Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-16, 10:06 PM  
millie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Valentina View Post
How do y'all modify (or substitute) planks and push-ups? Or work your way up to them?
If you have a ball, you can do push-ups from the ball. You can adjust how much of your body is on the ball which controls the difficulty of the move.
millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 10:09 PM  
millie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I'm looking for a substitution for surrenders - where you get up and down from a kneeling position using one leg at a time with no help from your arms. I just can't do it without hurting my knees. The knee that's bending hurts, and the knee that's on the floor hurts. Is there something else?
BJ has a deep lunge on Delta Fit (First cycle I think) where you have cushion under your knee and go all the way down on the pack and then back up to a standing position. This tracks the same movement but is way easier on the joints.
millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 10:14 PM  
bfit

Thanks for the ideas about surrenders. Don't worry - I don't do it if it hurts. Typically, I try one in the hope that somehow this time it will work out better, and then when it doesn't I stop and do one legged squats instead. I was just wondering if there was a substitute that was a little closer to the surrender, and I've gotten some great ideas here!
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 05:26 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
Thanks for the ideas about surrenders. Don't worry - I don't do it if it hurts. Typically, I try one in the hope that somehow this time it will work out better, and then when it doesn't I stop and do one legged squats instead. I was just wondering if there was a substitute that was a little closer to the surrender, and I've gotten some great ideas here!
I wasn't familiar with the move so I googled it - it looks hard - I tried it and could do it but did not try repeating it 8 times. It seems like mainly an overall conditioning exercise, is that right? This youtube video shows what look to me like good modifications:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smoqAdfIXdk
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 06:08 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I will also do squat falls (Shaunt T does these - you are in a squat, lean forward while in the squat until your hands touch the floor and push back into a squat - it gives you a lot of the same benefits of burpees without the impact).
Thank you for passing along that modification !! I plan to use it.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 06:12 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
BBL "Bum Bum" has a great mod for burpees--it's like a three-step low lunge: squat, one hand on the floor, one leg way back. Switch legs and repeat. It really spikes the HR and it's much easier because you don't have to do it all in one move.
I'm going to try this one too!! This is a great thread
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 06:22 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
BBL "Bum Bum" has a great mod for burpees--it's like a three-step low lunge: squat, one hand on the floor, one leg way back. Switch legs and repeat. It really spikes the HR and it's much easier because you don't have to do it all in one move.
I was going to suggest this same/similar exercise - a Jenga step. Kelly does this at 1:09 in this preview clip from TLC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg-yF8LLrLQ This is my usual substitution.

Another good sub would just be a controlled rear lunge back I would think. I don't do surrenders, either.

It sounds to me like the 'squat fall' is similar to the bear crawl (as Cathe calls it) http://cathe.com/xtrain-supercut-bear-crawls maybe?

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 02:26 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I really hate supermans, but as hard as they are for me, I can tell they are beneficial. I like planks, but are they as effective? What else can I do instead of supermans, or do I really need them?

Please post your most hated move and if you have found a good substitution, what is it? Or maybe someone else would kindly suggest a substitution

I though this might be fun and informative
Planks are extremely effective! I'd do a combination of regular planks, planks on your elbows, and side planks.

In the Venus Index #1 program, they do not do one single sit up or crunches. The majority of the ab work is all plank work. This is when I became a believer.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-16, 03:01 PM  
jenn38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie_B View Post
I hate front lunges, they hurt. So I will do a back lunge or I can't do a front lunge with the moving leg landing on a 4-6" step.
I do the same thing. Front lunges just feel weird. Or I will do static lunges.
Old 06-04-16, 10:37 AM  
DejaDeb

I detest burpees , but on those rare occasions when I make myself do them (mostly just to challenge myself), I start in a wide stance, squat down with both hands on the floor in front of me (looking a bit like a frog), jump my legs back with feet together, jump back to "frog pose", then return to standing.

Other times I just do standing jumps while pumping my arms overhead like I'm at a Rave (or at least, my 55-year old version of a Rave, LOL!)

Tags
modifications, substitution