Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-15, 07:43 PM  
Sophie

Skogg news (trigger warning: includes description of violence)

I totally forgot that I followed Michael Skogg's facebook feed, so I was quite astonished to see a post regarding his (falsified) claim to have been a Navy Seal. Here's the blog post the FB post linked:

Trigger warning: description of violence http://skoggkettlebell.com/cleaning-closets/#more-388

I never did buy a Skogg workout, I can't say I've been a dedicated follower. Just wondering what fellow VFers are thinking. I know on my part, it's something like finding out about Rodney Yee cheating on his wife, and John Friend just being ewwww.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 10:42 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I think it's pretty shocking, both his deceit and his brutality. Am I right in interpreting this as a matter of confessing because his lie was discovered?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-15, 11:47 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Wow...this is awful. Yeah, it sounds like he is only confessing because he got caught, and knowing that if he didn't come clean, then the facts would keep filtering in. Way worse than Rodney Yee. Yeah, about like John Friend (although that had a way more gross factor) with perpetuating profiteering by pretending to be a Navy Seal. Ugh. I love how he blames the marketing department instead of his own past lies.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 12:52 AM  
Taiga

I've used his programs on a very limited basis and can't claim any kind of particular fondness. But I can relate to human foibles.

It could take a while for the whole truth to surface, but honestly if his story pans out I'm glad he's out from under it. I hope the people who respond to his apology think very hard on their own skeletons. Imagine what it would be like to have your darkest secrets/embarrassments paraded. Sometimes you hope so much for time and distance to heal your mistakes. Maybe he finally built something in his life that had meaning and just didn't want it jeopardized by bad decisions made long ago.

I don't feel shocked when these kind of things surface. I assume that people are out there making mistakes and shooting an exercise video certainly doesn't exempt you from human frailty. I actually feel more irritated by instructors who don't do their fitness job well (Ellen's "Skinny is the new wealthy" comes to mind, blech) because that seems to be a more reasonable assessment for a fitness instructor.
Old 05-25-15, 03:41 AM  
naturallove

The SEALs do not play games, and I can't say that I blame them. The physical, mental and emotional process required to become a SEAL is beyond grueling, and I think that this is part of what creates an elite brotherhood (I don't think there are female SEALs yet) that they don't take kindly to others lying about. Apparently a retired SEAL and his wife hunted Skogg down to confront him; a preview is below:
http://videos.extremesealexperience....ttle-Bell-Dude
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 05:32 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I've used his programs on a very limited basis and can't claim any kind of particular fondness. But I can relate to human foibles.

It could take a while for the whole truth to surface, but honestly if his story pans out I'm glad he's out from under it. I hope the people who respond to his apology think very hard on their own skeletons. Imagine what it would be like to have your darkest secrets/embarrassments paraded. Sometimes you hope so much for time and distance to heal your mistakes. Maybe he finally built something in his life that had meaning and just didn't want it jeopardized by bad decisions made long ago.

I don't feel shocked when these kind of things surface. I assume that people are out there making mistakes and shooting an exercise video certainly doesn't exempt you from human frailty. I actually feel more irritated by instructors who don't do their fitness job well (Ellen's "Skinny is the new wealthy" comes to mind, blech) because that seems to be a more reasonable assessment for a fitness instructor.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
The SEALs do not play games, and I can't say that I blame them. The physical, mental and emotional process required to become a SEAL is beyond grueling, and I think that this is part of what creates an elite brotherhood (I don't think there are female SEALs yet) that they don't take kindly to others lying about. Apparently a retired SEAL and his wife hunted Skogg down to confront him; a preview is below:
http://videos.extremesealexperience....ttle-Bell-Dude
This SEAL says something to the effect of; "He's infamous because of these fake navy seal claims." I know who Michael Skogg is and actually own his original set of DVDS, which were given to me by a dear friend. Until I read this thread I had no idea he claimed to have been a Navy SEAL. Maybe I knew it at one point but apparently it wasn't what my memory held onto as far as who Michael Skogg is and what he's about.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 05:52 AM  
PhyllisG

Lying about being a Navy Seal is bad enough but the admission that he choked someone into unconscious more than once...do not resuscitate....was plain scary. That was for identifying him!
Don't see how that compares at all to EB's skinny is the new wealthy. I think I prefer that comment to the senseless violence of assaulting someone.
I can see why someone called him out on his past history. Is that why he came forward? Sure we all have skeletons in our closet but this is a pretty big one.
Lying about being a Seal is something I can understand if you were dropped from the program but being thrown out for violent behavior and being court martialed is a very different story.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 06:33 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
Lying about being a Navy Seal is bad enough but the admission that he choked someone into unconscious more than once...do not resuscitate....was plain scary. That was for identifying him!
Don't see how that compares at all to EB's skinny is the new wealthy. I think I prefer that comment to the senseless violence of assaulting someone.
I can see why someone called him out on his past history. Is that why he came forward? Sure we all have skeletons in our closet but this is a pretty big one.
Lying about being a Seal is something I can understand if you were dropped from the program but being thrown out for violent behavior and being court martialed is a very different story.
You make some excellent points Phyllis. I just went back and followed the link in the OP.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 05-25-15, 06:39 AM  
Hej

I feel sorry for Skogg. He was a crazy kid who did terrible things, but he seems to have turned his life around. He should have told the truth sooner, but I can understand if the moment didn't seem to present itself.

The present kerfuffle? Skogg's idiotic lie, or a "genuine" ex-Seal on a mission to expose idiotic liars? I'm honestly not sure which is worse.
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-15, 08:03 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej View Post
I feel sorry for Skogg. He was a crazy kid who did terrible things, but he seems to have turned his life around. He should have told the truth sooner, but I can understand if the moment didn't seem to present itself.

The present kerfuffle? Skogg's idiotic lie, or a "genuine" ex-Seal on a mission to expose idiotic liars? I'm honestly not sure which is worse.
Your statement that I bolded for emphasis is what really rubs me the wrong way. Not your statement, but the idea of this Ex-Seal on mission. He seems to be out for blood as is his wife, who has no connection to the SEALS other than being married to an exSEAL.

Clearly I'm conflicted about the situation.

Tags
instructor behaving badly, liars, michael skogg, navy seal, skogg, special ops