Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-14, 09:09 PM  
ella

Looking for workouts similar to Bar Method but shorter

Hi Ladies,
I had been doing Bar Method Super Sculpting 2-3 times per week in conjunction with walking on the treadmill and was getting great results. My schedule has changed and I am having a really hard time fitting in the hour long Bar Method DVD. I have Physique 57 DVD's including the express one but every time I've done a rotation of those my thighs bulk up so much that I can't wear my pants/jeans comfortably. I don't really know what the difference is between Bar Method and Physique 57 but I basically need a shorter version of Bar Method.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions/opinions!

Thanks,
Ella
ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 10:48 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Bar Method Beginner is just under 40 minutes, I believe. IMO the only thing that makes it "beginner" is its shorter length; most of the signature moves are there and the intensity is good. It's taught by Joey Decker, though, and not Burr. But I still it!

Other than that, there are a number of 30-40 min Barre3 workouts that are very good. And I'm still a fan of Karen Voight's Ballet BodySculpt which is also 40 mins.

However, all of these are less intense than the BM Super Sculpting DVDs. Being shorter, they have to be.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 06:51 AM  
caitlinpyle

why do people's thighs bulk up?

Barre, Indoor Walking, and Rebounding Lover

Favorites: Suzanne Bowen, Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett
caitlinpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 06:53 AM  
LaCatrina

If you like streaming subscriptions there's Suzanne Bowen. She has a ton of workouts and it's pretty affordable.

The Bar Method just released their online subscription, and they do offer shorter workouts too.
Old 04-17-14, 07:38 AM  
alisoncooks

What about the Pure Barre dvds? They're about 35 min, I believe?

TBM dvds are nicely chaptered. Sometimes I take out the ab section (or something) in Change Your Body and end up with a nice 40 min. workout...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 12:16 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlinpyle View Post
why do people's thighs bulk up?
Here's a blog post by Burr Leonard on bulking. Many find it's temporary--if you continue, your thighs will eventually slim down, but some here on VF found that wasn't the case for them. Personally, I've only had slimming/strengthening (among other positives!) results from barre.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 12:44 PM  
caitlinpyle

that makes a lot of sense. I am eating well and have been doing barre style for about two months (started with all Ellen Barrett workouts, then moved to barre on The Gymbox and BarreAmped) and have only seen slimming effects, as well. I'm thrilled!! I am also not new to exercise as well so that might be why. a lot of people new to exercise gain weight and swell up initially and maybe I skipped that because I'm seasoned LOL :-) hope so!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Here's a blog post by Burr Leonard on bulking. Many find it's temporary--if you continue, your thighs will eventually slim down, but some here on VF found that wasn't the case for them. Personally, I've only had slimming/strengthening (among other positives!) results from barre.

Old 04-17-14, 12:52 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I think some of it is genetic, too. I find while I'm not the tall/skinny type, I am really not prone to what I'd call 'bulking.' I do gain muscle, but I don't feel like it's 'bulky.' I do like the look of some muscle on women, so it's possible someone else's 'bulk' is my beauty!

I do think some people experience this and it freaks them out and maybe they jump ship a little too soon. But a few VFers have reported sticking with it for a few months and still feeling 'bulkier' than they'd like. there are so many wonderful benefits of barre, even apart from the aesthetic results, that I find it's worth giving it a few months. I know it's done wonders for my posture, flexibility and core strength.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 01:03 PM  
caitlinpyle

well said!!! I'm super excited to keep reaping the benefits. especially the core strength!!!

Old 04-17-14, 10:42 PM  
missaulnier

The Quick Callanetics or AM/PM Callanetics are great for a short effective barre type work out. You have to embrace Callan's kooky Southern charm and the dated DVDs, but Callanetics is excellent for toning and tightening with zero bulk.
missaulnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bar method, barre amped, callanetics, joey decker