Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 08-26-08, 10:55 AM  
Honeydew

Shoes....

what type or brand of shoes would you recommend for me? Right now for cardio I walk a couple miles outside or on the treadmill and whatever cardio is incorporated in my Firm dvds. I wear skechers and notice that my heels and the ball of my feet hurt almost like a burning sensation but not quite i'm not sure how to explain it. This only happens when I"m exercising,... when I walk normally, for example, walking while shopping, there is no discomfort.

Thanks!
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 12:15 PM  
txgirl

I've been on a shoe quest, so I'll share my findings. My favorite brands are Ryka, Avia, and Asics...specifically, Ryka Intensity (Mesh not leather) and Asics FX. New Balance are ok, but I find them too stiff (They don't bend between forefoot, and heel which I find annoying for step, leaps, and pivot moves.) The Nike Airmax 90 and Avia 690 seemed like they would be good, but they had a bump on the outer midfoot. I think it's for Q factor and stability, but it bothers my foot.

The things that I look for in shoes are:

Wide forefoot: I don't like my toes to be squished when stepping up on step or leaps
Forefoot cushioning: Again, for stepping, and leaps.
Heel cushioning
Lateral support: Supports feet and ankle on side to side moves (side steps, grapevines, etc.)
Sole Flexibility: Ability to bend between forefoot and heel
Arch support: Will use inserts like superfeet to help
Lightness: Mesh inserts make shoes lighter
Traction: Enough not to fall, but still able to pivot and turn

You might also try a heel gel insert or a different shoe insole like Superfeet (w/arch support), or Spenco. Also, if you do a search for lacing techniques, there are ways to make shoes fit better when you tie your laces. Many of us use ankle locks to improve heel fit.

You might want to read up on plantar fasciitis, and do the stretches. It doesn't sound like your issue, as you're just having issues when working out, but w/PF safer than sorry (plus sometimes one thing leads to another w/compensation).

Sorry for the long winded response, but hope it helps.
txgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 01:47 PM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

I would go to a specialty store and have them pick out shoes for your foot type. Most brands have different shoes for the different arches. I have low arches and need motion control. I have had good luck with New Balance but even within those they are different - some more flexible than others. To add more cushioning I use the Dr Scholl Tri Comfort inserts - they are only 3/4 length and fit on top of the insoles in the shoes. You could probably get either walking shoes or cross trainers.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 04:17 PM  
txgirl

I agree with Marie about specialty stores being great for finding great shoes for your body. They may even know more about your foot pain.

At the same time, many specialty stores specialize in running and walking--forward movement. It is common for them to know nothing about the demands of aerobics, and to carry very few cross-trainers. If you go that route, try some lateral movements (sidesteps, grapevines, stepping up & down like you would on a vertical bench), as running/walking shoes don't typically have any lateral support.

This is actually a pet peeve of mine. I don't understand why expertise in shoe fit, and support can only be found for running. There are many sports w/multi-directional movement (volleyball, tennis, basketball). Where are our shoe experts?
txgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 12:41 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

I actually just talked to a shoe expert last night. My friend's husband owns an outdoor store and carries lots of shoes for hiking and other sports. He's currently training for a marathon (he's almost 50 -- what a great feat!) so I called and asked him what to look for in running shoes since I want to run a 5K in a few months (and don't want to get shin splints when I start running again -- I avoided them when I used to run in college by running on dirt or grass, but most of the running surfaces near me have pavement).

He asked me questions about how my shoes wear down -- if my foot is balanced or not (and I realized my shoes wear out on the outer heel first). He asked about how my big toe presses in the shoes and I realized I always have calluses on the outer big toe, which he said was caused by something or other. He asked if my foot lengthens when I go from sitting to standing and said that means I need more arch support.

Anyway, it was interesting to see that he had many questions to access the needs of my foot for support. He said I'd need a shoe with a posted midsole so my foot would stay evenly placed (even with my own habits) and recommended the Salomon XA (which is more of an outdoor shoe than indoor). But it was interesting to see that so much goes into this. I'm going to stop by his store later this week. I imagine if I'd gone to the running store, they'd know to look for things like this too (at least I hope so!)

So I guess my short reply is what others have said -- find someone who knows athletic shoes, knows what to look for in each pair of feet, and can help you make that match.

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 06:23 PM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

Look at this webpage I just found:

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/shoe...-0-0-0,00.html

You fill out your shoe needs and it helps you find the best shoes. There are plenty of reviews too.

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shoes