Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-20, 09:04 AM  
LoveVA

It's food food food food.

I am also in menopause. If I stray from healthy eating, I put on weight, regardless of what exercise I do. If I stick to my healthy eating plan, I lose the weight regardless of what exercise I do. For me, it's that simple.

I no longer use exercise as a tool to lose weight. It's what I do in the kitchen that matters at this point.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 09:42 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post

I am also in menopause. If I stray from healthy eating, I put on weight, regardless of what exercise I do. If I stick to my healthy eating plan, I lose the weight regardless of what exercise I do. For me, it's that simple.

I no longer use exercise as a tool to lose weight. It's what I do in the kitchen that matters at this point.
It's so true,unfortunately. I lost 45 lbs over 6 years ago at 56 years old but it was all about being extremely strict with my eating. It was hard for me to be so strict all the time and some weight did come back. I am trying to be a little more mindful with my eating, mainly just avoiding the junky type of food and making healthier choices in general. This may just be a coincidence along with the eating, but I amped up my walking last week from 45 minutes to closer to an hour a couple of my walking days and I am down a few lbs this week. I know weight fluctuates a few lbs on a daily basis but this is a number I haven't seen in over 3 months. I'm hoping it's a trend in the right direction. I do weights and pilates a few times a week too but in my case I think it's the longer walks that work for me along with the better eating of course.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 10:21 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post

Yep. At my age (44) the scale and my clothes are a reflection of 95% d*** and 5% exercise. I suspect that the percentage towards food will increase even more as the years go on.

That said, I'm recently finding that I'm feeling good--both mentally and physically-- doing a combination of things that worked for me in the past: a combination of AWT (the Firms, Slim Series, etc) and pure cardio - run/walk intervals, Zumba, kickbox, etc. I also am adding in pilates in the form of Andrea Rogers XTend Pilates and I'm loving those, too. They are only 30 minutes but they pack a serious punch!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 10:29 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Sadly - less calorie intake. That said, weight workouts give me more oomph than cardio. I find that if I'm walking regularly my weight is easier to maintain. Not necessarily power walks, even stretching my legs for 15 minutes helps.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 11:31 AM  
Demeris

I'm 5 years post menopausal. My life has shown me that when I was younger Exercise was all I needed. Every year after 35, what I ate became far more important, increasingly so with each year. Now at the age of 62, healthful eating is the only way I can maintain or lose weight, regardless of how much I exercise.. And that's the inverse of my twenties and early thirties when I could eat what I wanted and run and swim off all those calories.

I'm also exercising for other reasons now. I'm exercising to maintain mobility. I'm exercising to maintain flexibility, stamina, strength, balance. 30 and 40 years ago, I exercised to keep my weight off.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 11:35 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Sue, I really miss Cathe type workouts, but yes, they leave me pretty sore. I don't think they are helping with any weight loss efforts I may try -- for the most part I eat more after those types of workouts, but I really like them, so I still do them maybe once or twice a week and I definitely modify or leave stuff out altogether.

I'm curious to know the name of the book that was hinted at, too. What usually works for me, if I can do it, is no snacking -- if I am busy with things or on vacation, I stick to two or three meals a day and always lose weight that way. Hopefully I haven't said too much about "diet" there.
Old 02-03-20, 12:27 PM  
prettyinpink

I’m not menopausal yet but it’s all food for me.

Where exercise affects things is with appetite and energy. Overdo workouts, and I’m starving and also have less energy to cook and plan healthier choices. Do only lighter workouts, and I almost have to think too much about portions because the margin to maintain my weight is thinner. There is a sweet spot, but then I still try to gradually challenge that to improve and maintain strength.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 12:35 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I have struggled with my weight pretty much my whole life. The D word has always been key for me before, during and after menopause, but exercise has allowed me to not be too restrictive with what I eat. I put on weight at menopause, and it stayed with me until I left a highly stressful job. Soon afterwards I was more consistent with my exercise and was able to eliminate a lot of the "stress nibbling" that I was doing at work and that I believe was a big factor in my weight gain. I focused on enjoying what I eat and eat when I'm hungry so I don't snack anywhere near as much as I did. I started doing more weight training and have built a nice muscle base to burn calories. I move around a lot, from a formal "workout" to just walking around the house or around the neighborhood. Movement has been important. I lost 25 pounds in roughly 6 months since I "retired" from that job, and almost 2 years later my weight has pretty much stabilized and I've not gained the weight back.

Sue, as you said, we are all different and what works for some may not work for others. I have a long history of weight issues and pretty much know what works to get me on track when I go off track. I am also lucky since I can continue to do Cathe and other high impact and intense workouts and still do fine with them. I turn 64 tomorrow and have been in menopause for roughly 10 years now. It does take time to adjust to a "new normal," so try not to beat yourself up for it!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 12:51 PM  
momofcha

Thanks again for the replies - keep them coming. I am in the camp of never having to worry about what I ate as I was younger. It’s obvious I need to be more diligent in that area. I’m focused there and will just keep doing the workouts I enjoy. I have been doing a lot of CS because I definitely want to stay mobile as I age first and foremost.

I not only want to look good, I just want to feel good and lately that has not been the case.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 01:28 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

At 64, and with some joint issues, I can't work out hard enough to fight fat anymore.

As I have modified my workouts to be less intense, I have to consume fewer calories. It works.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, gall bladder, menopausal weight gain, menopause, multiple workouts per day, over 50, sleep, sparks, weight loss