Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-18, 12:02 PM  
savvychica4

Hi Ladies!

Last week was super busy and this weekend has been nonstop as well, but I was dying to stop in and check in with everyone!

KateTT - So glad to hear that you are loving the new bands. I saved them on my amazon wishlist in case I want to buy a set the next time I go through 80DO. Having nice strong bands do really make a difference! As for your question regarding DOMs and working the same body parts -- I remember feeling really sore and beat up (in a good way) after making it through Phase 2. Phase 2 is no joke and you are right, you do end up working some of the same muscle groups A LOT by the end of each week. I think the next time I do 80DO I will incorporate active recovery weeks like Cathe has in STS in between each of the phases. I suppose another solution could be to add in another day or two of active recovery into each week. You could still hit all 80 workouts this way, but it would just take a little longer.

I never did get around to trying the free spotify playlist. I kept telling myself I would. Even went as far as downloading spotify on my ipad, lol. Funny thing is, once I got a couple of weeks into the program I didn't really miss not having music playing in the background. It was so strange because normally I have felt that good music can really help push you through a tough workout. I think because Autumn and the cast are chatting a lot in the workouts, I didn't even really notice the lack of music after a couple of weeks. Let us know if you give the spotify playlist a try!

Kathy - Your posts about Lift4 are getting me so excited to try that program. I'm soooo tempted to bite the bullet and pay for early access but now that August is officially here I keep telling myself that in two months it'll be available for everyone on BOD and to just be patient. I think the shorter workouts will be great for me during the busy holiday season this fall/winter. Just need to continue biding my time.

I'm also SOOOOOO jealous that you got to go on the Cathe RT. That is on my bucket list for sure! One of these years I will bite the bullet. Cathe is one of my absolute favorite instructors. It would be a dream come true to meet her in person one day.

Loriann - so glad to hear that you revisted Fit Splits and enjoyed it. I finished my third week of it yesterday, but now I think I'm ready to switch things up. Like you, I really need to find another rotation to dive into....gotta keep myself busy until October when Lift4 is available. LOL. 80DO has spoiled me because it has 80 different workouts, so I feel like my workout ADD is even worse now!

And so jealous you've gotten to do a Cathe Live in person...hoping to do that one of these days as well. I just never have a reason to go to NJ, so if I do it it'll be solely to visit Cathe's gym. Wish my work would send me there for something. LOL.

Alright time for me to get off here and get my workout in. After 3 weeks of Fit Split I'm ready for something new. I'm probably going to focus this week on trying out some of the Cathe Lives that I missed from earlier this year. It's so hard not having a set rotation to follow, but it can be fun at the same time.

Have a great week ladies! Hoping this week will be a little less crazy so I can check in more during the week.
savvychica4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-18, 09:47 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

hch - Yep, tagging is good! I like it when threads have lots of tags because they come up in searches where they might not usually come up!

savvychica4 - I think I've just become conditioned to listen to music during workouts, lol. It's like "white noise" to me but I miss it if it's too quiet! I think it's close enough to Oct now to just wait it out for LIIFT4. If I wasn't trying to train for other events, I would have waited it out too! I like the shorter workouts, it's a nice break from 80DO (but strangely enough, I'm starting to miss it already!) Cathe is just as nice and genuine in real life as she is on Cathe Live. I think that's what I like about her the most!

Saturday was a rest day. Sunday I ran/walked 5 miles on my treadmill.

Today was the start of Week 2. I like the setup of this program. Joel made it so every other week you are doing an all weight workout (with abs) for chest/triceps or back/biceps in the first phase. My chest and triceps were toast at the end of this one!

There's a lot packed into a short amount of time. The weights section has 240 reps total before the burnout but it doesn't seem like that many!

Week 2 - Workout #5 – Chest / Triceps Circuit – 39 Minutes

The format is for this workout is (4) exercises per superset for 10 reps repeated for (3) rounds. It alternates a chest exercise with a tricep exercise. They used dumbbells and Joel suggested going as heavy as you can for 10 reps.

Series 1:
Decline Chest Press (floor with glute bridge) – 10 reps
Skull Crusher – 10 reps
Rotating Chest Press – 10 reps
Single Side Crusher – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

Series 2:
Chest Press – 10 reps
Close Grip Tricep Press – 10 reps
Chest Fly – 10 reps
Tricep Kickbacks – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

Burnout Round:
Wide Arm Pushup – (30 seconds)
Tricep Pushup – (30 seconds)
*Repeat 3 times

Abs – 30 seconds each:
Crunch Up w/one dumbbell above chest (hold) and do Flutter Kicks
Side to side knee drops (On back, bend knees, arms out to side, lower knees to 45 degrees)
*Repeat 3 times
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-18, 09:13 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Week 2 HIIT was a little harder than week 1 so it must be a progression. I like the setup LIIFT 50/50 the best because you hit everything in less than 40 minutes.

Week 2 - Workout #6 – Back / Biceps LIIFT 50/50 – 36 Minutes

The format is weights for 50% and HIIT & Abs for 50%. The three weight series exercises were divided into: back - back & bicep - bicep for 10 reps/three sets. They used dumbbells and Joel suggested going as heavy as you can for 10 reps.

Weights:
Series 1:
Traditional Double Arm Row – 10 reps
Reverse Fly – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

Series 2:
Wide Double Arm Row – 10 reps
Hammer Curls – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

Series 3:
Bicep Curl – 10 reps
W Curl – 10 reps
*Repeat 3 times

HIIT:
Single Leg Squat Jump switching legs @ 30 seconds – modification take out jump (60 seconds)
Rest 15 seconds
Twisting Mountain Climbers (45 seconds)
Rest 15 seconds
180 Degree Jump Right – Left - modification was squat only - (30 seconds)
*Repeat 3 times

Abs – 30 seconds each:
Crunch Up – Reach side to side toward toes (modification was shorter reach to heels)
Full Plank – Arms Extended Alternate Touching Shoulders (modification was on knees)
*Repeat 3 times
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 08-07-18, 01:54 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Ladies!!! Where has the time gone!

Kathy: I will definitely be doing LIFT eventually. I haven't decided totally what I'll do after 80DO. Probably a lot of my untried DVDs that are crying to me. LOL
Do you think it would be easy to add on two LIFT workouts together? Also thinking of adding on something else. Got lots of time to decide.

HCH: I LOVE your Velveteen Rabbit quote! One of my favorite stories!
As much as I do for work with tags and such, I always forget to add tags to my posts.

Saavy: Yes, more 'beat up' in Phase 2. That's a good way to put it. But not bad beatup.
How about making up your own rotation with the Cathe Live? I put all my workouts on a calendar a month ahead so I can kind of plan things out. It's just easier since 80DO is mapped out for you.

This week is my last week of Phase 2!!! I can hardly believe it! I really enjoyed this Phase.

Mon: Phase 2 Day 47 Total Body Core. I think I am about done with that one. I really dogged it. Maybe because it was Monday and I was very busy outside over the weekend doing yard work.

I'm still doing some Yoga over lunch too. Udaya updated their site and there are new practices to dig into.

Today was Phase 2 Day 48 Legs. It was a bit odd to go lighter, but I did a little as Autumn said. But since it was also only 40 mins, I ran through each set of exercises again ONE time through without weights. That was pretty good! I liked the Plyo bonus at the end too.

Notes on P2. Booty kills my butt and legs more than Legs day does.
AAA has been my favorite workout in P2.
I don't like to do Cardio Flow until I actually start doing it.
I really like the slider core work.

Have a great day!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-18, 05:46 PM  
savvychica4

Hi Ladies!

Kathy: So glad you are still liking the Lift4 workouts. I'm really excited to give them a try this fall. The 4-day a week thing will be weird as I like to work out 6 days a week, so I'll have to find some less intense workouts for the other two days of the week. It's also going to be hard going down to 30 minute workouts after doing the hour long workouts of 80DO for so long and even now most of the Cathe stuff I'm doing is 50-60 minutes long. I did do JNL Fusion which are 30 min workouts (it was my first time doing a rotation of shorter workouts) and I loved it so I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly if the workouts are good. :-)

KateTT: I can't believe you are to the last week of Phase 2 already. I feel like your rotation is flying by, but that's probably because I'm not the one doing it! HAHA. I feel exactly the same way about Cardio Flow. Every time I would start that workout I would complain to myself, but once I get going I get into a good groove. By the end of the workout I'm so happy that I did it!

And funny that you suggested doing a Cathe Live rotation KateTT because that's exactly what I've been doing this week. I haven't taken the time to sit down and really map things out but I know the body parts/types of workouts I want to hit each week so I've been picking them out as I go. I only took about a 6 month hiatus from Cathe Live, but I feel like there are just so many that I haven't tried yet. A woman on here did a Cathe Live Summer challenge so I've been reading her descriptions of the workouts as well as the Cathe Live thread. It's nice being able to read some of the reviews before choosing a workout.

One thing I love about Cathe live is how she incorporates blasts into so many of the workouts -- so I'm still getting some cardio even on days that are more strength based. For instance today I did Lower Body Confusion. This workout included just about everything -- weights, bands, barre, and BLASTS. Got a great calorie burn from this workout. The only thing I miss with Cathe Live is heavy weight work. With the Live workouts she's not able to go really heavy with her weights for the strength based workouts because it's a live group exercise class (which totally makes sense). I know when she first launched Live she talked about the possibility of including some 1 on 1 classes. That hasn't come to fruition yet, but that would be a great place where she could do some heavier weight workouts. I'm still holding out that she will include something like that in her offerings in the future. Granted I know I can go heavier with my weights during the Live workouts, but it's hard to keep up when they are going faster since they are using smaller weights. I know I don't have to match their speed perfectly, but it's still not ideal. Oh well--just means I'll have to sprinkle in some of her heavier weight workouts from her video/dvd library. Right now I am enjoying all the fun metabolic workouts in her Live library.

Happy Wednesday ladies! We are over halfway through the week!
Old 08-08-18, 10:46 PM  
Loriann

KateTT - congratulations on finishing Phase 2! Your bands look tough! Adding a round without weights is a great idea. I will have to try to remember that for my next round. As to the Cathe Live.....yes you can see me a few times. I am in Step Blasts and Weights on April 6, 2017. I feel like I look so big!! I am compared to Cathe. It was fun to meet some of the other girls that day. Ann, who was next to me, was really sweet. I had worked out with Kelly Coffey Meyer the day before so it was pretty much my exercise bucket list all at once!

Kathy - I really appreciate your descriptions of each workout from Liift4. I like how he changes the focus and pattern as well as the exercises each week. I am looking forward to trying this program.

Savvychica - I had a lot of fun catching up on all my Cathe Lives after a I finished 80DO. One of the things that surprised me is that I miss is having a rotation. I have been alternating workouts so I hit all the body parts at least once each week along with cardio and core, but I have so many choices I sometimes struggle deciding which one to do. This week I have been combining KBKB scorcher series workouts with KCM Build and Burn workouts which has actually been a pretty good combo. Not one I could do for long though as Dasha never shuts up! Autumn talked all through the 80DO workouts too, but it didn’t bother me for some reason.

Enjoy your week everyone!
Lori
Old 08-09-18, 08:54 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Kate - I think you could do two LIIFT4 workouts together but you probably wouldn't be able to go as heavy because fatigue would set in. I think doing a LIIFT4 and a short steady state cardio and/or ab workout would be the best. Just my opinion though, you might try doubling up and see what works for you!

Savvychica4 - I agree, it's been an adjustment going down to a 30-40 minute workout again. But this week it's come in handy due some things happening at home that needed my attention. I'm actually starting to miss all the leg work from 80DO! I feel like my lower body is going to go back to mush, lol. I know it's just a mindset thing. I too hope that Cathe one day does some of the One on One stuff she talked about when they launched Cathe Live. I'd LOVE to see a whole program from her (like what BOD is doing).

Lori - NP, I am one of those "document" stuff type of people, lol. I do it for a living too...go figure, lol! I too like how Joel is changing up the order of the exercises or emphasis. It's keeping it interesting and now that the HIIT is a little harder, it's better.

Week 2 - Workout #7 – Shoulders LIIFT Intervals – 32 Minutes

The format for this workout is (2) exercises for 10 reps - followed by a HIIT move for 30 seconds - repeated for (3) rounds. They used dumbbells and Joel suggested going as heavy as you can for 10 reps.

Series 1:
Side Raise – 10 reps
Shoulder Press (Goal Post) – 10 reps
Soccer Ball Kicks – HIIT
*Repeat 3 times

Series 2:
Front Raise – 10 reps
Upright Row – 10 reps
Catcher Squat (Squat, jump back, jump back into squat, hold – modification is step back) - HIIT
*Repeat 3 times

Series 3:
“Y” Front Raise – 10 reps
Shoulder Chest Press – (Pec Deck- light weights) – 10 reps
Plyo Jumps (modification squat, lift up, come up on to toes) – HIIT
*Repeat 3 times

Abs – 30 seconds each:
Sit up – twist – alternating knee in (modification was not to come up to full sit up)
Rope Climb with legs straight in air (or modified with bent knees)
*Repeat 3 times

Bonus! Extra set of Sit up - Twist
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 08-09-18, 01:54 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Saavy: here is a link to a great blog - and maybe you already know about this? She doesn't have many of the newest Lives, but there are quite a few. I used these reviews to decide what I wanted to do (all of them!).
I also think you could easily go heavier on many of Cathe's weight workouts. I did. ;-)

https://2lazy4gym.com/cathe-live/

Lori: Wow and you got to workout with KCM too!! Isn't that so exciting? And I know it was fun! Don't worry how you looked! You got a great opportunity and exercise with Cathe herself! Woo!!

Kathy: More great workouts!! They sound great!
Yes I think I will mix LIFT and add something else. And thank you again for your posts! They are fun and informative. And rather enabling, in a good way. LOL

So I got the end of the end of Phase 2 blahs/boredom and did a little mixing/matching.
Yesterday I did half of Phase 2 Day 49 AAA and then the strength work from KCM's 30MTF Meltdown. New DVD burning a hole in my pocket. That was a very metabolic workout! Whew!

Lunchtime Yoga: Udaya/Rudy/Blending & Mending

Today was Phase 2 Day 50 Cardio Flow and then I added on a short mix of LMOD Body Step 104. The step workout was a blast but was harder I think because I did the CF workout first. SWEATY MESS!

Yoga: Udaya/Vytas/Find Your Practice Stretch 1. Ahhhhh.

Tomorrow I will just throw in another untried DVD since I'm at the END OF PHASE 2!!!
Now to go back in this thread and read about Phase 3.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 10:47 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Kate - Lol, glad to enable (I've been enabled numerous times on VF too!) Nice mix-up, I hear you on needing a little change by the end of the phase! I'm looking forward to catching up on some Les Mills On Demand in a few months.

Loriann - I felt like the Jolly Green Giant or King Kong next to Cathe, lol!

So the leg workout this week didn't have weights and was just HIIT. Not sure I like that aspect, I feel like we should be lifting weights for lower body! Next time I do this program, I'll probably add a 80DO phase 1 leg workout to the week (for some lower body weights). Since I'm run/walking a lot this weekend, I'll probably be happy about this later!

This is kind of a repetitive workout but it's short so by the time you're getting bored with it....it's over, lol!

Week 2 - Workout #8 – Legs HIIT – 28 Minutes

The format is HIIT followed by Abs (no weights). There are (4) exercises repeated (3) times with 15 second breaks then repeated for 30 seconds each two times through with no breaks as the burnout.

HIIT:
High Knee Run – modification was high knee march (60 seconds)
Rest 15 seconds
Bear Hop – right, center, left – modification was step not hop (45 seconds)
Rest 15 seconds
Catcher Squat w/jump (Squat, jump back, jump back into squat, hold, jump up – 30 seconds)
Alternating Jump Lunges – 15 seconds
*Repeat 3 times

Burnout:
High Knee Run – modification was high knee march (30 seconds)
Bear Hop – right, center, left – modification was step not hop (30 seconds)
Catcher Squat w/jump (Squat, jump back, jump back into squat, hold, jump up – 30 seconds)
Alternating Jump Lunges – 30 seconds
*Repeat once

Abs – 30 seconds each:
Side to side knee drops (On back, bend knees, arms out to side, lower knees to 45 degrees)
Straight Leg drop w/ hip lift at the top – hands under hips, lower legs, lift up with hip lift (modification was bent knees)
*Repeat 3 times
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 08-11-18, 01:38 PM  
savvychica4

Happy Saturday Ladies!!!

Loriann - I know exactly what you mean about struggling sometimes choosing which workout to do when you aren't following a specific rotation. Having so many options can be both a blessing and a curse, haha. I'm having fun the spontaneity of choosing a workout each day and like you I'm just trying to make sure I hit all the major body parts each week. I figure when October comes and I give Lift4 a shot, I'll be back to following a stricter rotation so I'm going to enjoy having the flexibility to do whatever I want for now! And I'm so jealous that you got to workout with KCM and Cathe!!! One of the these days I've got to make a trip up to their neck of the woods.

Kathy - I've been reading up reviews on Lift4 and you aren't the first person that has mentioned that they feel the lower body isn't getting worked as much as they would like with those workouts. I follow Autumn's sister on social media and I know she was even adding an 80DO Booty workout to each week when she first started Lift4. I think I will do the same when I start the rotation in October. I guess coming out of 80DO we have all gotten used to working our lower body multiple times a week that it's hard to move away from that! haha.

KateTT - Thanks for the reminder about Jen's blog. I've been in check in groups on the Cathe forums with her in the past (super sweet woman) and had completely forgotten that she did Cathe Live for awhile. Her blog is such a good reference for reviews on workouts because she's always trying something new (or revisiting old workouts that I had forgotten about). Oh and congrats on finishing Phase 2!!!! *happy dance*

So the one thing that is both good/bad about not following a strict rotation (as I am now) is that it's much easier to talk yourself into taking an extra rest day here and there. I had a work event last Sunday evening that kept me out past my bedtime so I made Monday rest day for the week since I workout in the mornings and a rest day means an extra hour of sleep for me. All was going well last week until Tuesday night when I randomly woke up at 2am with a splitting headache and could not go back to sleep. I tossed and turned for hours panicking a little more with each passing hour as I knew the work day was going to be rough with so little sleep. Needless to say I was forced to take another rest day. Thankfully I did survive the work day and made sure to go to bed that night super early and was back on my normal schedule the next day.

This morning I woke up to a text from a coworker who said she had just completed her first Orange Theory workout. I've never tried Orange Theory, but given how motivated I feel wearing my little heart rate monitor during my home workouts I have a feeling I would like their workouts. They just opened a new location semi-close (about 15-20 away) from my house. The text from my coworker got my brain thinking about maybe giving it a shot. Well that thought quickly came and went once I looked up the prices! Holly Molly they are expensive!!!! Four classes are $59/month, Eight classes are $99/mo, and unlimited is $159/mo. The "frugal fran" in me just can't justify spending that kind of money on a monthly basis when you get so little bang for your buck. I mean I can renew my Les Mills membership for an ENTIRE year for only $119 or BBOD for $99!!! Then I reminded myself why I gave up a gym membership years ago and started working out at home 100% of the time. It's just so convenient to pop out of bed in the morning, throw on my workout clothes, pull my hair back, and go. No getting in my car, no commute time to the gym, no need for cute gym clothes or making myself semi presentable because I'm going out in public...lol.

I then seriously contemplated taking the imaginary pot of money that I was going to spend on OT and was going to go ahead and renew my LMOD membership. LOL. I've been wanting to start it back up again, but have been trying to hold out until the holidays in the hopes that they will maybe run a Black Friday deal of some sort. Plus I did just restart my Cathe OD membership and still have BBOD. I talked myself out of it for now seeing how I know I'll be starting Lift4 in October, but if my workout ADD flares up again I may sign up at the monthly rate and then just pay for a month or two and then cancel in October.

While I was talking myself out of the OT thing, I reminded myself of how many great home workouts I have access to right now that can burn just as many calories as at OT workout. So for today's workout I pulled out More Cardio Strength from Michelle Dozois. I love Michelle's Cardio Strength workouts from her Peak Fitness program, but I don't think I could do a regular rotation of them--I think the dread factor would be too great for me personally. I definitely have to be in the right mood for one of these workouts because they are no joke. They are calorie scorchers for sure!!! Today was a good day for it though. I got a good night's rest last night and was ready for a good calorie burn. I just have to be careful when choosing my weights for these workouts because some of the swinging moves can aggravate my finicky shoulders if I go too heavy.

Okay, I guess that's enough rambling for now. Hope you ladies have a wonderful weekend!!

Tags
80 day obsession, bbod 80 day obsession, bod, clam, eccentric weight training, joel freeman, liift4, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal