Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-21, 09:06 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher View Post

Currently read Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore. So far it’s keeping my interest but is a bit different with the time jumping between years thing.
I started Oona Out of Order and wanted to like it but I couldn't keep up with the time jumping and ran out of patience. Maybe I'll try again another time.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 10:24 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I have enjoyed the Kate Morton books I've read, so I'll probably try to get to another this year. I've read The House at Riverton, The Lake House, and The Forgotten Garden - what other books of hers do you recommend? All of the ones I've read so far have (somewhat) similar themes, so it would be nice to read something a little different of hers.

I also really enjoyed Liane Moriarty's The Hypnotist's Love Story this past year. I'd like to read another by her as well, but I've heard that her work is somewhat hit or miss. I don't like books with a lot of repeated frustrations for the reader (I think I heard that Truly Madly Guilty and The Husband's Secret were like this). Any recommendations?
ETA: Maybe Three Wishes? I'm one of three girls, so I like reading books about three sisters.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 10:38 AM  
Carol K

Liane Moriarty is my sister's favorite writer and she recommended The Husband's Secret to me. I enjoyed the book and I thought she had a unique way of telling a story. I haven't read any others. My favorite writers are Anne Tyler and Alice Hoffman and I like reading the novels that Masterpiece dramas are based on.
Old 01-09-21, 10:42 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks Carol! I have read most of Anne Tyler's books. I like her quirkiness, although sometimes I get a bit of a "what's the point?" feeling from her books. I have read a few from Anne Hoffman and have had even more of a "meh" reaction.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 10:45 AM  
Carol K

Anne Tyler makes me laugh and Alice Hoffman makes me cry (especially the bonds she creates between people and animals).
Old 01-09-21, 05:22 PM  
Cher

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I started Oona Out of Order and wanted to like it but I couldn't keep up with the time jumping and ran out of patience. Maybe I'll try again another time.
The one main problem that bothers me about Oona Out of Order is the author hasn’t said why this is happening to her. My brain keeps going back to “why” is this happening though.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 05:31 PM  
BunnyHop

In a general what-to-read-next sorta way, I like Elizabeth Goudge. Haven't read all hers, but what I've read is well done and sort of gently old fashioned, without being saccharine.

Aimee Bender's The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake was quite good.

A more recent read for me was Anthony Trollope's The Small House at Allington. It's a bit soapy for my taste, but I was listening to the audio cds at bedtime and found it a lovely way to drift off to sleep. The only flaw in that plan came towards the end of the book when I'd stay up late and then lounge in bed in the mornings just to finish the book, LOL!!! I'm eventually planning to read more of his, but I'm torn about what method. I like his work in audio, but the library doesn't have many. May well just get one at a time for birthdays and Christmas for the next few years, I do like having something dependable to look forward to.
Old 01-09-21, 06:37 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Laura, I think Nights of Rain and Stars was one of my least favorite Maeve Binchy books. I do not even remember the plot.
ha! Thanks! I think you just gave me permission to stop reading it. Usually, I don't need it, but this one was so on the line.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 07:28 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I have enjoyed the Kate Morton books I've read, so I'll probably try to get to another this year. I've read The House at Riverton, The Lake House, and The Forgotten Garden - what other books of hers do you recommend? All of the ones I've read so far have (somewhat) similar themes, so it would be nice to read something a little different of hers.

I also really enjoyed Liane Moriarty's The Hypnotist's Love Story this past year. I'd like to read another by her as well, but I've heard that her work is somewhat hit or miss. I don't like books with a lot of repeated frustrations for the reader (I think I heard that Truly Madly Guilty and The Husband's Secret were like this). Any recommendations?
ETA: Maybe Three Wishes? I'm one of three girls, so I like reading books about three sisters.
Beth, I’d recommend either The Husband’s Secret or What Alice Forgot. Three Wishes wasn’t bad either, I liked it but preferred the other two. I think the only book she wrote that disappointed me was Truly, Madly, Guilty.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 07:55 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
ha! Thanks! I think you just gave me permission to stop reading it. Usually, I don't need it, but this one was so on the line.
Did some of that one take place in Spain? I could be wrong. I have a vague memory. I don't like when authors move their usual main setting. I much prefer the Melissa Hill books set in Ireland and can't get into the ones set in other places.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, winter reading