Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-20, 08:37 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I know I am in the middle of perimenopause -- mid 40s, gained 20 pounds in two years (all in my stomach), went up 2 bra sizes and cup sizes, lots of iron and vitamin deficiencies, really wonky and bizarre symptoms that I never had before, nerve issues, digestion issues, poor sleep, sleep apnea, horrible PMS, irregular cycle lengths, very heavy periods, the list goes on and on!

Has anyone successfully lost any weight *during* perimenopause? I can't do heavy weights anymore, I can't do high impact cardio. I am just coming off a year of medical issues, so I'm just getting back into working out. My digestion has been very poor since I had my gallbladder out last year. I still have anemia since I can't digest iron pills, so I've been really trying to eat really nutrient dense foods since last year. So unfortunately, cutting back on foods kind of isn't in the cards right now.

I'm just feeling like this perimenopause train is running me over and quite literally nothing works anymore!
Awww Lori!
It does feel like that...like it will go on forever.

Side note re: anemia
One thing that helped me is I started to cook off of iron skillets, griddle, pots and pans. I know that seems weird but it really helps.

For me it took post meno to start to get myself back. I want to encourage you to keep walking and swinging arms while walking. Also varying speeds. If you have ANY friends to walk with, please do so. The talking and walking helped me with the mental seesaw I felt. Keep playing with your food to see what nutrients help you feel better.

It really is a time to find what makes you feel good and is good for you. It will get better. ((Hugs))

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-20, 08:40 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

And then if you're hypothyroid too, it's even harder.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 07:36 AM  
Tugger31

Lori, I can totally relate and add to that I had spinal surgery about 5 months ago so I went from doing Cathe to do nothing for awhile! I have many permanent things I simply can't or just shouldn't do anymore physically and it's certainly taken its toll on me mentally and physically. And, add to that not sleeping b/c of menopause issues and physically not getting comfortable it's downright awful some days! I too have gained weight and the bra issue...things people just don't tell you! Amazing though what a new "perkier" bra can do for you though! It has taken about 5 months but I have finally shed my post-surgical weight and that was only about 6-7 lbs, but better late than never!

What has helped me tremendously is simply taking one day at a time and trying not to get overwhelmed with things I can't do and trying not to worry about which workout will I ever be able to do again. It's just too much! I have only been doing walking outside when the weather is nice and then doing Jessica Smith. I have mostly been doing her 30 day set, her first Walk Strong set and her 21 day set. Even with those there were things post-op I couldn't do. I have slowly been increasing my strength training too. Pre-surgery I could do chest presses with 20 lb db's. I have been told not to go heavy anymore, but finally did my first set of 10 reps with 12 lbs. Focus on the small achievements and try to stay positive even if you have to fake it til you make it! As far as diet, I know we can't discuss details, but increasing water, and cutting back on carbs has helped and overall simply watching portion sizes. It's been a long road but I have to look at it now as a journey! Good luck to you!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 09:16 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It's (1) the total lack of not knowing how long I'll continue through the literal hell of perimenopause, and (2) the fear of just how much more worse all of this may get since I could quite plausibly be in this state for many more years. I'm only 46, and I've been having perimenopause symptoms progressively getting worse for about four years, but I felt a real depletion in energy when I turned 40. I was able to bounce back at 40 after taking it easy for a few months, and did lose some weight at that point, which have all returned plus more. With my medical issues, I was told that I can't take any hormones, either bioidentical or prescription. So that just leaves trying to control things with nutrition and exercise.

But after gaining 20 pounds in two years, and really not being able to physically work out for a year, and watching the scale just go up, and having to buy a new wardrobe, I am just searching for absolutely anything to actually help me at this stage. It's the complete unpredictability of literally everything that has me in fits. Case in point, last cycle was 27 days. Now in this cycle, I'm on day 40 and no period in sight, even though I feel like it could start any day with the horrendous month-long PMS I've had. My day pretty much revolves around the swelling that I get every day in my stomach and breasts, to the point that I have to go even one more size up in the afternoon and evening. Sorry to vent, but no one in my circle has had any of these problems. My mom sailed through menopause with no problem, same with my grandma. But I did have a horrendous time during puberty, and a terrible time on birth control in my 20s, and my pregnancy in my 30s was absolutely challenging. I guess it would make sense for my body to suffer so much during what happens to everyone!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 10:03 AM  
donnamp

Ugh - Lori - that sounds just awful. I have no words of wisdom but wanted to encourage you and send a Hug!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 12:54 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Ugh - Lori - that sounds just awful. I have no words of wisdom but wanted to encourage you and send a Hug!

Donna
Thanks, Donna, you always uplift me. I so appreciate your thoughts. Big hugs back to you!
Old 02-16-20, 09:31 PM  
marki64

Wow Lori I can't even imagine! Has yor ob/gyn mentioned a hysterectomy? My SIL is having one this week. She has had very similar symptoms.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 10:54 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Wow Lori I can't even imagine! Has yor ob/gyn mentioned a hysterectomy? My SIL is having one this week. She has had very similar symptoms.
Nope, not an option for me either. I can't have any more elective surgeries because of my blood clots last year, and now that I'm off blood thinners, I really can't do anything that could cause another one.

I had numerous ultrasounds and a CT scan and I don't have fibroids, nor any source of bleeding in my intestines (had a complete EGD and colonoscopy, and also a pill camera). I have many rounds of bloodwork over the past year, and my FSH/LH were deemed "normal" (although at the very low end of each), so according to my stable of doctors, there's nothing that can be done. So frustrating.

I guess if I knew the endpoint, or even if I was nearing the end, or that someday these symptoms may improve when I'm done with periods, that may help me mentally. But without that, it just gets discouraging every day.
Old 02-17-20, 12:00 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

Donna
Just want to say/send the same!! You will get through this.
Old 02-17-20, 12:56 PM  
manleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I guess if I knew the endpoint, or even if I was nearing the end, or that someday these symptoms may improve when I'm done with periods, that may help me mentally. But without that, it just gets discouraging every day.
This is the hardest. Not knowing how long the symptoms will last. I am so sorry you are suffering so much. Perimenopause hit me like a truck so I can relate to the frustration, pain, and being absolutely miserable. I hope you find something that might help with your symptoms and that perimenopause won't last too much longer for you. Hug!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, gall bladder, menopausal weight gain, menopause, multiple workouts per day, over 50, sleep, sparks, weight loss