Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-13, 01:10 PM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetsal View Post
I got my set yesterday and did Ballet Box. Well, I did most of it anyway. I stopped at about the 45 minute mark because I just couldn't stand it another minute. Not the workout, but the relentless yelling, clapping, babbling, urging, chanting, let's go, let's go, let's go, come on, come on, come on, and counting down the end of EVERY move with "we're looking at 10 more seconds, nine more seconds, eight more seconds...." Well, you get the idea. Apparently we can't be trusted to go for a single count or rep without at least a syllable or two to urge us on. I think the much-mentioned clip where she says "left, left, left, left" when it should be "left, right, left, right" amply demonstrates that she's just talking for the sake of talking rather than actually instructing or cuing. It reminds me of Billy Blanks' non-stop counting to 8 for no apparent reason.

I'll be returning this set immediately. I'm willing to cut Dream Body some slack with the incessant yapping because they are at least good, challenging workouts, but not these! They just weren't challenging and didn't seem well-thought-out enough to warrant putting up with the annoyance.

I can't even imagine that this relentless chatter would be okay in a live class, but certainly not on a DVD you'd want to do more than once. The white background didn't bother me but the backgrounders were another thing. Could we at least try to look like we're having a good time? One of them looked like she was in a trance (probably a reaction to the constant verbal deluge) and the other kept glancing around apprehensively like she expected something to jump out and bite her. And I don't mean that as a dig against them personally, but I assume that they are also instructors at the studio and should be at least a little bit interested in presenting their workout method in a way that would make people actually want to do it.

I'm rarely this irritated by a workout and things that seem to bother others, like a lack of mirror cuing, no warm-up or cooldown, bad or no music, etc. don't usually bother me. I did notice Dasha's persistent chatter in KBKB, but maybe only because I had been forewarned. After a few workouts, I just tuned her out. If I wanted, I could probably just mute Dasha entirely because once you know the moves, you don't really need the verbal cues. With Mixxtreme, at least the one I did, you're up and down quite a bit or in a plank, so you really do need about every 50th word to know what to do when.

I know this is their first effort and I'm not trying to be unreasonably harsh but if chatter bothers you and you want a quality product for your exercise dollars, I really don't recommend this set.

This was such a helpful review!! You completely focused on what you didn't like about the workout & the production and gave specific examples. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this.

IMO, this is a perfect example of a negative review that doesn't cross any VF guidelines nor insult anyone who does like the workout.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13, 01:19 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Yes, Sweetsal, great review. I think it's safe to say this one would drive me bonkers. Appreciate you candor!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13, 01:23 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I did Mixxtreme this morning and my reaction is the exact opposite of, Sweetsal. Just about everything that irritated her about Shandi is what irritated me about Darby and her 1st workout, and 1st set.

First, kudos to Shandi for getting the DVDs right the first time. Absolutely no DRAMA surrounding this set.

I was actually surprised how much I liked Mixxtreme. The pace was just right and it was still very challenging for me, PLUS, I was able to feel the muscle groups that you were supposed to be working instead of just flailing around. I love tough workouts, but I want to feel a sense of accomplishment at the end. I never did with DB. I know many use them as their cardio, but I'd rather run for my cardio.

Another huge bonus for me is that their form is much better than Darby and her background exercisers. That's another thing that really irked me about DB. Their form is horrid. I still have no idea how it is acceptable here at VF where form is usually important.

The inner thigh work and ab work is very challenging, at least for me. I definitely have room to grow with these.

So for anyone who likes the idea of this type of workout but was either intimated by DB, or didn't like DB, there's a chance that you'll like these.

I still have the other two to do, and hopefully, I'll like them as much as do Mixxtreme.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13, 01:36 PM  
edensmom

That is great to hear Debbie. I got mine yesterday and plan to try one out today.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13, 06:12 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
That is great to hear Debbie. I got mine yesterday and plan to try one out today.
I'm curious how you like it. I know you do a lot of DB.

I was actually going to cancel my order with Mary after I read a couple of reviews that were a bit negative, but Mary had just sent it out. So it was a blessing that it was sent out.

This whole workout definitely had a DB feel to it, right down to Shanti's constant chatter, but for some reason, it really didn't bother me. I do think that this is a "controlled" DB type workout, which could also be used as a bridge to DB's workouts.

I do think that Shanti did a great job with the workout. This is her first DVD offering, so we do have to keep this in mind. She's taking her workout from her studio to DVD. So I really have to give her kudos for doing a really good job in her first venture into the DVD world.

Anyway, I'm personally happy that there is another instructor out there who is offering this type of workout.

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
Hope Fimiani
Old 08-27-13, 06:27 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Well, shoot, Debbie. You're really muddy-ing the waters for me.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13, 06:44 PM  
Scbayless

Feeling the same way Nuggie! I'm so on the fence about these. I keep telling my self I don't even need more... but then these keep calling my name. And if this is in my cart it looks lonely, so it has a 200 order total sitting with it lol Oh my.
Old 08-27-13, 07:03 PM  
Darisa

Thanks for your review Debbie! I know that if you like these I will too. Definitely on my wish list.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13, 07:11 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

You're welcome!

Nuggie, I hate enabling, but I just wanted to post a completely different view of the workout.

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
Hope Fimiani
Old 08-27-13, 07:40 PM  
Sweetsal

I will say that I'm glad I tried it and found out for sure that it wasn't for me instead of obsessing about it for weeks. I pre-ordered based on the Facebook clips and descriptions. The Collage clips raised a red flag (for me at least) but when I tried to cancel the order it was too late. I try not to return things, especially to Mary, but sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. If you think you might like it, give it a shot!
Sweetsal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mixxtreme