Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-04-20, 12:49 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello! Paula, it is so great when the PT "clicks" and yes, very motivating to continue. Glad that's happening for you. Anita, nice to have you join the PT club. Hopefully you will get some relief soon. Yes, I love your new avatar!

Laura, wow, you got a lot done yesterday -- nice! Your cooking sounds yummy.

Yes, thank you -- my stove/oven are fixed! It was the fuse. Hubby had checked it but apparently missed it -- or something. I don't even know, but thankfully it was an easy "fix"!

This morning I did Cathe's ICE Upper Body -- well, just a little more than half of it. It's about a 40 minute workout -- half standing, half floor. I didn't like the stuff I saw on the floor in the preview, so I skipped to the stretch. I liked both the warm up and stretch. She really does a nice job with intermediate stuff, though one beef is that she never tells you about modifications until the end of the set! Cathe! We need it at the get go!! Will try to get out for a walk later.

Yes, it's nice that we're able to walk/ride bikes throughout the winter. Funny comment about the trunk for the store, Laura. We usually just ride up and down our road, so it was a good reason to get us to go a little farther.

Have a great day.....
Old 02-04-20, 05:33 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh, meant to comment on Anita's comment on the dog at the vet hospital -- I had paid particularly close attention to that ad, too, because I was pointed to it in advance. Turns out that dog is a cancer survivor and the CEO of that company paid for the ad himself, I believe (it's his dog) because he was so grateful they saved the dog. Seemed like a cool story all around.

And yes, hilarious comment about the yellow pants, Paula!
Old 02-04-20, 09:28 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B's Chair Cardio/Strength followed by her Chair Abs, then Tamilee's Floor Stretch. I had PT so did my morning PT there. I'll do it again before bed. Been windy and cold here.

Anita, So you're joining me in PT - I'm finding it helpful for my hip - I hope it works for you too. Yeah, airplanes tend to be a big spreader of contagious disease. I'd heard on a couple TV stations that snakes were the probable source of the virus this time - but it may be a long time before the know for sure. Did you ever read "The Hot Zone" - that's a chilling book.

Bee, glad the stove fix was easy. We were lucky when our refridgerator went out just before Thanksgiving. Turned out it was an easy fix too - thank goodness. Good work cleaning out the freezer, sounds like a big job.

Laura, sounds like you had a productive day. Fun that "your" bike was available at the YMCA. I love black bean soup! Vegetarian of course. I've been bummed ever since Panera Bread no longer ever seems to have their Blace Bean soup anymore. DH doesn't like it, or I try to make it at home.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 08:02 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on going to the WRC to take care of bats this morning - lots of them! I was surprised how many ate mealworms right away, so may be repeaters here. I did have some people come in to help also, for which i was grateful - hope there's some help today also. Otherwise, still need a grocery run and walk Gus.

I did have a good day at PT yesterday. She found my injured hip leg was shorter than my good leg by about half an inch and adjusted my leg back to a matching length with my good leg - that stopped some of the pain and I was able to get through the exercises OK. I'm hoping that length difference will hold on for a few days at least. I do now have PT exercises for twice a day - nothing too major.

Laura, wow, you've been busy! I can't believe your cherries are already blooming! Seems like March would be a more normal time. Hope they don't freeze in bud or not get pollinated by bees that are still sleeping.

Bee, glad your stove got fixed with just fuse work! Yeah, I knew UW SVM didn't pay for the Super Bowl ad, which I was grateful for knowing the high fees associated with those ads, but glad it will generate some donations to the school.

Paula, Yeah, I read the Hot Zone a long time ago - can't remember if I finished it completely though - that was a lot of book! Too bad about the Panera soup - I've been enjoying some their soups that are now being sold in grocery stores .

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 02:41 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Yesterday, I got two videos recorded yesterday, and I scheduled an interview tomorrow. It was a productive day on that front. This morning, I went to the YMCA and did various forms of cardio for awhile and then I did a short strength workout. Then, I went and got my hair cut. (Yay!)

Anita - Sometimes, my hips go out of alignment and one of my legs is longer than the other until I go to the chiropractor. It causes a fair amount of pain when that happens. I hope the PT helps with all of it. It's good you have helpers with the bats!

Paula - I used to have Panera's black bean soup quite a bit. It's a shame they don't have it anymore. I haven't been there in quite awhile.

Bee - It's nice you have places to bike. We had bikes when we moved here, but we are surrounded by major roads without bike lanes, so we got rid of them.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-20, 05:19 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello! Wow, Anita, one leg being longer would surely cause pain! One day years ago I left for work with two nearly identical shoes on, but they were not -- they were different colors, and the heels were very slightly different heights. At that time I lived in San Francisco and commuted about 40 miles on the train. Given that, I was stuck with my mismatched shoes for the whole day. By the end of the day I was so sore! My hips mostly, but my back, etc. I didn't realize one could get out of alignment in that way, but I guess it makes sense once I think about it.

Laura, you are on a roll! Go you!

This morning I did Cathe's Cardio Party from her LITE release. That may be the first time I've ever done it -- really enjoyed it and I think I feel myself going into more of a Cathe rotation. I just have to make sure I don't overdo.

Our bike ride to the store was a little scary -- no bike lane and in fact the road falls off into a ditch pretty close at the edge. The only thing going for us is we live in an area very popular with cyclists so the cars are pretty used to getting way over. That was why I wanted us to ride in the middle of the Super Bowl -- figured no one would be on the roads, but we got antsy and went before it started. Our own road is really one, one & a half lanes at best, but it's never got much traffic on it, so that's what we usually do. Problem is that it's only a mile and a half!!
Old 02-05-20, 06:15 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Laura, love the theme this week. It fits me for sure. Looks like you've gotten lots done. I love days like that.

Anita, love the new avatar. One of my legs is shorter than the other but it's never caused any pain that I know of. I didn't realize PTs could do adjustments like that. I hope PT helps you.

Bee, it's been a while since I did ICE upper body because of my shoulder. I think I used to do it often. I love Cardio Party.

Paula, I'm glad PT is helping your hip.

We have rain and too much of it. DH heard that we've gotten 1 1/2 inches so far and will probably get that much more before it's done. I went out today and didn't run into too much standing water, but the road in front of our subdivision can get pretty bad. They worked on the drainage ditches a few years ago because we always had standing water on that road. So far it's holding the rain off the road, but the water is getting pretty deep (beside the road) in places. I hope DH doesn't have trouble when he comes home from work.

Monday I did a Timesaver premix from Step Sync. Tuesday was a spin bike ride and yoga with Adriene. And today was PHA2 and one of the bonus abs from Step Boss. And I did my customized upper body workout on Monday and today and V Core basics yesterday.

I hope everyone has a good evening and staying drying than we are.
Old 02-05-20, 09:27 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Karen Voight's Yoga Stretch followed by my PT routine.

A busy day, just doing errands around town.

Anita, how did your PT straighten your leg so it was the same length as the other? The Hot Zone was one of those books that has lived with me. At the time they thought bats were the source animal for Ebola. Now, I guess, epidemiologists aren't so sure about that. I've been watching the daily updates on the corona virus and I'm not encouraged that we're ready if it hits here hard. We missed the bullet with H1N1 and SARS and that has given us a false sense of invulerability.

Laura, two videos recorded in one day - that's a lot of good work! Getting a haircut is always oddly freeing isn't it. Glad you had a good day.

Bee, odd that you should mention going to work one day with two different shoes on as I did that once too! I don't remember it causing hip or back problems, I do remember one of my co-workes (a guy of course) ragging on me all day.

DeeDee, please send us some of your rain. We had a good December rain wise, but not in January - not good we need more rain before summer. Are you enjoying Yoga with Adriene?
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 10:02 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

My chair yoga class got cancelled today - instructor ill . I'll still be doing my PT exercises and walking Gus. Yesterday's walk was wonderful - hip still was injured and at a level 3 of pain, but the leg swung normally in a walking stride instead of peg leg stride and I didn't have any incidences of a pain level 8 during my walk (usually it was about 20 incidences over two miles walk). I hope the hip is still in its proper position now.

Laura, I used to take my bike in the car to a bike path that I would ride - haven't done that for about two years - hope to try it again this summer to see if the new knee and hip will work in the pedaling range for me. I did donate my light road bike to charity and now just have a heavier bike for comfort. We do have some bike commuters living in my neighborhood, but I just don't trust my biking skills in heavy traffic.

Bee, I don't think I can ever claim having two different shoes on by mistake . Right now I'd be happy being able to bike 1.5 miles, despite having 80 mile days in the past .

Dede, my PT claimed not to be a chiropractor, but she was able to pull on my leg to get it the same length as the other. I was surprised it was an issue at the time as I'm generally not a fan of chiropractors. Sorry about the rain, but glad you're not getting snow instead, which would be about 12 inches with that rainwater! We've had a weird winter with some partial thawing in the rivers and streams, so ice is cracking and blocking water flow resulting in lots of flooding .

Paula, the PT had me on the table and sat right next to my affected hip and my affected leg was placed loose over her shoulder (knee bent at her shoulder). She pulled down towards my other toes at the hip joint and I was instructed to press upwards towards my head with my other leg. Supposedly that evened my hips and the leg placements in the joint. Don't think that's doable by myself at home though . My exposure to bats at the WRC is a lot less than being in a cave amongst the droppings of thousands of bats and breathing their air. We are also very careful keeping bat supplies clean and assigned to individual patients to not pass anything amongst them. I don't wear a surgical mask, but they are available if something is identified as going through the animals - we do wear them in the laundry room handling everyone's dirty poopy laundry. As far as human epidemics, I am glad to be retired and not in crowded offices or schools these days, but do notice colds going through circus .

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 11:24 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello!

ddj, I'm not sure I ever said how much I like your new avatar. Fun! And yes, send some rain to California. That is a lot of rain and sometimes how it comes down here, but we seem to be in quite a dry spell. You know, I thought I remembered a thread I didn't pay much attention to about "being late to the 'cardio party'" about how fun Cardio Party is and is there anything else like it. I tried to find such a thread and could not, but those are common words around here. I really enjoyed it -- if you have any recommendations for something similar, I'd love it.

Anita, I really admire your persistence in getting activity in with pain involved. Most people would probably give up. Glad to hear you enjoyed the walk the other day.

This morning I did Cathe' LITE Stacked Lower Body, but I did it without weights and skipped some things the second time through. I want to experiment and see how sore I get with unweighted work. Oh, I have been adding a subset of my PT exercises in each day, too -- in hopes of alleviating that butt pain that seems more extreme than it should be. I'm so curious to see how I'll feel later today and tomorrow. Oh, will also have my live yoga class in a bit. It's very low key, not strenuous yoga at all.