Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-14, 09:11 AM  
LoveVA

Tell me about Tracie Long

So I did Tracie Long's Leaning Out today, which was one of my Collage (not really) Going Out of Business purchases. I really enjoyed it, which means that I now have to buy more Tracie Long workouts.

And what great timing, Mary is having a sale starting this week.

So what are the "must-have" workouts from Tracie Long?

Would I like Better Burn, Better Buns (although not available through Mary)? A couple of old threads also mention Reboot 1 & 2. Are those still favorites here?

Some info on me: I like high intermediate & advanced workouts. I am 5' 3" and tend to bulk/get a boxy look with Cathe-type workouts. A BBL rotation worked wonders for me recently. I don't have a stability ball or high step and don't want to buy them. I don't like dance-y cardio.

Thanks!
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 09:49 AM  
Mandy

My favorite Tracie Long workouts are
Leaning out
Defined Lines- which is harder than Leaning out in my opinion and uses a small med ball(a weight can be subbed but she does do some weaving the ball under the knee in a squat position) and she uses a towel for some sliding work(a paper plate will work for carpet). I remember reading this is Tracie Long's favorite workout and always would go out of print fast on her web site.

Reboot- this is my favorite Tracie Long. She does interval training in between weight work. The music is excellent!!

Reboot 2 uses a med ball and has more cardio emphasis. This is much more advanced than Reboot 1. It has more high impact...like tuck jumps

Staying Power is another good one. the music is turned down a bit. The music is great if you turn it up. It has some kickboxing in it and slow punches with weights. She uses a med ball in this workout and has so much variety. I liked tricep work like kickbacks/french press. It has high impact in it too like high knees. Pushups, planks, tricep pushups. The format ends with floorwork like table with weight and abs.

I also like her Defining shape which is more of a weight training bodypump type workout...you know the endless squats kind of thing...
Old 04-16-14, 09:52 AM  
Mandy

The only time Tracie uses a step is for her Step Forward and Power up.

She does use a small weighted med ball a lot in her most of all her workouts.
Old 04-16-14, 10:11 AM  
firmaniac

...they're all good And I agree w/ Mandy's pics, too. Reboot 2 turned out to be a fave, Kickback & Power up I Loooove, and Defining Shape & Defined Lines are A+. My two favorites of all-time ever for her use a stability ball and a step, so I won't mention them since your criteria excludes having those items haha I have to confess that I winnowed down my collection of her titles, and have only 14 now. They are the ones I do consistently, and she always makes me feel Happy & High & Powerful when I'm done. Happy shopping

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 11:26 AM  
LoveVA

I like the clips of both Reboots and Defined Lines. Funny, I thought that there was no possible way I would have an order for Mary's sale after the Collage sale.

Any details about Better Burn, Better Buns?

I'm alittle undecided about that one. Not sure if I need it.....

Not sure if I "need" any of these......
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 11:41 AM  
CatInTheHat

My favorite Tracie workout is actually The Firm's Maximum Body Shaping.
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 11:47 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInTheHat View Post
My favorite Tracie workout is actually The Firm's Maximum Body Shaping.
This. I always come back to this one.
Old 04-16-14, 11:51 AM  
CatInTheHat

Ha ha. It's the perfect workout to me. It has everything in 45 minutes! You do need a high step for the leg presses, but just use a stepstool or something like that.
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 12:21 PM  
Breezy Trousers

I like Better Burn, Better Buns and the other TLTs and am glad I own them. Having said that, I don't find them as challenging as the Longevity workouts, even though the TLT's are typically rated as being intermediate-advanced and the Longevities are usually rated as intermediate. I found that if I lifted as heavy as I could safely go on the Longevities and used 6, 8 and 10-lb. Valeo balls, I got very high intermediate to low-advanced level workouts. (Right now I'm doing a HOCO Volumes/Tonique mish mash, and some of my ramped-up Tracie workouts equaled those in intensity, IME.)

The only Longevity I didn't like was Defined Lines because, for me, I couldn't lift very heavy with good form and thus couldn't get my heartrate as high as I could with the other Longevities. However, I've since realized that just because something is low intensity doesn't make it any less effective, so now I want to reacquire it. It was fun. I'm also afraid that if I wait too long I won't be able to find it a year or two from now. I don't think Tracie is selling these from her site any longer.

My favorite Longevities are Leaning Out, Defining Shape & Back Up. Staying Power is fun, too, but just didn't grab me as much as those three workouts did. I very highly recommend both Reboots, too .... I also liked to mix and match chapters from the various workouts for a self-styled Tracie Long "Franken" workout.

I haven't tried Tracie's latest (advanced) workout, but it seemed to me that the Reboots were Tracie's hardest workouts when I did a 2012 rotation. However, again, it's important to go as heavy as you can safely go. If I used the weights Tracie did, I think I would have walked away feeling disappointed with the Longevity-Reboot series.

That's the beauty of it, though. Tracie Long's workouts meet everyone where they are at. I appreciate having a wide range of Tracie Longs in my collection because I know that if my endurance level decreases due to age or illness, I can still do her workouts. Also, when I did my rotation, I never once dreaded doing a Tracie Long workout each morning the way I occasionally do with my Cathe or Tonique workouts. The functional fitness focus doesn't hurt, either. The fact that they are well-chaptered makes them easy to mix and match.

Sort of off topic -- these clips might interest you. They've been posted here before. It seems this woman does Tracie Long's Longevity workouts, along with Pink Firms and a couple Jari Loves. She watches her diet re cholesterol, so it's clear that this is all working well for her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm_pd6YePwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS-U2Vs-51M
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 12:28 PM  
firmaniac

... P.S. I forgot to include that I broke down and bought gliding discs a few years back, and Oh! did it make a good difference in my performance with Tracie's work. When the TLT's first came out, I did the paper plate route & was a bit irritated during those sections I got Jane Fonda discs that work for carpet, but would've went the Harbor Freight 'furniture mover/pad' route if the Jane's hadn't been on clearance. And another thumbs up for the chaptering in her programs - I love to mix & match!

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defined lines, longevity, reboot, staying power, step forward, tracie long