM  
sherry7899

Would you try making chia pudding instead of eating yogurt? I will try to post recipe links tomorrow. I know I have seen vegan recipes for it.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 11:14 AM  
LoveVA

Have you tried sheep's milk yogurt? You might be able to tolerate even if cow's milk yogurt causes problems for you.

I get calcium from that, but I also use almond milk (calcium) in my hot oat bran cereal. Plus I eat tons of greens (kale, collards, etc). They have plenty of calcium. I eat canned sardines, the bones are chewable and also provide calcium.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 11:15 AM  
owltx

Cashew cheese - it's a game changer. My favorite recipe is from Amy Chaplin's Whole Food Kitchen; I can't find the recipe online or I would post a link. It is worthwhile checking out the cookbook from the library in general just for this recipe and the red lentil soup recipe. At any rate, you can google it and several recipes will show up. I am pretty sure Kite Hill makes one too, so you could buy it at a grocery store that stocks such things. At any rate, it is delicious - like a more mild cream cheese. You use probiotics to make it, so you also get good probiotics (you just take probiotic capsules, pull them apart and put them in the blender w/soaked cashews and water). Here is a similar recipe - uses nondairy yogurt instead of probiotic capsules - http://yupitsvegan.com/basic-culture...-cream-cheese/. It is looks complicated, but really you just toss the cashews, water and probiotics in the blender, put in a container and let it sit on the counter for 24 hours hours. Done. Great spread on crackers, wonderful cheese/mayo replacement in sandwiches.

For yogurt, I would suggest trying Kite Hill's Almond yogurt, plain. It is really tasty. It does have sugar, which I wish they did not put in there, but is a very mild taste. 5 grams of sugar, 6 grams of protein. Stir in 1/4 cup of almonds for another 6 grams of protein, and a 1/2 cup of oats for another 5 grams. Top with some berries, yum.
Old 05-24-16, 11:15 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
As for cheese--I weep with you for the loss of cheese, but it just doesn't do my body any favors.
I love you for this comment I love cheese like I love earrings and head scarves. It's nice to find a kindred spirit.

I didn't expect so many quick responses. Keep em coming!

YogaPam, I have not tried nut cheeses. Didn't know there was such a thing. I will be on the lookout.

Demeris and Amoodygirl, I have eaten bok choy, brussel sprouts, and love broccoli. I really love broccoli with cheese, but that isn't helping here. Good for me that I love green leafy vegetables. About how much would you need to eat in a day? Say, cooked, not raw. One cup cooked a day? Two cups?

Cecififi I actually like goat cheese But since my migraines have gotten so bad, I want to try try to eliminate all forms of cheese. But it's nice to know that I may be able to add in goat cheese later, thank you for the hope!

Sherry, I would absolutely try the chia pudding, if it tastes good. Again, didn't know there was such a thing.

Man, I'm really going to miss pizza, but guess I'll have to learn to make my own
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheese substitutes, no milk, non milk, nutritional yeast, yogurt substitutes