Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-11, 07:49 AM  
kariev34

yoga Tuneup

I've been debating getting these. I see from the clips on Marys website, they don't flow like the yoga I'm used to. Are these more for rehab or is there a toning componant to them? I filled out the questionnaire on her website and it wanted me to start at level 2. For the goals I chose flexibility, strength, and weight loss. Do these do any of those things? Have you had results from these?
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 08:39 AM  
Sophie

more rehab, but that implies a balance of strength and stretch. It's basically an Iyengar approach to yoga, with physio type exercises thrown in. They are not the usual flowing vinyasa type of yoga most yoga DVD's tend to be. Lots of stopping and starting and alignment instruction. They are good as follow along, but also can be used as tutorials to improve your home practice. They're good, but not everyone likes them.

eta: flexibility and strength- for sure. Weight loss - not on their own. Their value lies in their rehab/therapeutic aspect, not calorie burn, so much.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 10:53 AM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I agree with what Sophie wrote.
I really enjoy them, but they don't flow or feel like most yoga workouts. I find that when I do them on a regular basis my other yoga dvds are easier.

She gives good form tips, and on days where I don't want to do anything, I can get myself to do these, and feel relaxed and more open.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 06:19 PM  
KathAL79

I agree with Sophie as well.

Until some health issues cropped up, these actually helped me a lot in staying consistent with my yoga practice, which in turn went a long way to increasing strength and flexibility. I will fully disclose that I like Jill Miller and her approach to yoga a lot, so it's easy for me to spend time with her at least 3x/week. I haven't seen any weight loss from these; for me that pretty much all comes from diet and maintaining an active lifestyle. And I do too much else (I still do cardio, weights, Pilates, foam rolling, and every once in a while qi gong) to attribute anything specific to these. I will say that other people have found that their standing poses in other yoga practices are much more alive, and I've found that, too.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-11, 08:08 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavtx View Post
I agree with what Sophie wrote.
I really enjoy them, but they don't flow or feel like most yoga workouts. I find that when I do them on a regular basis my other yoga dvds are easier.

She gives good form tips, and on days where I don't want to do anything, I can get myself to do these, and feel relaxed and more open.
I don't much care for flow yoga so Jill's stuff is a very good fit for me. I like almost everything she's done. In particular I appreciate the strength benefits.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jill miller, yoga tune up, yoga tune up at home, yoga tuneup