Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-02-20, 09:14 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Daphne: I saw Kamala’s Instagram post from that market. So cool that you saw her. I’m normally not one to follow a politician on social media, so I skim past anything political and look at stuff like that. Overdressed on TG was cropped leggings and a long-sleeve dryfit tee. Shorts and short sleeves would have been good.

Pratima: I do both Mon-Fri. Early am is BB plus either abs or yoga, and lunch is ride or run. Sat is only longer yoga and Sun is only longer run. I’m only able to keep this schedule cause I’m still working at home and DD can drive herself places now (not that she has many places to go these days).

Vantreesta: Sorry to hear your aunt isn’t doing well. Yes, this year needs to be over! You and Daphne really have me wanting a rower!

Perfect 30: I have the workouts, but I haven’t opened them yet. Based on the clips, I think I’ll like the strength ones and the mobility one. The cardio and the yoga don’t look like my thing.

Orthotics: I love my customs. They are all padded with a solid heel underneath. I tried to switch to box ones, but they didn’t work for my feet, so back to the foot dr I went.

Other shoes: I wear Inov8 for lifting, but I can’t use them for anything else. I haven’t found a cross trainer I like since the old Ryka days. The new Under Armour Project Rock shoes look interesting, so I might try them.

Peloton: I’m seriously considering their bike now that the original one is slightly more affordable. What I don’t like is that the membership is $26 more a month if you have the bike vs. just the app. I don’t really need all the leaderboard stuff you get for that, but I would like having the power output and a few other features their bike has.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 03:25 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH View Post
Perfect 30: I have the workouts, but I haven’t opened them yet. Based on the clips, I think I’ll like the strength ones and the mobility one. The cardio and the yoga don’t look like my thing.
Same. And I already have a lot of mobility practices that I don't do often enough, so even if the mobility workout is good, I'm not getting it. So it comes back to the strength workouts.

Vannie - Any comment on Cathe's rep pace in Perfect 30? I'm worried that it will feel like I'm trying to fit 45-minute worth of reps into 30 minutes. Thirty minutes at a reasonable pace is just fine by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
Peloton: I’m seriously considering their bike now that the original one is slightly more affordable. What I don’t like is that the membership is $26 more a month if you have the bike vs. just the app. I don’t really need all the leaderboard stuff you get for that, but I would like having the power output and a few other features their bike has.
Agreed on the price structure being a big jump and also agreed on the power output being really useful. Leaderboards can go either way. The Hydrow leaderboards suck me in too easily on days when I am trying to go easier. I don't need to be fast but I have a fear of being last, so when people start passing me, I start speeding up. Ease up there, sailor!

Speaking of easy days
- I took one today and it was the best. 30 minute walk + 5 minute warm-up row with Nick + 10 minute Pilates. I've started doing the Coffee Break French podcast to try to refresh my old high school/college language skills and am enjoying it on my walks, although the narrator always translates the sentences I already understand and then skips over the one phrase where I'm going, "c'est what?"
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 03:36 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Daphne, do you have a stationary bike or are you still using your trainer? I got so tired of putting my bike on it! But of course as soon as I took it off, it got cold here (like 36 degrees in the morning) so I still haven't ridden! The shout-outs during Peloton workouts get a little annoying. I did one yoga workout and they drove me bonkers.

Alison, somehow I have trouble motivating myself to work out once I'm at my desk. I did tons of reading the first few weeks at this job and told myself I'd do it on my bike but never have. I could do one very early (5 AM) workout and then another after I drop the kids off (8 AM). I just have to wrap my mind around that.

I use the Kinetic app for power. I guess it's not super-precise but you at least get relative power readings so can do the PowerZone workouts. I've only played around with it so far. i usually do Peloton workouts on TV with a Fire box, but did get an iPad from my dad so I could use Kinetic and Peloton on there.

Vantreesta, I love my Altras too for running and hiking. I have Hoka Tivra cross trainers and some Under Armour Amp shoes I got at Ross. I was alternating those to Burn. The Nanos seem to have wide toe boxes like these others so hopefully they'll work!

I'm trying out the bike bootcamp Pelo workouts this week. Did a 60 minute one today. They're good but not a lot of weight work, so Friday I'll probably do all weights.

Trying to figure out how to get a run in tomorrow. It is so cold and dark in the morning and i have a 7 AM call. Might try for after that, though even then it'll probably be around 41!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 05:22 PM  
Vantreesta

My rowing meter distance is in miles so 2.7 miles is around 4345 meters. That makes me feel much better!

I had a dentist appt smack dab in the middle of the day at noon, by which time I am never done with all my morning stuff, plus I am still tired, so today has been a rest day. After the dentist I had to run to the grocery store and frankly going anywhere just drains me these days. I did get the groceries put away and folded laundry so not a completely lost day. I have been working on my December spreadsheets since I got home bc I didn't get them done yet. We spent the long wknd up north with my father-in-law and since getting home I've been trying to do things I should be doing.

Perfect 30 comments: I don't remember feeling like the reps were rushed at all on the weight workouts. I did, however, feel like I wanted a bit more time between exercises to write down my weights/reps and get a drink. I have done the high impact HIIT and enjoyed it, but I'm also not burnt out on drills like a lot of people are bc I haven't really done them in forever. I was surprised at how little I had to modify this workout considering how deconditioned I am. I did use the 8" step for my hands for all burpee and squat thrust exercises. I enjoyed the mobility workout and found it to be the easiest of the ones I've done, for sure. I haven't done the yoga or the low impact HIIT yet or the bonuses. HTH!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 05:26 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Daphne, do you have a stationary bike or are you still using your trainer?
Sold my spin bike about 15 years ago, so in theory I use the bike + trainer, but in practice, I use neither! Truth is, I can't stand indoor cycling anymore. I've tried over and over again to get back into it in the last five years, but oh the torture. I finally allowed myself to stop trying. Now I use the Peloton app for the tread runs, bootcamps and occasionally strength training. Rowing has been a real godsend since I desperately needed a low impact cardio option. I knew I enjoyed rowing from my Orangetheory workouts, but Hydrow has exceeded my expectations 100-fold.

Vannie - thanks for the Perfect 30 details. I'm adding the strength workout to my Christmas list. Norm will be happy: he misses the days when he could put all those DVDs under the tree for me. (That he made Jamie wrap!)

Pratima - I chose the Reebok Nano's because of the wide toe box and they did not disappoint. I have narrow heel/wide forefoot and these feel perfect. I use them for rowing and lifting, but they felt awful when I did some running with them. (I can do circuits with the rower/treadmill/weights in my basement but I have to swap shoes quickly if I decide to run.)

More Pratima - That Kinetic app sounds great for the bike. Good luck with your morning run. Forty-one degrees is actually my favorite running weather!

Alison - Regarding "box" orthortic inserts: I hated Superfeet but I love Currex.

Me - I ran 3.33 miles this morning (the long tights came out at last), then rowed for 15 minutes. I pushed myself and ran about 5-10 seconds per mile faster than usual and am thrilled about it. The row was what Hydrow calls a "sweat" -- we'd consider it a tempo workout with longer intervals in the orange HR zone. This morning I rowed in Boston and in Burlington, Vermont.
Fall is turning into winter.

Hydrow is adding yoga to its On the Mat classes this week so I'll have to try out a session. They currently have an On the Mat library of about 150+ Pilates, bodyweight strength, row/strength circuit and mobilization workouts. I've only tried a few and liked them. There's an older dude (70s?) who leads the strength and mobilization work and he cracks me up.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 12-04-20, 12:12 AM  
Vantreesta

Thu 12/3 0 minutes
8 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong Challenge day 12) R-AM 1st time
30 minutes (from Rowvember day 2) R-AM
35 minutes (from XTrain Hard Strikes premix 16 Timesaver no conditioning) R-AM

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 12-04-20, 11:37 PM  
Vantreesta

I bailed on my workouts today. I'm just in a funk. My moms both loved Christmas and I'm just having a hard time without them here. I've been trying to put up decorations and I realized today I just don't have the heart to go all out like usual so I'm keeping it more simple. I need hubby to help me move the couch down more so I can put up the tree and decorate it tmrw and that's gonna be about it. But first things first in the morning, gotta workout. We don't do as long of walks on the wknds bc more dogs are out so I should be able to get started earlier.

Very thankful to report my aunt was able to go home today! She will be on oxygen for now but i'm.just so glad she's doing better. Thanks for everyone's concern and prayers.

Old 12-05-20, 03:32 PM  
Vantreesta

I unwillingly did around 4-5 hours of digital decluttering the last two days as my phone had decided it didn't have enough free space for apps to work correctly. Thank the Lord for my brother's help bc honestly I was freaking out and super stressed that I was going to lose everything. I've also had a bad headache the last two days (possibly related?) and think I'm skipping workouts today. Hubby is working again so I'm puttering around doing little things. We're getting Mexican food for supper and I cannot wait. I will try really hard to ignore the voice that keeps reminding me I'm at my highest weight ever. Next week I'm making lefse so I need to scale back the workouts to just the Cathe rotation or I'll be stressed and berating myself for not getting it all done!

Old 12-07-20, 07:31 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I finally ran again yesterday.I only missed two runs, but after being so consistent, it felt like more. I just couldn’t get motivated to get out the door last week. But yesterday’s run around the lake was good. It was 36 degrees, which sounded cold to me at first, but I guess one blessing of these hot flashes is I appreciate cold weather now! My foot pain is pretty bad though, so I really hope the orthotics come in soon.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 11:33 AM  
Daphne M

Vannie - I'm sorry for your holiday funk. It's understandable after the year you've had. Be kind to yourself -- if that means working out -- great. If that means cuddling with Cyric --that seems like it would always be a good choice. For me, tackling simple tasks helps a lot and gets me to a mental place where I can take on bigger things but YMMV. (And I mean REALLY SIMPLE: unloading the dishwasher, folding laundry, new sheets on the bed.)

More Vannie regarding your digital de-cluttering. Did you transfer a lot of photos/videos from your phone to an external drive? I took a lot of videos this year and I know I need to deal with storing them somewhere.

Alison - I laughed hard at your comment about hot flashes making you finally appreciate cold weather. So true. They hit different in my late 40s and 50s. I don't have flashes anymore, just generally run hot. No relief in sight yet and I'm in my 60s!

Pratima - Thinking of you and your tough year too.

I miss Runningirl and Kelly!

Me - Run, row, run, row, run, row with a few mobility and yoga workouts thrown in. I haven't figured out how to fit in and arrange all the runs, rows, walks and other training I want to do yet. The trouble is, I want to do it all every single day.
Running - recently I've been running 4 mornings per week, usually 3 runs of 3-4 mile runs and 1 longer run of 6-7 miles. The rowing is definitely making me a stronger runner.
Rowing - Most of Hydrow's are either on Charles River in Boston, or on indian Creek/Miami Bay in Miami. But there are also LOTS of rows where the athletes filmed in Vermont, New Hampshire, Hartford, Chattanooga, Scotland, London, etc. I'm still discovering them. Today I found a warm-up row they did in the San Francisco Bay last year that was great. Also this morning, I switched my data display from showing my current speed to a display that shows my current wattage. That was SUPER helpful in quickly pinpointing how to improve my technique. I'm also enjoying Hydrow's mobility workouts and the newly-added option of yoga. The mobility and yoga workouts I've tried are perfect for addressing the places you get tight from rowing. (Hips, spine, shoulders.) So nice.

Other - I have my first grandpet. Jamie adopted a kitten. She's very outgoing, playful and affectionate. (And warm and the purring, oh my!)
Breast Cancer Survivor