Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-17-20, 04:33 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I didn't even realize there was a new thread! But i'm here!

Fall questions:
1. Has your endurance training changed without races to train for?
Definitely. I am ALL over the place--bootcamp, bike, streaming, I'm doing it all and feel like maybe that's not the best approach.
2. What is your go-to activity for stress management? Hiking, but it's still 1,000,000 degrees here. Seriously, I sometimes just drive listening to "rage music" and that helps.
3. If you could learn something new, fitness or otherwise, what would it be? Good question! Small goal--I want to learn to make crepes. Bigger, and not completely new--play French horn. I played in high school but didn't have my own (borrowed from school) so haven't played since.

I was ramping up my running and then my hip suddenly got bad while up north doing a trail run. So now I'm trying to use my spin bike more and do LOTS of hip/glute rehab. I am also really trying to get my eating under control. I feel like I've tried it all--fewer carbs, smaller portions, logging, etc. and nothing really works. :/ Now I'm sort of trying intermittent fasting--I wait until after 9 AM to have breakfast so hopefully my meals are all within fewer hours and maybe I'm not as hungry?

I'm still job hunting. Interviews are exhausting. I actually got an offer yesterday which was a surprise because I spoke to the woman Monday and thought there would be more steps in the process. It's not a job I'm dying for but it is 100% remote and would give me new experience. It's also pretty low pay and not great benefits, so I'm still thinking.

It is finally a tiny bit cooler here--mornings in the mid-70s instead of high 80s, so there is that! Oh, and my kids went back to school the Tuesday after Labor Day so now I have some actual time to myself.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-20, 08:55 AM  
Vantreesta

Hey, guys. My dad left this morning for home so I'm feeling kind of blue. Not sure if I'll accomplish much but that's okay for today. I was going to (for real) start CLX and running but now I'm considering the CLX/TurboFire hybrid rotation with running. I'm not happy at all with my abs and I was remembering how much kickboxing does for them. I need to decide so I can start today.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-20, 04:00 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, how long was your dad there? It's nice you were able to see him. I still don't know when we'll be able to visit our parents. We'd have to fly, not drive, so that complicates things. Kickboxing is definitely great for abs and for hips too. I'd like to start it again (and currently have a free Les Mills trial so I can do Bodycombat) but need to get my hip a bit stronger first.

Allison, do you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep? I think I'm having hot flashes again at night that are waking me up. I know for sure I have them during the day. It's a bit cooler here at night and still I wake up sweaty. I am impressed at your perseverance! I need to stick with something but just can't figure out what. My workouts have been all over the place lately.

I was all ready to accept that job offer from last week (today is the deadline) and then I got a request from a company for a second interview! It could be a MUCH better position and would definitely pay better.

It's awful, but I think I'm going to accept and then back out if I get the other one. Has anyone ever done that?

I am all over the place with workouts. Trying to avoid impact, and even kickboxing isn't doable right now, so I'm doing a lot of 20 minute cycle workouts. Still doing strength, with lighter weights, slow movements, etc. and tons of hip strengthening.

My workouts are kind of like my life! Ah well, hopefully I'll get it at least somewhat together at some point.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 09-23-20, 08:28 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: A CLX/TurboFire hybrid sounds interesting. I haven't done any kickboxing for a while. Glad you had that time with your dad.

Pratima: I usually can fall asleep right away, but I can't stay asleep. Lately I'm waking up a little as an hour and a half later. Last night I woke up so many times I lost count. On good nights I fall right back to sleep, but other nights aren't as good. I have night sweats about half the time. I hope the second interview goes well for you! This is the best I've ever done with keeping to a workout plan, but that's only because I'm still working at home full-time and only one kid's here, and she's pretty self-sufficient. Although she's having a rough morning today! When both kids were home I was a mess--and it's the "adult" one who needs more from me. She's struggling a bit on her own and I get many texts every day, but she's starting to get the hang of it.

Me: I'm doing mostly ok. My foot still hurts. I tried to call my doctor once but got voicemail, so I need to try again. I'd do it right now while I'm thinking about it, but I know he's closed on Wednesdays.

Workouts since last check-in:
Wed: Peloton 75 min--XOXO Cody, Sam climb, Ally feel good.
Thurs: STS M3 W1 biceps, triceps, shoulders; 10 min abs; 1:50 pretty easy hike with some friends
Fri: Shenandoah National Park--1 moderate hike and 1 hard hike, about 2 hrs each
Sat: Peloton 60 min Matt power zone ride, Earth Body Yoga
Sun: Pure rest day! Although I still had to get up beyond early because Meg had a 8:00 am soccer game 1.5 hrs away.
Mon: STS M3 W2 chest & back, Beastie Abs (officially known as Hammer Abs from Hammer & Chisel)
Tues: STS M3 W2 legs, PY4H Quickie, ran 2.5 slow miles
Wed: Peloton 85 min: XOXO Cody, Ben climb, Denis cooldown
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-20, 07:27 PM  
Vantreesta

So apparently they weren't able to open my CC info and order form or never saw my email about the elliptical adapter. I had done it in the 4th and finally emailed on the 13th to follow up. The reply said I had to call nonwarranty service and gave the number. Grrr. I was sincerely aggravated. Anyway I called I think last Friday and supposedly it was for real ordered and he said 5-7 days for delivery. I'm hoping it comes tmrw if it's not in my mailbox now.

We have been hot (for MN in Sept) this week and I couldn't make myself run. I haven't run since 8/20 and am feeling pretty frustrated with myself.

I decided to go with the CLX/TurboFire rotation but ask me again next week! I feel like I'm still floundering around trying to wrangle myself into line. Monday after Dad left I did TF Stretch 40 and day 1 of Lee Holden's 30-Day Qi Gong challenge. Tuesday I put up a lot of my outdoor Halloween stuff after spending an hour trimming bushes, no formal workouts. Yesterday I did days 27 and 28 of the DoYouYoga 30 Days of Yoga challenge, CLX Ab Burner and day 2 of Qi Gong and ran errands in the afternoon. Today I did DYY day 29, Qi Gong day 3, CLX Burn Circuit 1 and CLX Recharge. I have missed several planned workouts. Sigh. Tmrw I'm not sure what I'll get done bc I have a Zoom mtg at 11 and then am going shopping.

It was really nice having Dad here. I miss him. We didn't do a lot, mostly binge watched 3 seasons of Longmire, but we did load up Cyric and go to the wolf center and a state park with glacial potholes one day, which was fun.

Will try to do personals and answer my questions tmrw!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 10-02-20, 08:14 AM  
Vantreesta

29 degrees this morning! I knew there was a frost advisory but I still wasn't expecting it.

I've had a rough week. I didn't realize how much I was using baseball to avoid feelings. I'm feeling sad and anxious and have had headaches most days this week. I did workout some. I did Classical Stretch (still can't get into this) or yoga every morning before breakfast and the only other thing I can remember right now was CLX Burn Circuit 2 on Tuesday. I baked cookies after the Twins were eliminated from playoffs bc I was so depressed. Yesterday I made sausage rolls for my father-in-law.

Old 10-02-20, 11:44 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Grr I tried to post a few days ago and kept getting an error message.

Alison, I have the same issue with falling asleep and then waking up. Right now it's partially because my hip is bothering me again and if I sleep on that side, it gets sore. Between that and hot flashes I feel like I'm up a lot! Any idea how long you'll get to work from home? Have you thought any more about getting a spin bike?

Vantreesta, I can't even remember what 29 degrees feels like! We are going up north and I guess the low is around 40. Was your Zoom meeting for fun or something serious? How are you feeling now that you realize you were using baseball to avoid feelings?

On that note, I realized this past week is the first time in months I haven't had to tell myself to stop clenching my jaw, breathe, and drop my shoulders. Between the kids doing online school, the job hunt, and life in general, I was pretty anxious all the time.

My kids have been on fall break this week (and next) and it was the first true break. They'd been in school 3 weeks and while DS got in trouble 2 of those weeks, at least I wasn't the only one holding them accountable AND teaching them.

I ended up taking the job I was offered a couple weeks ago. It's 100% telecommute, working for a company that develops training materials for the military. They have a 1-year contract for this group that I'm part of. After that, I could get onto another contract or of course find a new job. The benefits are decent but not great, same with pay. Still, it's nice to have a job and know I'm set for at least a year. I'll have to work Eastern hours so initially that could mean some very early days!

The past week I've been doing a Peloton barre challenge--6 workouts in 7 days. I got my 7th workout today (the 6th day). They're all short--10-30 minutes--and relatively basic but I felt like they really helped me focus on form. I've also done spin workouts, mostly Peloton and some Les Mills.

Went to the PT Wednesday and going again today for my hip. I'm seeing someone different. She seems to want to work everything, not just my hip, so that's good.

It is FINALLY fall-ish around here (lows in the high 60s so I've also got the kids taking walks with me again. We're supposed to go to the Grand Canyon next week. I'm looking forward to a little vacation before I start work again!

Old 10-03-20, 03:54 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

It's fall here too! Finally!

Pratima: I ended up buying a new car a few weeks ago, so I have to put the spin bike (and anything else I don't absolutely need) on hold for a little while. Originally we were going to get DD a used car, but my car was so old and I finally have a job where I can buy a car on my own, so I bought myself a new Outback and M is driving my old car. I have no idea how long I'll be home. They're not telling us much anymore. I hope you like your new job.

Vantreesta: 29 degrees! Wow! I'm so happy it's finally cooled down here. I'm a lifelong Pittsburgh Pirates fan, so I feel your pain. I couldn't get into baseball this year.

Me: My workouts have been mostly the same. Monday will start my final week of STS. Yay! I'm so glad I was able to stick with it. I haven't been hiking in a few weeks, but I took a 23.17 mile bike ride yesterday, and it felt so good. I'm planning to do it again next Friday, which I'm taking off for my birthday. I'm still loving the Peloton rides on my ancient spin bike. My running is a little faster now too, so that's encouraging. I kept up with Jean on all but the last hill on Thursday. She spent most of the summer turning around to talk to me as we ran. Tomorrow will be a run around the lake with weather in the upper 50s. Woo hoo!

Alison
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 01:41 PM  
Vantreesta

Hey, guys. I'm still here. I did yoga or CS four mornings last week. I don't remember what else. I think Wed I did day 7 of the Crossrope beginner's challenge and TF Stretch 10. I was determined to get back on track today but I felt sick when I went to bed last night and was awake most of the night. Still not great today so I'm taking it easy, watching too much TV. I swear, every time I saw I am determined to get back on track I end up with a migraine or SI joints out of whack or smthg! I can't believe Halloween is less than three weeks away. I keep adding little things. Saturday I added three ghosts and I armed my skeletons with axes and a sickle! And I have floating glowing witch hats now.

Pratima, the Zoom meeting was for support group. We lost several people when it had to go virtual so they wanted to make a video explaining how it worked and about support group and everything to see if it will help break the barrier for people who are reluctant to go virtual. I hope it helps. Congrats on the job! I'm sure it's a relief to have it settled even if it isn't perfect. As far as how I'm feeling without baseball, very up and down. I'm missing my mom a lot more, it's really sinking in and it's hard.

Alison, I think a lot of people felt that way about baseball this year. It was very different. Nice job sticking with STS! I think I only made it through the first 5 workouts. It wasn't that I didn't like it. I don't know if it was a time thing since I was working or if it was just the exercise ADD.

Old 10-12-20, 01:49 PM  
Vantreesta

Fall questions:
1. Has your endurance training changed without races to train for? It's been nonexistent since about June. I never realized how much races helped motivate me. Although there are other things at play this year that are probably affecting it too.

2. What is your go-to activity for stress management? Probably crocheting and hiking. Oh and definitely baking although I'm trying not to do that since we really don't need to be eating that stuff.

3. If you could learn something new, fitness or otherwise, what would it be? I would like to learn more about nutrition and actually apply it to my life. I'd like to find healthier ways to bake that still taste delicious. I'd like to learn more about dog training and how to make chainmail. Fitness wise, I'd like to try kayaking.