Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-14, 08:55 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Skipping workouts

I did not work out today, and I should have. I had a rare day with very little homework to do and no place to run the kids other than school, so I felt like it was a bit of a day off.

So I had MORE time than usual, but I didn't work out! I am far more likely to work out consistently on busy days, where I have to work to fit it in somewhere. If I know the day is crazy I will be DETERMINED to get my workout in. If I'm having the odd lazy day, when I could work out for as long as I want, I can't seem to motivate myself.

Isn't that weird? Anybody else like that? What kinds of days are the days you are most likely to skip your workout?
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 09:34 PM  
twinkletoes

Saturday or Sunday...especially when I have nothing planned and am just sitting around. I have to force myself to workout. But during the week, I'll get up at 4:45 and workout with no problem, go to work, make dinner, etc.
Old 04-16-14, 09:42 PM  
caitlinpyle

yes, especially if I feel like I have alllllll day to work out!!! I work from home so if I have a lot of work to do I may try to get it all done and *then* work out! but when I'm done with my work sometimes I just want to watch tv or chill or cook!! I've learned slowly to JUMP at the chance to do a workout whenever the mood strikes on a day like that!!

Barre, Indoor Walking, and Rebounding Lover

Favorites: Suzanne Bowen, Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett
caitlinpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 11:39 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

It seems like I take a day off during the week and make up for it on Saturday or Sunday. I seem to do longer workouts on the weekend when dh is around.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 12:38 AM  
PrairieGem

Right there with you!!

I'm another one who works from home, with technically "all day" to set my own schedule. Yet for some reason, I get completely giddy on a weekend if DH is going to be gone, and I get SO MUCH DONE! I have never (in 18 years LOL) figured out why this is so. How is a Saturday with DH gone any different than every other day of my normal week? And yet...

I missed my workout today, for entirely different reasons: horrible allergies that left me unable to breathe and absolutely sapped of energy. It even seemed like a bad idea to go for a walk (really, really windy). Grrrr.
Old 04-17-14, 07:38 AM  
Indy

That is so me. If I have all evening - nothing to do - I'll mess around and it'll get to be 10 o'clock and I'll think - its too late to work out and so I don't. I should just come home and do my workout but I can't seem to do that.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 09:46 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I've been trying to pinpoint the days when I'm most likely to miss a workout. For me it's on those days where I have nothing else to do, and I keep thinking I can fit my workout in any time. So I start catching up on newspapers, mess around online forever, take a nap, have a snack....and all of a sudden DH is on the way home from work and my time has evaporated.

Last edited by athompson10; 04-17-14 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typo
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 09:56 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I have not been sleeping well recently and have discovered that the most likely day for me to skip a workout is when I wake up late due to being up in the night and need to fly through my morning routine to get to work.

On days when I have not much to do, I usually exercise much later than work days/days I have something scheduled earlier in the day, but I still get in my exercise. The first thing I do when I wake up is put on my exercise clothes, so it's just a matter of getting downstairs to my exercise area at some point.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 12:59 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Back when I was in high school, my mother noticed I was far more productive and disciplined when I had an extracurricular activity. Field hockey practice or school play rehearsals left me with less time to fritter away and I actually got MORE done than I did when I just came home after school. It's kind of an interesting phenomenon.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 02:40 PM  
laurajhawk

Me too, I am most likely to skip workouts on Saturday and Sunday, and on holidays (even if I'm not doing anything for the holiday). Put me on a schedule and I do the scheduled things - but with no schedule, I'm likely to do nothing. Like Allison, I figure I have tons of time, then suddenly I don't.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
time