Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-14, 03:26 PM  
mle777

I went ahead and tagged "barre results" in the tag section. If you click on it, other threads with barre results will pop up

The best results that I ever got from working out happened when I started barre workouts (this was years ago, probably 9 years ago). I lost several sizes (but probably only lost a couple of pounds). I alternated through the original Bar Method Workouts (Designer Sculpt & Fat Free) and the original Lotte Berk workouts each morning (probably 4 days a week) and walked during lunch (again probably 4 days a week). That's all I did. I should go back to that...

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 03:36 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Honestly, though, I'm not sure how much other people lose is really that significant. Everyone is starting out at a different place and maybe has different goals.

One of these days I'll weigh and measure myself. I'd be curious to see any changes now that I've been bellying up the barre for a while. There are soooo many improvements to my body and my workouts that I don't need empirical evidence to see! Barre is still very challenging but I'm so much better at it now. I get so much out of every workout because I know more how to do it, how to get into position correctly, etc.
Agreed! I was a barre aficionado for a few years and experienced wonderful results. I never had weight to lose so that was not significant for me but I gained strength, endurance and flexibility as well as experiencing cosmetic results (more tone all over, lifted butt, flatter abs, etc.).

Eventually I burned out on barre and became a TA fan. The transition was a little difficult (I experienced the "mush period" often discussed) but then I had awesome results from this technique as well. Mostly, TA gave me what looks and feels like a youthful body. I also loved that I got those results without DOMS, whereas barre often gave me DOMS. Last fall I began to have that "burned out" feeling and I am now looking for my "next big thing"...

If you are interested in seeing how barre works for you, I would suggest committing to it for a while (at least a couple of months) and doing it consistently. For me, 4 challenging barre workouts a week were ideal.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 06:51 PM  
woodie

Question - do you combine cardio with barre and still see these fantastic results? I'm trying to commit to a lifestyle change and for that I need something that can grow with me - I don't think a quick rotation is my thing anymore.

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 08:55 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie View Post
Question - do you combine cardio with barre and still see these fantastic results? I'm trying to commit to a lifestyle change and for that I need something that can grow with me - I don't think a quick rotation is my thing anymore.
When I previously did a lot of barre I also did cardio most days a week (I aimed for 5 or 6 days but was happy with 3 days a week). Some people find they get an aerobic effect from some barre workouts. In my case, the average heart rate doing Physique 57 is similar to a brisk walk. There are moments where it is higher--but not enough for me to feel it meets my cardio "needs". I know Tracy Anderson also recommends daily cardio with her method. Some people have great results without intentional cardio workouts so I am not sure if there is only one answer. I personally try to include a mix of cardio, strength, physical balance, flexibility and relaxation within my workout week. This week I started using barre again as my primary strength work. I have been doing cardio when I feel like it, I am not planning to be as strict with myself about cardio this time. My goal is at least 3 cardio sessions a week, more if I feel like it. I do have some aerobic hobbies so I don't worry about it too much.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 09:16 PM  
sunday

I did barre most of 2010, while in the midst of losing my last 50 pounds. I had good results and did no cardio at all; however, I attribute my results, also, to sticking to WW. I think one can reshape their body with nearly anything, but to see that shape the fat has to come off, as well.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 09:46 PM  
txfitmom

I have never stuck with barre workouts long enough to notice whether I was truly getting results, but I did do a TA rotation back in 2011 for 2 or 3 months. I started out with TA's book and then after about a month I moved onto meta for another month or two. I kind of burned out on it at the time (and I was distracted by other workouts and systems) or I would have stuck with it. I had tremendous results with TA, lost many inches off my hips and waist, lost around 10 to 15 pounds total (I did manage to lose more weight after I quit doing TA workouts, not sure what I was doing, maybe Jari Love or Slim Series or something). I dropped at least a couple of dress sizes.

I don't know that it matters whether you do barre, TA, pilates, etc, but I think what really helps me lose inches in the right places (mainly my hips, butt, and thighs) is doing a lot of floorwork. I am the classic pear shape and as long as I am doing that floorwork along with some kind of cardio (walking, dance, elliptical, etc) I slim down in my lower body a lot quicker. I can still lose weight and get in shape doing other things, but I don't see the drastic changes.

This year, I have come full circle and am doing TA workouts again, but just started so don't know what the results are yet. I will definitely update after about a month or so and post about any inches or weight lost. I am starting this time with her Beginner and Precision Toning workouts and then will probably go to either Perfect Design or meta again.

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 09:57 PM  
woodie

Thanks!

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 10:47 PM  
altinker

My favorite workouts are barre, but I have been trying to lose weight off and on for the last year. My toughest barre dvds only burn about 350 to 400 calories. I feel really good doing barre, and my results on my arms, legs, and bum were exceptional. I feel good doing it.

But, in trying to lose weight, I had to add cardio. Once I get to my target weight, I could just do barre -- and sometimes Ultimate Yogi. I really love Ultimate Yogi and Barre the most. Then dance workouts second.

I have so many dvds that I had to sort through. The only ones I kept in the accessible area were barre dvds, ultimate yogi, and some dance dvds. And, I also kept my beach body dvds out to incorporate in once in awhile -- but I can't say I enjoy beachbody as much as I enjoy barre and ultimate yogi.
altinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 11:56 PM  
rad

Quote:
Originally Posted by altinker View Post
My favorite workouts are barre, but I have been trying to lose weight off and on for the last year...But, in trying to lose weight, I had to add cardio.
This is exactly my dilemma with barre. Despite all the lengthening I'm not losing weight. B/C the issue is d*** not exercise, and the two are almost mutually exclusive.
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 06:17 AM  
eannem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
This is exactly my dilemma with barre. Despite all the lengthening I'm not losing weight. B/C the issue is d*** not exercise, and the two are almost mutually exclusive.
i totally agree! i do wish there was a forum to discuss diet and barre/ta, etc.
eannem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre results, diet, results