Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-14, 08:28 AM  
geojill

Thoughts on Kettlebell Kickboxing

I have been interested in this for quite a while and am on the fence...I like kettlebells and love kickboxing. The combination sounds like a match made in heaven . I'm considering the scorcher series right now as it just seems less overwhelming to me compared to the number of dvds in the body series.

Background: Mentally I am at the very least a high intermediate (I used to be very regular in my workouts and was a fitness instructor for a short period of time - several years ago, but my mind thinks I should still be at that point). Physically, however, I'm probably a good solid beginner or high beginner because I simply have not been working out regularly. Right now I'm trying to work on getting back into a regular workout habit and will really focus on that in the beginning of May when I get back from vacation.

Can you please offer your thoughts, both positive and negative? I've seen a preview clip and know she talks a lot and there's no way of knowing if it will irritate me unless I do it.
Old 04-19-14, 08:44 AM  
violingal3

Love the Scorcher set, didn't care for the Body set. Dasha combines all my loves into some killer workouts. In fact, I am hitting the beach in a month, so I am just going to focus on this set for the next four weeks. I know she drives a lot of people nuts with her chatter, but I work so hard I don't notice. Sounds like you should definitely go at your own pace and work up to these with poundage, but they are only ~40 minutes with very generous warm ups and cool downs, so definitely doable.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-14, 10:42 AM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

I love the Scorcher series - haven't tried Body. They are great, fun workouts to me! She does talk a lot, but it doesn't bother me. I feel like these aren't beginner workouts, though. There is a modifier, but they are still intense. You can kind of go at your own pace during the moves, though, so you could just go slower.
Old 04-20-14, 12:38 AM  
readcookrun

I love, love, love KBKB! I bought the Scorcher series back at the end of November and did it almost exclusively for 3 months without planning to because it was just so fun! I, too, was worried about the talking bc I've done a lot of Tracy Anderson in the past and like that instructors don't talk. I found that I didn't mind Dasha's chattiness at all bc, as others said, you're working too hard to pay attention. When I finally got used to the moves, I found most of her talk to be good tips. There was once or twice I was annoyed at something she said at first but I started reading her blog and website. Once I "got to know" more of her personality, I liked her all the more and was able to accept whatever annoyed me.

I'm more of a high intermediate exerciser but i do think you can do things at your own pace and modify a lot. (She has a great modifier for each DVD, except the abs one--I can't remember if she had one.) one negative I can think of is that she has a background exerciser Sarah who doesn't have as good a form as the others so I never look at her.

Towards the end of March I was getting ready to buy a new set. It was my intention to get the Body series but somehow convinced myself that I wanted the P90X3 series more. It's a great set but I just didn't feel worked out enough after 30 min. (That will not be the case for the Scorcher series.) So I'm returning P90X3 and got the Body Series. I hope I love it as much as Scorcher.
readcookrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 06:49 AM  
kariev34

Can these be done with a dumbbell and it be as effective as with a KB?
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 07:05 AM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
Can these be done with a dumbbell and it be as effective as with a KB?
Dumbbell modifications are shown in the Scorcher set, but don't remember seeing that in the Body series. I prefer the Scorcher set and find it more challenging than the Body Series. The Body Series was very unorganized IMHO.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 07:06 AM  
gilbjeter

I think Dasha just finished filming her new set. You may want to wait and see what that one is like too. I have had my eye on her workouts for quite some time so I am going to wait and see what her third series will be like.
gilbjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 07:38 AM  
geojill

Thanks everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it! I think that I am going to set a time frame to re-establish my habit of working out, and then use this set as a treat for completing that period of time.
Old 04-20-14, 11:12 AM  
trish r
VF Supporter

I am loving the Scorcher Series. Normally lots of chatter bothers me, and I'm not thrilled by how much she talks, but I like the workouts well enough to get over it. They are challenging, but fun. The short length gives me the option to add a short yoga session if I feel like it.

I do three a week alternating with cardio and/or yoga the other days. I have to modify all the burpee/sprawl moves by stepping back one leg at a time. I still get lots of good cardio out of them.

I am 60 and not in advanced-type shape, but I can do these my own way at my own pace and feel I get real fitness benefits from them. It's been 2 months since I started this regimen and I can feel real gains in stamina and how well I can execute the moves.
trish r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 07:38 PM  
MelissaR

I'm addicted to these workouts too! I've been doing these exclusively since Sept 2013. Initially I got The Body Series & loved it so much, I got the Scorcher Series. Now, I interchange them. These workouts pack a lot into a little time, plus they are total body workouts.

I would recommend getting Scorcher Series first since it's less expensive, then if you like it, you can always get The Body Series later or wait to see what the new series is all about. No matter what you decide, I think you'll like them too!
MelissaR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kbkb, kettlebell, kettlebell kickboxing