Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-20, 09:09 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies - Happy Valentine's Day: You Have a Pizza My Heart. February 9

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 09:29 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Thank you for getting us started, Laura!

We're having a snowstorm today - supposedly will be done this afternoon and I'll be out snowblowing and shoveling. Looks like it will be about 6". I don't know if I'll get Gus out to a park today, but he'll be in my back yard while I blow and shovel.

Bee, it seems like we all have hip problems... I thought being hip was a cool thing?

Dede, at least you got out of shoveling! I've got no idea on the foam rolling - haven't done that in quite some time as getting on the floor isn't fun with the replaced knee. I am laying down to do my PT exercises though. Don't worry - it's perfectly normal NOT to want to handle bats! Few people see them as I do in little containers where they aren't flying around - they like hiding themselves under cloth or felt in there.

Paula, I'm sure the elastic loops will be coming shortly - the current exercises are really light. Trying to do them with the buckled hip isn't fun though - my range of motion is down.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 09:46 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I slept in some this morning and it felt good. It looks like the is out today! Today, I need to do some cooking. I may go to the YMCA today since DH has a medical appointment tomorrow morning that I'll take him to.

Bee - I that workout. I did it a LOT. Back then, I was in a VF check-in for exercisers who loved complex choreography. I learned how to do it slowly. Don't know if my brain would do it anymore...

Dede - Well, I hope you enjoy your day without rain today. And, I hope the coming rain is a non-event. I think that feeding the bats is a neat thing for ANITA to do. I don't have much of a desire to join her...

Paula - I remember those days in Mexico! I really enjoyed living vicariously through your time there...

Anita - Ugh. Hope the snow clearing goes smoothly. May you have dry, light snow. I always said that Hughie Lewis' song Hip to Be Square was my theme song back in the day.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 02-09-20, 11:46 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Maybe we are the Hip Crone Cronies!

Oh wow I am so sorry to hear you guys might be shoveling snow especially with hip pain!! We have crazy winds here today!!

Paula, in my previous, younger life (with my ex husband), I sailed a fair bit. We took a bunch of bare boat charters in the BVI and the Grenadines, etc. After we divorced he eventually sold all his possessions, bought a sailboat and planned to sail around the world. He was remarried then and I don't think they made it all the way around, but they did live on the boat for a year.

Laura, that Christie workout does look like fun, but when the complex choreography was mentioned here, I took a closer look at the workout and decided it is probably too tough for me to keep up with! It does seem like fun if one could master it. Instead this morning I did ICE Low Impact Sweat -- just the first part of it on the floor, no step blasts. It was a "blast" -- that is, I really enjoyed it. Just a series of drills that weren't crazy, and if they were too fast or whatever I modified. It was over really quickly. I realized later some day when I'm feeling powerful I should try the step portion without the step maybe. Added on my PT and I'm going to a yoga workshop this afternoon. It's yoga nidra, which always puts me to sleep and I've been awake since 4:30 or 5:00 so it's going to definitely do that today! Good thing I'll be amongst friends.
Old 02-09-20, 09:24 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Yin Yoga with Travis Eliot. Just felt I needed a good stretch. I will do the PT routine before bed.

Anita, hope your snow storm is light. We're getting some rain today - yay. Yeah, I think the elastic bands are coming soon, as are the walking lunges, squats with weights and ... She does have me rolling the effected area - that's the easiest part and the most hellpful.

Laura, yay on getting some good sleep. Hope you were able to get by the YMCA.

Bee, We did some bare boat charters, including the BVI. Interesting about your ex. It's a small world.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-20, 08:05 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC today being bat woman . I did get about 6" of light snow yesterday so ended up using the snowblower and shoveling off my back porch for Gus. I call that a workout and not much fun with the hip . I watched a bit of the Oscars last night - frankly, I don't recognize much of anyone and haven't seen 99.9% of the candidates . My only movies of the last year were Downton Abbey and Star Wars. I'll probably have the street plow pile to clean up this afternoon, but hope to get Gus out for a walk today - hope the parks have had time to clear their paths.

Laura, you got a good snort out of me when you mentioned Hip to be Square .

Bee, did you get your yoga nidra nap in?

Paula, I'm kind of dreading walking lunges as my replaced knee isn't happy with those, but I do hope some intensity gets added to the PT.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-20, 10:41 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

DH had an appointment this morning that I needed to drive him to, so I went to the YMCA yesterday and did a long cardio workout on "my" bike. It felt good. Today's goal is to figure out what I need to do next on my videos/website. I got caught up in job search stuff toward the end of the week and lost track of where I am with the various pieces I was working on.

The sun is out today! It's supposed to cloud up and rain tonight, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts! There's a crocus blooming in our yard.

Bee - Yeah, it is complex choreograpy, not what I enjoy these days. If you ever see Fit to Dance, you might want to try that one. It has a bunch of short segments with varying amounts of cardio and light strength. I liked it because it was fun and I could easily skip the segments I didn't enjoy. Wow. Two boaters in our group. That's interesting about your ex.

Anita - Batwoman. It could be your new persona. Sorry you have more snow to deal with. I saw Laura Dern win and, although I rooted for Kathy Bates, it was good to see someone win I recognized. I especially enjoyed her speech.

Paula - Sundays are a good day for stretchy workouts. Enjoy the rain while it lasts.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 02-10-20, 12:32 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello Cronies! I know what you mean about the Oscars! I didn't watch but I was strangely somewhat glued to the updates -- why do I care?! I don't know!!! I did see Ford v Ferrari, which is a great movie -- a story there, not just all car stuff -- and Little Women. I did hear that Parasite is good -- a couple of weeks ago, so not someone jumping on the bandwagon. Oh, I saw Bombshell, too. Somewhat forgettable, unfortunately. I'm glad they made that movie, but it was depressing to think about the issue and how much things have stayed the same. I still haven't seen the Downton Abby movie -- waiting for it to be on Prime I guess.

I will try to remember Fit to Dance, Laura.

I did enjoy that Yoga Nidra -- not sure I fell asleep but always on the verge of it -- she said that's where I'm supposed to be. I slept so soundly last night!! We had a bit of a crazy day yesterday because we did lose power with all the crazy winds. This is a somewhat frequent occurrence in our area, so we are somewhat prepared with generators, but we always end up with cords, lamps, and flashlights all over the place, so today I need to do some clean up. Although we're supposed to have a planned power outage today. We'll see if that actually happens after their busy weekend.

This morning I did PHA2 from LITE, I think it is. I really mix up the LITE and ICE series. At any rate, that is my favorite PHA workout -- love it! She does two rounds of eight exercises twice. I skipped the second time for the second round, since the upper body stuff is all shoulder/bicep/tricep -- the stuff she overworks. I am continuing my no weights for lower body experiment and it seems to be working, but I thought skipping the second round of lower body stuff would probably be prudent in any case.

Hope you all have a wonderful, productive day!
Old 02-10-20, 10:03 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Well, we are back to rain. And lots of it. Blech.

Laura, I love the theme. I saw this in a Valentine's card at Walmart.

Today I did one of the timesaver premixes from Step Sync. I used the step topper this time since I am a bit more familiar with the choreography. It went fine. I had forgotten how I can battle a little dizziness when I'm first learning a step routine that has spinning. I don't have that problem on the floor. But I didn't trip or anything, and it made the workout a bit more challenging.

Anita, I'm sorry your hip plagued you while snow blowing and shoveling. I hope you said hello to the bats for us.

Bee, I like PHA2 best as well. The first one had too many pullovers, which I can't do anymore. PHA3 is a great workout, but tough. I guess PHA2 is a goldilocks workout?

Paula, I'm glad you enjoy yin yoga. I'm afraid it's too much of a stretch for me. I end up hurting afterward.

Waves to everyone.
Old 02-10-20, 10:33 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jessica Smith's Chair Cardio and Strength followed by my PT routine.

Anita, I count snow shoveling as a good workout. I do understand how that probably hurt the hip - mine hurts just walking sometimes. Maybe they won't give you walking lunges, I couldn't do static lunges because it hurt my left foot so they gave me walking lunges. So rest assured they'll find something you can do.

Laura, no more rain here today - just cold wind. DH had a medical appointment today and it seemed like we walked from one end of the complelx to the other multiple times. By the time we got home I was tired and I wasn't even the one who needed to see a doctor. I admire your persistence in setting up your website. Good luck on the job hunt too.

Bee, I looked at the Oscar nominations for 2020 and realized I hadn't seen a single movie that was nominated. I guess we're pretty dull people. Does Yoga Nija help with sleep? If so I need to try it.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote