Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-20, 04:52 PM  
Stephanie_B

Semi OT moving overseas

I haven’t posted in a long time. Long story short, back injuries leading to two surgeries and years of injections the got diagnosed with RA and fibro...so working out is a rarity most of the time.

ANYWAY we’re moving to a warmer climate at our expense and downsizing house, like going from 5 bedrooms, 3 baths and double dining and living rooms to a 1000 sf 2 bedroom 2 bath...and going through 25 years of stuff is a huge undertaking emotionally and physically. And of course my 3 kiddos are adults now so living on their own except the youngest who will be when we leave.

But, that’s not my question (although for those that have done it share any tips or stories you have with me please so I won’t feel so freaked out).

I have listed my big pieces of equipment on NextDoor and Facebook for sale, not looking for huge money but just because I don’t want to ship.

The issue is I have (and yea I still buy) 300 plus DVDs and some old VHS. I’ll on be taking about 50-100 with me.

What do I do with the rest? My husband says EBay is going to be a nightmare and I agree with how our post office is of late. OTOH I’ve got lots of prized stuff and lots of so so stuff.

I’m also toying with asking my daughter to keep them at their house and sell the, and she can keep like half the profits or something, but she works full time, goes to college her last year full time, and is a stepmom to the cutest 4 year old little girl in the universe so I don’t want to burden her either as she’s already taking family photos and old cards, letters, etc and scrap booking them AND sending them to the cloud for me so there are with us, but not physically,

Ideas? Thoughts?

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 05:07 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Hi, Stephanie. Good to "see" you! Sorry to hear about your health issues, but a new home in a warmer climate sounds exciting. I've got a big box of DVDs that I just don't want to deal with listing anywhere and shipping. I call it my Goodwill box, but I don't want to bring them there. I should donate them to a local library. That way I might be helping someone else become a vidiot and start - or continue - down the road to a fitter, more healthy lifestyle. Maybe that's an option for you?

Enjoy your new home and warmer climate!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 05:22 PM  
Stephanie_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Hi, Stephanie. Good to "see" you! Sorry to hear about your health issues, but a new home in a warmer climate sounds exciting. I've got a big box of DVDs that I just don't want to deal with listing anywhere and shipping. I call it my Goodwill box, but I don't want to bring them there. I should donate them to a local library. That way I might be helping someone else become a vidiot and start - or continue - down the road to a fitter, more healthy lifestyle. Maybe that's an option for you?

Enjoy your new home and warmer climate!
I’m thinking I might end up doing that in the end anyway or half priced books then at least my kids can use the credits.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 05:41 PM  
dnna

I tried to donate mine to our library and she would only take a few yoga dvd. She said I could put them in the basement and they would sell them for 50 cents. so I took them home. I just could not let my Cathe go for 50 cents.
it is hard to do share the wealth or trades when you are moving or in my case not moving well and dealing with a lot of drama. so storage container? mine are in boxes in the garage, so I am no help!!!
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 05:46 PM  
kat999

Honestly, libraries and Goodwill may really not be able to do much with them, and if you want at least a LITTLE cash for them, whether you split that with your daughter or just let her keep the profits, a piecemeal Amazon, Ebay, or Facebook marketplace sale may be the best route. If it feels like a pain to ship, you could get storage near your daughter and deal with it on a visit. But it sounds like she's slammed herself.

I'm currently trying to collect a lot of really random workouts, and I've joined several Facebook video fitness groups in addition to being active here. I know, for example, that the FIRM group I'm in gets a lot of traction whenever someone has an item for sale. Maybe depending on what the items are you could consider joining groups specific to that brand/instructor and see if you get any bites?
Old 12-05-20, 07:22 PM  
BunnyHop

Libraries in my area aren't taking donations right now.

I'd say to give the dvds to your daughter, with a plan to sell them. If they sit there a while, what's the harm? The rare ones won't get LESS valuable.
Old 12-05-20, 07:29 PM  
fanofladyvols

Maybe a reseller like roleez would buy a large bulk of them?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 07:38 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Maybe a reseller like roleez would buy a large bulk of them?
I was going to suggest Roleez . She has an online store and sells on eBay.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 07:58 AM  
jackie7

VF Roost
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 08:19 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Just remembered there's someone here who has an eBay DVD store - Beauty and the Beast. A few years ago I was going to sell my entire lot to her. You might want to look her up and contact her. Roleez.

ETA - Note: It looks like she hasn't posted here since 4/2019. Also, I followed the link to her website in her profile and ummmm it now goes to an Asian sex site. Maybe just send her a PM if you choose to. Or maybe she's not in the business anymore and someone else bought her URL.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downsizing, moving