Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-09-11, 05:44 AM  
rosepetals

I got a giant Mirror off of Craigslist for $40.00 and they delivered it. It's older looking with a few flaws in the sliver and a nice old looking gold frame. I swore I would never have a mirror in the exercise room until I read t.a.'s book. Then after I got the mirror I saw my form and it helped me to see what I needed to do to improve. It's a valuable training tool. It leans against the wall taking up a large portion of the wall. Its kind of like having a Wise Woman observing you, giving you tips, showing you where you need to improve. She never lies or tries to hide the truth from you. It was really helpful at analyzing my body shape. With the other mirrors in the house I can't see as much of my lower body.

Its well worth investing in a mirror. I saw some at bed, bath and beyond that were a pretty good deal if you can't find a used one.

By seeing my form, I am more aware and I now go lower with the piles and squat-like moves. Before I though I was going low, but I really wasn't. So it improved my workout.

You can make the workouts more intense by improving your form, going deeper with the plies, or holding your leg higher with the lifts. . . There is so many ways to improve with barre.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 07:40 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post
I started lessons at an indoor rock gym immediately, only to find all my ballet training (and, fuzzie, my turnout ) made for an excellent base in climbing and never looked back.

Quote:
One of my reasons for loving barre (and rockclimbing training too!) is the precision becomes almost zen-like. I concentrate fully on form and become one with my body, turning off my over-active mind off. It's meditative, yet engaging my body fully...
ITA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosepetals View Post
I got a giant Mirror off of Craigslist for $40.00 and they delivered it. It's older looking with a few flaws in the sliver and a nice old looking gold frame. I swore I would never have a mirror in the exercise room until I read t.a.'s book. Then after I got the mirror I saw my form and it helped me to see what I needed to do to improve. It's a valuable training tool.
My mirror is my top workout equipment.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 03:44 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
Yes, I totally understand that I can't change my genetic shape but I can make what I do have the best it can be.
Yup! The only other thing I was thinking is that you mentioned up-thread that you think your perfectionism gets in the way. My attitude toward barre has been to always try my best to get into position (not always easy) and activate the right muscles...and as soon as I lose form I stop (that last part was hard to learn/accept.) So, that way maybe your perfectionism can work for you. As far as the type-A syndrome, there are exercises on Callanetics that I still cannot complete the full 100 reps...so I haven't climbed that mountain all the way yet! Perhaps something like Callanetics with less exercises, but more reps each would satisfy that type-A need?
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 04:28 PM  
marissajd

Quote:
One of my reasons for loving barre (and rockclimbing training too!) is the precision becomes almost zen-like. I concentrate fully on form and become one with my body, turning off my over-active mind off. It's meditative, yet engaging my body fully...
Well-put and so true! That hour of barre class is the only time of day when I'm guaranteed to be completely present and aware of my breath, what my body is doing (shaking, typically) and how it feels (ouch, often). I actually stopped doing yoga for a while b/c barre was giving me the same mental/emotional benefits (though I've since started incorporating it a bit more).
marissajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 05:03 PM  
Carb8985

Talking

Wow! Maybe it's my Type-A personality that explains why I love barre workouts SO much. I'm also an attorney, although a brand-new one I consider myself to be highly detail-oriented and a perfectionist in everything I do. And I think barre, in order to be truly effective, does require a certain degree of perfection in terms of form and endurance.

Back in the day, when I used to do Cathe and other heavy weight workouts, I used to DREAD my workout all day long. I always knew they were good for me, so I kept up with it and enjoyed them to a certain degree, but I would always look forward to being D-O-N-E with them.

Now, since finding barre (about a year ago), I every single workout I have ever done. In fact, I love barre so much that I actually dread my rest days! And the results I get with barre are amazing. I feel lean, flexible, and tall (which is saying a lot at 5' 2"). Plus, my butt has never looked better

Who knew that my personality and barre were made for each other?
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 07:35 PM  
acta5534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb8985 View Post
Back in the day, when I used to do Cathe and other heavy weight workouts, I used to DREAD my workout all day long. I always knew they were good for me, so I kept up with it and enjoyed them to a certain degree, but I would always look forward to being D-O-N-E with them.

Now, since finding barre (about a year ago), I every single workout I have ever done. In fact, I love barre so much that I actually dread my rest days! And the results I get with barre are amazing. I feel lean, flexible, and tall (which is saying a lot at 5' 2"). Plus, my butt has never looked better
I could have written this myself. I didn't do Cathe or weights. I only jogged as my cardio and DREADED it every time. My knees would hurt and I would get bulky and I was always hungry.

Barre workouts has been so great for me. In addition to all those benefits you mentioned, I feel like super woman. My friend and I went hiking last weekend and he was amazed at how well I did. He was short of breath and exhausted, but I wasn't. I kicked a guy's but in hiking. Pretty proud of myself.
acta5534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 08:03 PM  
kariev34

This has been such a great thread. I appreciate each and every response.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 09:22 AM  
Carb8985

Quote:
Originally Posted by acta5534 View Post
I could have written this myself. I didn't do Cathe or weights. I only jogged as my cardio and DREADED it every time. My knees would hurt and I would get bulky and I was always hungry.

Barre workouts has been so great for me. In addition to all those benefits you mentioned, I feel like super woman. My friend and I went hiking last weekend and he was amazed at how well I did. He was short of breath and exhausted, but I wasn't. I kicked a guy's but in hiking. Pretty proud of myself.
Glad to hear that someone else feels the same way I do about barre And, yes, I often feel like super woman as well. The other day I challenged my BF in pushups and I beat him. Woo-hoo!

Acta, that's great to hear that barre really helps with endurance more generally. Just another reason to keep doing it
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 08:23 AM  
kariev34

I have another question. How long did it take for you all to see a change in your body with barre workout? Also, what else do you do in addition to these (cardio, etc)
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 10:24 AM  
RachelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
I have another question. How long did it take for you all to see a change in your body with barre workout? Also, what else do you do in addition to these (cardio, etc)
You start to see results pretty quickly. Within a few weeks. The best part is that you CONTINUE to see results. I have been at it for six months and the benefits keep showing up. I'm excited to see what the next six months bring!
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre results