Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-18, 09:39 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Kate - WOOHOO!!! Great job on finishing 80 Day Obsession! You did awesome! It also grew on me and became a challenge to finish, it is a tough but do-able program! I'm also not quite sure what I'm going to do when I finish LIIFT4 this week. I have some races planned with the last one being on 11/10/18. I may just alternate a Cathe Total Body Weight workout with some run/walking until after the last race. I contemplated doing FitSplit but I think more weight work would be better with the run/walking. I'll probably do another round of 80DO in November or December. And I will probably never like Cardio Flow. I hope you enjoy your vacation next week!

pharma_gal - I really think there is enough "functional" upper body work built into the 80DO program to make up for it not having a dedicated upper body workout per week. Total Body Core and AAA both had upper body exercises plus all the planks and pushups that you do in the other workouts keep the upper body working even when you don't think it's working!

ETA: Yesterday I ran/walked 2.5 miles on my treadmill. This morning I did the last leg workout of LIIFT4. I liked the sequencing of the series of exercises much better this week. I didn't have to pause at all and was dripping sweat by the end!

Week 8 - Workout #30 – Legs LIIFT 50/50 – 40 Minutes

The format is weights for about 50% and HIIT & Abs for about 50%. The weight portion was alternating leg exercises for 10 reps/three sets. They used dumbbells and Joel suggested going as heavy as you can for 10 reps.

Weights:
Series 1:
Alternating Side Lunge w/two dumbbells – 10 reps
Pulsing Squat w/one dumbbell – 10 reps
Hip Bridge w/two dumbbells – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

Series 2:
Front Loaded Squat – 10 reps
Dead Lift – 10 reps
Calf Raise (straight, angled in, angled out) – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

Series 3:
Sumo Squat with single dumbbell – 10 reps
Single Leg Back lunge - left – 10 reps
Single Leg Back lunge - right– 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

HIIT:
Sumo Jump – modification was sumo squat up onto toes (30 seconds)
Rest 15 seconds
Triple Bear Hop – right, center, left, center – modification was step not hop (30 seconds)
Rest 15 seconds
Catcher Squat w/jump (Squat, jump back, jump back into squat, hold, jump up – modification was step back, no jump, come up onto toes) – (30 seconds)
*Repeat 3 times

Abs – 30 seconds each:
Flutter Kicks – on back, hands under hips – crunch up, flutter straight legs (modification was to bend knees and no crunch up)
Plank on Hands and alternate lifting legs – modification was static plank on hands
*Repeat 3 times
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-18, 04:47 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
For those that did the 80 day program, do you think there is enough upper body work? Thanks!
Plenty! I worried about that too, but if you use heavy enough weights, you will be challenged. Not to mention there is a lot of upper body work with the core work as you will be in plank position. I did 80DO right after a Cathe STS rotation and I did not lose any strength.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-18, 10:26 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Yay, only one LIIFT4 workout left! I like the combination of shoulders & arms in the Shred Phase. It gives a good burn and because it's fast moving, my heart rate was elevated too. I plan to finish up the program tomorrow and do the final Full Body HIIT workout. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Week 8 - Workout #31 – Shoulders & Arms Circuit – 35 Minutes

The format for this workout is alternating a shoulder and a bicep or tricep exercise for 10 reps repeated for (3) rounds. They used dumbbells and Joel suggested going as heavy as you can for 10 reps.

Series 1:
Shoulder Press (Goal Post) – 10 reps
Hammer Curls – 10 reps
Upright Row – 10 reps
Scull Crushers – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

Series 2:
Front Raise – 10 reps
W Curl – 10 reps
Side Raise – 10 reps
Tricep Kickbacks – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

Burnout (30 seconds):
Swimmers (side raise, rotate into front raise, lower, then reverse) – 10 reps
Bicep Curls
Tricep Pushups (modification was on knees)
*Repeat 3 times

Abs – 30 seconds each:
Crunch Up – Reach side to side toward toes (modification was shorter reach to heels)
Dumbbell extensions – hold dumbbell above head, crunch up toward toes w/straight legs, then lower (modification was bent knees, no weight)
*Repeat 3 times
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 09-28-18, 09:44 PM  
Loriann

KateTT - I am late to the party but Congratulations on finishing! Woo-hoo! I am glad you grew to like it as much as we did.

Kathy- Congrats on finishing Liift4 tomorrow!! I am going to start it next week. I am not sure I will enjoy it as much as 80DO. Thanks for all the breakdowns. They will be very helpful. I really like that you did an 11 mile walk/run on a rest day

Savvychica -I hope you feel better soon. It seems like I always catch something on the plane no matter how careful I am.

Pharma gal - my arms looked great during this program! As others have said, the planks, total body work including upper body and just holding heavy weights for the lower body gave my arms great definition.

To all of you - It was so much fun to follow your journeys through these programs! Thanks for being such an inspiration to us all!

Lori
Old 10-02-18, 10:57 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Loriann - Thanks! I hope you are enjoying LIIFT4! Please join us on the check in Kate posted a link to and let us know how you're doing with it.

Well, yay I finally did the last LIIFT4 workout this morning! Saturday: Rest - Sunday: Half Marathon - Monday: Cathe Live Push/Pull - Tuesday: LIIFT4 workout below.

Joel did some of the workout this morning with the backgrounders (all of them were there except Steve who was on vacation). He got sidetracked a few times (cleaning up a spilled water bottle, giving form pointers, etc.) but for the most part he tried to coach and do the workout, lol. At the end he said something about trying to do both being hard. I give kudos to Cathe and Autumn (80DO) for being able to do that and not be totally sucking wind! This week's Full Body HIIT was easier (cardio wise) than last week but still challenging.

Weight and measurement wise, I stayed about the same as at the end of 80DO. My eating hasn't changed and therefore no weight loss. But my upper body got more defined and leaner looking. I had a coworker comment on my "shoulders and guns" which I didn't really see, lol. And my upper body strength improved because I am lifting heavier now when I do Cathe Live workouts. My lower body is about the same so I didn't lose strength from 80DO even though there was less lower body weight work in LIIFT4.

Pros:
1) Only four days a week so you can add other workouts or steady state cardio.
2) Workouts range from 30-40 minutes so easy to fit in the morning.
3) Each workout packs a lot into the short period of time.
4) You work your abs every single workout.
5) You are able to safely progress to heavier weights.
6) Joel is GREAT at coaching and form pointers.

Cons:
1) Not enough lower body weight work, in my opinion. Will add more next time.
2) The backgrounders weren't always the same. Couldn't feel a connection to any of them like with 80DO (where they were always the same).
3) The exercise sequencing changed on the workouts but they were all essentially the same. Toward the end, I was craving more variety.

Week 8 - Workout #32 – Full Body HIIT – 32 Minutes

The format is HIIT followed by Abs (no weight work). There are three series of (2) exercises repeated (3) times with decreasing times. Followed by a burnout round which are all of the exercises for 30 seconds and then abs.

Series 1:
Soccerball Kicks (fast) – modification was slow down– (60 seconds)
Rest 20 seconds
Pushup/Twisting Mountain Climbers – modification was pushup on knees (45 seconds)
Rest 20 seconds
*Repeat 3 times

Series 2:
Sumo Squat Jump- modification was to take jump out and go up on toes – 45 seconds
Rest 15 seconds
Plyo Pushups – Wide/Tricep (modification was on knees) – 30 seconds
Rest 15 seconds
*Repeat 3 times

Series 3:
Single Leg Squat Jump switching legs @ 15 seconds – modification take out jump (30 seconds)
Rest 10 seconds
Pushup with a knee tuck (modification was pushup on knees/step the knee tuck in) – 15 seconds
Rest 10 seconds
*Repeat 3 times

Burnout (1x):
Soccerball Kicks (fast) – modification was slow down– (30 seconds)
Pushup/Twisting Mountain Climbers – modification was pushup on knees (30 seconds)
Sumo Squat Jump- modification was to take jump out and go up on toes – (30 seconds)
Plyo Pushups – Wide/Tricep (modification was on knees) – (30 seconds)
Single Leg Squat Jump switching legs @ 15 seconds – modification take out jump (30 seconds)
Pushup with a knee tuck (modification was pushup on knees/step the knee tuck in) – (30 seconds)

Abs – 30 seconds each:
Prayer crunches (hands together, crunch up and down not touching floor) – modification touch floor
Windshield Wipers (On back, legs straight, arms out to side, lower to 45 degrees) – modification bent knees
Plank on elbow - shift forward and back (modified to full plank with arms extended - on knees)
*Repeat 3 times
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 10-02-18, 12:02 PM  
savvychica4

Hi Ladies -

I posted my latest check-in over at the new spot, but just wanted to pop in to say congrats to KateTT for finishing her 80DO rotation and Kathy for finishing Lift4! It's always such a good feeling when you complete a rotation!

I'm two days into my Lift4 rotation and I already agree with your overall pros/cons, Kathy. I can definitely see that I will need to make some tweaks to the rotation--add on some additional workouts, maybe combine some of them, etc. because (at least after the first two workouts) I am not feeling "satisfied" from my workouts yet. LOL. I know 80DO started off slow for me too, so I'm going to stick things out for now. I'm hoping the workouts will pick up a little bit as the program goes on. I was disappointed though to see that each week you are pretty much doing the same exercises for the entire 8 weeks. I'm a little surprised Joel didn't want to switch things up more...but I may be speaking too soon. I'm sure there's a method to the madness. LOL. I'm just going to try to hold my horses and be patient.
savvychica4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-18, 05:52 PM  
savvychica4

Hi Ladies -

Not sure if anyone is still checking this thread or not....old habits die hard so I thought I'd post anyway. LOL. Today was supposed to be a "rest day" according to the Lift4 schedule, but I wasn't really ready for a rest day yet and hadn't picked out a non Lift4 workout to do so I decided to do this week's Leg Day. I'll be honest I'm struggling a little bit to get into the Lift4 workouts. They haven't been jiving with me this week. I was about halfway through today's workout when it hit me....I wasn't having fun. I do like Joel and I love the idea of the layout of these workouts, but right now they just aren't jiving with me for some reason. The workouts aren't bad, but this week they've been just leaving me feeling a bit "meh". I think I'm just wanting a little more right now. While I was hoping to stick it out a little longer in the hopes that I would eventually fall in love with the program the way I did with 80DO, after giving it more thought I've decided to table this program for now and switch back to something that will make me a little happier. I'll probably revisit this program later down the road, but for now I think I'm going to go back to revisiting Cathe workouts. I'm leaning on jumping into her October rotation tomorrow.

I definitely don't want to discourage anyone from trying Lift4. We all have our favorite workout styles, instructors, etc. and thank goodness there's never a shortage of new stuff to try out! And who knows the next time I may end up loving it! I hated Hammer and Chisel when it first came out, but after I completed 80DO I revisited some of the workouts and ended up liking some of them!

Hope everyone is having a good week!
savvychica4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 09:12 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

saavychica4 - Yep, I totally understand! You have to do what you enjoy or the dread will set in and you won't want to workout. I just saw Cathe's Oct 2018 rotation and it looks great! I saved it for future reference and even added the workout times, lol. Right now I'm just enjoying Cathe Live again. I like that there's several workouts I haven't tried yet. I did Cardio Fusion this morning and LOVED it! It went right into my favorites.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 10-04-18, 10:32 PM  
Loriann

KathyG,

Although I have only done the first week of Liift4, I think your pros and cons are spot on.

Savvychica,

I agree with everything you said so well in the above two posts - I too, enjoy working out and want to spend 45-60 minutes on my workout - these just seem too short, but because they have a little of everything it is hard to decide what to add on - day one I added a short Body Combat segment from LMOD and day two I added more back work. Yesterday, I just did both the leg and the shoulder workouts.

After doing 80DO and now a variation of Cathe's rock bottoms rotation, one leg workout/week doesn’t seem sufficient for me even with the Hiit of the other days. The pace of the lifting also makes it difficult for me to go really heavy and yet only 30 reps total at the weights I was using didn't challenge me on anything other than shoulder presses and w-curls. Finally, and more importantly, like you I did not find these workouts much fun.

I like Joel, and his form pointers are very good. The workouts went by very quickly. I think they would be great for someone with limited time or in conjunction with training for races as KathyG was doing. I may revisit them in December when time is always crunched. I think they would definitely help me maintain my fitness level during the mad crush of holiday season! Right now I will go back to Cathe, LMOD and a few others.

Thanks to you both for sharing your experiences!
Lori
Old 10-05-18, 06:11 AM  
Rhonda

I am enjoying Liift4 as the time is perfect for me in the morning. If I get done with the workout and still have some time then I will add on a short walk of 10 minutes or something.

I want to try 80DO but the workouts unfortunately are too long. If they were in the 45 minute range I could make myself get up without hitting the snooze button and do them. My alarm goes off at 3:50a and usually will hit the snooze once and up by 4am. But I need to be back upstairs to get ready by 4:45a otherwise I run late. So I possibly could squeeze in 80DO.

Is it worth getting up without hitting my snooze button?
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
80 day obsession, bbod 80 day obsession, bod, clam, eccentric weight training, joel freeman, liift4, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal