Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 11-18-08, 12:21 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Favorite cross-training shoe that comes in wide sizes?

I used to swear by New Balance cross-trainers, but since they have all but eliminated the last I prefer (AL-2), I can't find any cross-trainers that fit comfortably. (I didn't like the 608 model.)

Any recommendations for comfy brands that come in wide? Any particular models?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 12:34 PM  
PhyllisG

I can't find any crosstrainers period!
PhyllisG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 04:36 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Oh, my gosh! Just visited my NB links and came up with nothing. Alta, I too wear NB XTers with the AL-2 last in a wide width, so if you ever find a place that carries some or if NB comes out with something new, please let us know. I hope they never discontinue SL-2 lasts in runners.

Here are some runners with SL-2 lasts, which is comparable to the AL-2: http://www.nbwebexpress.com/category...t=SL-2&sortBy=
Old 11-20-08, 02:39 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I'm having a rotten time getting new crosstrainers. I definitely waited too long to do this too. I just returned the new Ryka Core Strength (too narrow for me, and I have a pretty regular width.) So my next attempt is an Asics gel of some sort. I noticed some of them have wide width's, but I don't yet have them to give you an opinion. The zappos opinions are pretty good.

I ordered a closeout one on 6pm (last pair). Here is a newer style:

http://zeta.zappos.com/product/7240724/color/183092
HTH
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 04:20 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I always order ahead in workout shoes, crosstrainers, so that when my current shoes go bad, I can just throw them away and take the next pair off the shelf. The pair "on the shelf" is a pair of cross trainers made by Curves that I bought from Avon. They don't even seem to have them any more. Since I haven't worn them regularly yet, I don't know how they are.

NB is my "go to" brand, so it's bad news that they are cutting back and/or eliminating those choices.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 04:31 PM  
patchworkpenguin

I have worn NB for a few years now but I tried a pair of Avia's from Ross and liked them better than the NB. They seem to have more padding so are more comfy for me. I usually buy anywhere from a 10W to an 11W depending on brand. The Avia's size 10 fit me fine even with two pairs of socks. HTH

I haven't tried them but did watch a show on how the Asics are designed and made and was impressed with the care they were created with.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 05:04 PM  
Waterbabie
VF Supporter

My favorite shoe is Brooks Radius.. very supportive yet cushy. Unfortunately it has been discontinued, so I'm stocking up now. Technically it is a running shoe, but it works well for aerobics.

www.brooksrunning.com has a tool where you answer questions and it will recommend a specific shoe style to you. (eta.. then I do a search via Windows Live cashback and buy it at the cheapest store )
Old 11-20-08, 05:25 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbabie
My favorite shoe is Brooks Radius.. very supportive yet cushy. Unfortunately it has been discontinued, so I'm stocking up now. Technically it is a running shoe, but it works well for aerobics.
I used to like the Ryka Stylus. I found some at a discount and bought FOUR pair. Unfortunately, not ONE of the new ones fit properly and, by the time I found out, it was way past time to return them. I ended up giving them to charity. If I find a new style I like, I might buy one extra pair.

I ordered form Zappos for the first time and am going to try two brands, Asics Gel Express and Ryka Intensity XT3. We'll see how it goes.

Judith, a salesman at the NB store says that NB is getting ready to revamp their lasts. I don't know if that is good news or bad...

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 09:04 PM  
txgirl

After trying multiple shoes at stores and through Zappos, I was pleasantly suprised with the cost-effective Adidas Kamina. I need a wide toe box (but narrow heel), and I like when the soles aren't stiff.

I think eventually, I want to try the Adidas Microbounce+, but for now, I'm happy w/the Kamina and a pair of dance sneakers.
txgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-08, 05:15 PM  
ltlangeli

I understand about the NB. I have found that their new one, the 622 to be great for me.

Tags
shoes, wide