Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-20, 11:57 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

my SIL is really into quilting and she's highly skilled. she even belongs to a quilting group - they get together and sew. she brings her 3/4 size Janome Gem with her to these meetings. over the years, she has evolved into doing small craft projects - when you think about it, there's only so many quilts that you can make for you and your family unless you're commissioned to do one.

Machine Dealers:
when i was growing up, my mom raised us on Singers - she had this green electric one with the cams and a separate zig zag attachment. 2 more Singer upgrades later, she converted to New Home/Janome only because there's a dealer in town, something that has also become extinct - sewing machine dealers. and believe me, the few ones in town are very aggressive! it's like walking into a car dealership expecting to browse. not gonna happen.

the bottom line is that many of the brands are really good, and if there's a good servicer in your town, then you'll end up going with that brand.

Higher End machines:
the machines you see in Costco and Walmart are generally starter machines. hence my comment about going with that for 5 years, and then evaluate whether you want to escalate to the $5000 machines. there's this huge gap between basic machines and then the higher-end ones. i see many computerized high-end quilting machines on Craiglist, but it never tempted me only because my goals are satisfied with basic machines.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 12:47 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
... over the years, she has evolved into doing small craft projects - when you think about it, there's only so many quilts that you can make for you and your family unless you're commissioned to do one.
This is where I am. I like the idea of doing larger quilts, I think it's really interesting and entertaining.

I could piece quilt tops just about forever, but dealing with backing and sandwiching the layers together, then quilting those without making a mess? Harder than it needs to be on a small machine.

I think I'm going to stick to experimenting with blocks that interest me, then turning those into totes. Doable, and won't break the bank.

Quote:
... and believe me, the few ones in town are very aggressive! it's like walking into a car dealership expecting to browse. not gonna happen.
Thank you for saying this! I couldn't figure out why I was having SO much trouble every time I went in a shop. Sales pressure was there from the moment you walk through the door, and I HATE that. Ugh. If only they'd realize that pressuring people distracts them from enjoying the goodies. If they'd let people relax and play, I'd bet they'd have even more customers.
Old 12-12-20, 12:51 PM  
sillygirl

Quote:
that website, like VF can be detrimental to your wallet!!! i am also a member there - you can get a free account.

after having joined sewingpatternreview.com, i found myself owning more machines!
+1! Between VF and PR, I've accumulated over a 100 workout DVDs, use several fitness streaming sites, have a nice collection of fitness equipment, and more sewing machines than I have time to enjoy.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-20, 08:52 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I have two Pfaffs, one Janome, and one Brother serger. The Janome is pretty simple and I use it as my travel machine (to classes, etc.) I highly recommend Pfaff is you're looking to upgrade some but don't need anything as complicated as a Bernina.
Old 12-14-20, 09:26 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I guess I am the only one still making quilt tops on a 1908-vintage Singer treadle machine. One that won’t go in reverse, at that. I love that bad boy, though. It clanks and it clunks and it makes all kinds of interesting noises, but it gets the job done. It does exactly what I tell it to and I can stop on a dime. And it is beautiful and has personality. My newer, fancier machine is easier in many ways, but it just doesn't have the same connection with the past and to me that is what quilts are all about.

Seriously, I’m with BunnyHop, perhaps in part due to using my relic Singer for so many years. I love piecing tops, the rest not so much.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-20, 10:20 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherDeb View Post
I guess I am the only one still making quilt tops on a 1908-vintage Singer treadle machine. ...
Oh!! Serious envy going on here. I hear those ancient machines are just wonderful.

Anybody else wonder what the world would be like if manufacturers simply let themselves built solid machinery that lasts and never moved away from that business model? Build one or two, not forty different models available for a hundred different prices at a thousand different retailers? These lightweight machines are going to wind up in a landfill someday, and that strikes me as such a waste. Plus, replacement parts and service would never be a problem.

Still mourning the loss of my old Viking that needs a replacement part that's probably not available.
Old 12-15-20, 11:07 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

This quilt-theme ties into ironing boards. I have an old ironing board that I got decades ago at a garage or estate sale. I absolutely love it. It is heavy enough to handle those quilt tops without feeling like it’s going to topple. The problem is that it is getting harder and harder to find covers for it and it’s getting more than a bit rusty. I could make my own cover if push came to shove, but I have better ways to spend my sewing time.

No real question here, just an observation.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-20, 11:36 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
it’s getting more than a bit rusty. I could make my own cover if push came to shove, but I have better ways to spend my sewing time.
at first i thought you were going to say you had one of those wooden ones! then i'd be jealous!

my mom always bought the "grey/silver" covers but padded it underneath with old, large towels. then she took a large curved upholstery needle and whip-stitched underneath rather than rely on the drawstring that the cover came with. it didn't take too long and the cover stayed on forever.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-20, 01:21 AM  
schoolgirl-01

Quote:
I could make my own cover if push came to shove, but I have better ways to spend my sewing time.

No real question here, just an observation.
_____
YADeb

i made a cover for mine from this kit by steady betty. i love it because it's foam that grips the fabric and it doesn't distort when pressing. here's a link to the kit https://www.steadybetty.com/products/kit
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-20, 06:38 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

All of you that have quilted, have you ever made a rag quilt? I've never quilted, but I would like to make one. I love the look of them!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote