Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-20, 01:15 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H View Post
All of you that have quilted, have you ever made a rag quilt? I've never quilted, but I would like to make one. I love the look of them!
i had to look that up - those are adorable.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 01:21 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Ok, so this is getting even more off-topic, but I'm interested in having a t-shirt quilt made at some point in the next couple years. But I want it kind of custom and am admittedly kind of picky and would want to be able to give my input on fabrics, etc. I'm not thrilled for instance with most of the t-shirt quilts I see advertised on etsy so far and can't understand how (relatively) low some of the pricing seems. Shouldn't it cost at least $1,000 or more to properly compensate the person doing the sewing/quilting depending on how much work is involved?

And where is the best place get into contact with someone locally about doing a custom quilt or blanket using t-shirts and other fabrics? Do I just look for quilting groups in my area or would they be offended at the thought of doing a t-shirt type blanket/quilt? Or do I try to find a small local shop that sells quilting supplies and ask if they know anyone who takes on projects?

I already knit and do not enjoy sewing. Plus I have very little sewing skills to speak of so I definitely want to pay someone who is already skilled and who has all the knowledge, experience, and tools to make the quilt/blanket. I just don't know how best to go about it. Is this an impossible dream? Is etsy the only option?
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 02:20 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
Do I just look for quilting groups in my area or would they be offended at the thought of doing a t-shirt type blanket/quilt? Or do I try to find a small local shop that sells quilting supplies and ask if they know anyone who takes on projects?

I already knit and do not enjoy sewing.
i think that's a start - contacting a local quilting group. the fabric store in our city has a bulletin board where sewists leave their business cards - you could check in a place like that.

i'm the opposite - i love sewing and always wanted to become a knitter! i can knit but i go so slow and get impatient! i tried doing a simple Barbie tube dress and i couldn't get it done! i can crochet.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 12-18-20, 08:02 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
All of you that have quilted, have you ever made a rag quilt? I've never quilted, but I would like to make one. I love the look of them!
If you do one, buy the special scissors made for this. It is very hard on the hands, especially if you have any tendency towards arthritis.
Old 12-18-20, 12:10 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i had to look that up - those are adorable.
Yes, I think so, too. I've seen a baby rag quilt that I loved. They're supposed to be easy to make. I have the fabric to do one and after the holidays, I need to set aside the time to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
If you do one, buy the special scissors made for this. It is very hard on the hands, especially if you have any tendency towards arthritis.
Thanks, I didn't know they made special scissors for them. I'll have to look them up.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 01:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
Quote:
Yes, I think so, too. I've seen a baby rag quilt that I loved. They're supposed to be easy to make. I have the fabric to do one and after the holidays, I need to set aside the time to do it.

Thanks, I didn't know they made special scissors for them. I'll have to look them up.
i now want one of these scissors! as i get older, ahem, i started looking into exercise routines to strengthen my hand grip. i'm finding opening jars to be a hassle. and cutting fabric can be fatiguing.

back on-topic:
found this good hand-grip strengthening article:
https://www.builtlean.com/grip-strength-exercises/

Old 12-18-20, 02:29 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
i think that's a start - contacting a local quilting group. the fabric store in our city has a bulletin board where sewists leave their business cards - you could check in a place like that.

i'm the opposite - i love sewing and always wanted to become a knitter! i can knit but i go so slow and get impatient! i tried doing a simple Barbie tube dress and i couldn't get it done! i can crochet.
Thanks Jeannine. Hopefully once COVID abates (with vaccines, etc.) in the next year or two, I will begin my search.

I'm terrible at crochet but I can do some very basic crochet that I've taught myself in the past year out of necessity. I'm a somewhat slow knitter but for some reason I have tons of patience for knitting but not for anything sewing-related. I did make some basic little curtains once with fabric and blackout material for our basement window well windows (followed a blog tutorial). And one or two other projects. But it was not a fun experience.

I occasionally have to sew buttons onto my knitting and I'm barely competent at that! I love picking out buttons but not attaching them.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 11:03 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Quote:
i now want one of these scissors! as i get older, ahem, i started looking into exercise routines to strengthen my hand grip. i'm finding opening jars to be a hassle. and cutting fabric can be fatiguing.

back on-topic:
found this good hand-grip strengthening article:
https://www.builtlean.com/grip-strength-exercises/
Thanks for the link. I really need to make that a priority. I've never had a strong grip.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote