Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-14, 01:11 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I don't think anyone is 'calling anyone out' here. When people respond to a thread, often their suggestions are general and not necessarily specifically directed at the OP.

Lora, it would be helpful if you clarified what you mean by 'results.' Then maybe we can address your question more specifically.

I think Leah Sarago is the only barre person who suggests putting time between working specific muscle groups. Lotte Berk and all the other barre people I've read suggest doing barre nearly every day. I don't really know what to think on that... I've been doing it daily and haven't noticed adverse effects. I just take a day off when I start feeling creaky, even then I stretch and do something lightly active, but I'd love to know scientifically why doing barre strength work on consecutive days is ok, while lifting heavy on consecutive days apparently is not?
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 01:16 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I'd love to know scientifically why doing barre strength work on consecutive days is ok, while lifting heavy on consecutive days apparently is not?
I would too. I've been wondering that a lot lately.... When you find out, please let me know

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 01:30 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
I would too. I've been wondering that a lot lately.... When you find out, please let me know
I did some not-so-exhaustive internet research () just now, and it basically comes down to overtraining. Of course, that can apply to heavy as well as light weights, and even to aerobic workouts. Generally, your body produces various hormones after a tough workout (tough for YOU) and needs enough time to rest and repair itself. If you're continuously challenging yourself, you never get the rest and eventually get to a point where you can't work out at all.

In a nutshell, it's like hurting yourself a little bit with any workout, and then letting yourself heal.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 01:47 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
I did some not-so-exhaustive internet research () just now, and it basically comes down to overtraining. Of course, that can apply to heavy as well as light weights, and even to aerobic workouts. Generally, your body produces various hormones after a tough workout (tough for YOU) and needs enough time to rest and repair itself. If you're continuously challenging yourself, you never get the rest and eventually get to a point where you can't work out at all.

In a nutshell, it's like hurting yourself a little bit with any workout, and then letting yourself heal.
But why, then, would it be ok to do barre on consecutive days? THat's what I don't understand.

I've even heard barre people say if you're really sore you should do another barre workout the following day. It keeps your muscles warm and loose.
Old 01-23-14, 01:50 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I would think because it's not enough to cause overtraining. I don't know that I'd agree though. I felt overtrained at one point when I did Slim Series workouts. I used relatively light weights (similar to P57) but was EXHAUSTED.

I think it's a case of YMMV--what overtrains one person might be another's warm up! With heavy weights though, I think it's also a case of letting the microtears start to heal.

C'mon, I'm waiting for you to do some research too, Stephanie!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 01-23-14, 01:52 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I just realized I have a giant hardcover Exercise Physiology textbook sitting here. Will try to take a look sometime today...

Old 01-23-14, 01:56 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
C'mon, I'm waiting for you to do some research too, Stephanie!
Believe me, I've tried! All the barre people say, 'it's safe to do everyday! Do it everyday!' But I can't figure out WHY. The only reason I ever heard was, 'dancers do it everyday.' Ummm.... ok. But WHY?? Do I sound like a four-year-old yet?!
Old 01-23-14, 02:05 PM  
hotncmom

Yes, dancers do it every day but they spend years building up to that. 8 year old DD takes dance twice a week. By the time she's a teenager it will be several times a week, if she's any good and wants to get serious about it. By high school she would practice daily and if she were to go to a college of the arts with a dance major, I would expect she would be practicing several hours a day.

(This is all hypothetical, I have no dreams of DD being a pro dancer or anything like that).

My point is, I think for people just starting out with barre, every other day is good. So Sun/Tue/Thur/Sat/Mon/Wed/Fri would be 4 times in one week, 3 times in the next week. If you've been doing it for months, you might move up to 5x a week. I think any more than that and you risk repetitive stress injury. You also see injuries in people who try to do yoga every day at first, piriformis syndrome, shoulder injuries, etc.

And the truth is that many fitness instructors, dancers, yoga teachers themselves nurse injuries frequently. The body can only take so much. I think rest days are prudent. When I get back to my Suzanne Bowen rotation, I'm going to alternate with Kundalini yoga and walking.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 02:10 PM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
I agree with this. A bunch of results were posted and then you said you guess there's no results unless you're missing them? We were all confused with that comment as there were quite a few replies with results? Maybe not the results you were looking for, but results nonetheless.

What exactly are you looking for in terms of results with barre so no one makes this mistake again?
This. Totally confused about what you're looking for as well.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 02:29 PM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie_B View Post
Lora I think because you were unclear on what you mean by results. Weight loss? Flexibility? Muscle definition? Caloric burn? I saw TONS of results posted in this thread and I think it's just a misunderstanding of a vague term "results."
And this.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre results, diet, results