Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-20, 04:39 PM  
sherry7899

My issue with streaming is I hate not owning what I'm paying for, and also if I pay for a subscription I feel like I HAVE to do it. I am a variety junkie with chronic injuries, so I hate to pay for something I either am not physically up to doing, or just don't feel like doing!

To solve this, I do short term subscriptions about a month at a time. I did sign up for Team Body Project for three months because they had a sale for 25% off if you had paid for a month previously. I doubt I'd sign up for a year of anything. I am enjoying Team Body Project and two yoga subscriptions right now.

I have way too many dvds and there is too much on you tube for free for me to spend a lot on streaming.

I wish more instructors offered downloads. I would buy them since you own them forever.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 04:55 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I guess I view streaming the same way I'd look at a gym membership or classes. If I use them, it doesn't bother me to pay for a subscription that is in my budget. Fitness has always been a huge interest/hobby for me.

I will have to say that I enjoy how quickly we get new workouts as opposed to 10 years ago. Remember when we used to wait months or longer for a single new dvd workout? Now we have these platforms that offer new workouts monthly or even weekly.

And, we have so much available on YouTube. Who would have thought?

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 04:59 PM  
sillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
To solve this, I do short term subscriptions about a month at a time.
Sherry, I noticed that streaming sites that use the Vimeo platform ("vhx.tv" extension in most the URLs, but some aren't as obvious, OTT* is in the vendor name used to charge your CC), you are able to sign up for the monthly subscription then pause up to three months at a time while keeping the same monthly fee even if the rate goes up. This feature is available on the Brooke Burke Body, Walking Online Workouts, and BBFIT sites. I pause my BBB subscription throughout the year.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 05:09 PM  
sillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
...also if I pay for a subscription I feel like I HAVE to do it.
This is the best part of streaming! I workout out more because I know I won't have years to come back to the workouts (thus my many virgin DVDs).
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 05:10 PM  
sherry7899

Sillygirl, I have noticed that. There are several instructors I use on that platform. Thank you!

Old 12-12-20, 05:17 PM  
Izzy

If I had live Essentrics fitness classes available in my area I don’t mind paying for a live class and supporting an instructor. I would understand they have to rent space, plan, pay insurance etc. But streaming can be done anywhere and where as I understand the commitment I feel instructors are getting a really good deal from us. I did go to a local yoga studio and did feel her classes were worthy of what she charged. Streaming is similar because you don’t know what you are getting for your price until you have paid for it.

I guess what I am saying is I buy a dvd or download I like it and I do it. But for me streaming is more of a gamble and you don’t own it in the end.

ETV is a very good product. But I rather they produce more DVDs or provide downloads. It makes me feel more in charge of what I pay for.
Old 12-13-20, 11:15 AM  
gigi

I don't use my DVD's anymore but I will not sell them yet.

Right now I use Beachbody the most. I am finding it easier to stick to a regular exercise routine with a scheduled program to follow. Even if I get a day or two behind. $100 for a year comes out o $8 and some change a month. I have to be careful not to let all the supplement talk get to me as when you hear it over and over during and after a workout, it is tempting to think you need BB supplements. I use supplements from other companies that are just as good and more affordable.

I cancelled Cathe for now because I'm not using her workouts enough but I will most likely subscribe again at some point this year.

I subscribe on and off to Essentrics/Classical Stretch but I do not use those workouts enough.

I've subscribed to Les Mills but those workouts got old so I cancelled it.

The thing I do enjoy about subscriptions is I can cancel the monthly memberships. I know I will use BB enough to make it worth the yearly membership. For example, after I finish The Work, I will take a week to do easier workouts...a recovery week then do it again to see how I can get better or I'll go back to MBF and MBF Advanced then come back to The Work.
Old 12-13-20, 01:32 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have two annual subscriptions. One is a recent Black Friday deal I couldn’t resist, the other has a few months left & I don’t think I’ll renew. I also subscribe to a few others for a month or two at a time here & there for variety. I use to go to live classes fairly often before Covid so I see streaming as a substitute for that. I use YouTube occasionally but the mid-workout ad interruptions are becoming more frequent in their push for paid subscriptions. I’m not interested in that.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-20, 12:17 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I'm on a very tight budget so have only paid for streaming occasionally in the past: Zuzka for a couple of months a few years ago and a month of Adriene's channel to gain access to a particular program. I still have about 40 DVDs and several VHS but have been gradually doing more on YouTube, like Pahla.

However, this year I've been struggling with motivation and finding something I will stick with so I decided to purchase The Body Project's quarterly sub because they have a nice variety of workouts that fit my needs right now, most of their programs are short with no repeats (unless you want to), and it was reasonable for my budget ($45 for 3 months). I also think the fact that I paid real money for it helps in getting me to actually do the workouts. At the end of 3 months I can evaluate whether to renew. So far I'm very pleased with it and just finished the 2-week Real Start Plus program yesterday.

ETA: from what friends with YouTube channels have told me, the creators have the ability to decide when the ads appear--at the beginning, end or midroll. I'm noticing a whole lot more midroll ads on the non-fitness channels I watch, so maybe YT changed their options recently or possibly your channel has to reach a certain level before you're given the option of when ads run.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham

Last edited by Rivercat; 12-14-20 at 12:20 PM. Reason: another thought
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-20, 12:20 PM  
sherry7899

Kate, Team Body Project said they will release a new program for the new year. Daniel did a long talk yesterday. I have to see if it is still on their Facebook page. Maybe you will get a discount offer after your subscription ends. I received one for 25% off after I did one month.

Tags
budget, subscriptions