Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-17, 01:41 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Anyone own a spin or indoor bike?

Hi there!

I used to take a spinning class at my local rec center and loved it. Between the recurring cost, the timing of the classes, and my work schedule it's only practical for me to go in the summer. However, the timing of the classes correspond to the hottest part off the day which feels gross even in an air conditioned room. So I'm thinking of buying a spin bike so a) I can use it year round and b) at a time that works better for me.

My questions for those who have an indoor spin bike.

1) what bike did you purchase?
2) do you use programs or videos when you ride? If so, what do you recommend?
3) do you have any regrets about your purchase? If so, what are they?

Thanks for taking time to respond!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 02:02 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
I've had a spin bike for over 10 years.

I started with a Johnny G Spinner Pro bike. I used that one for over 9 years. I mostly did Cathe's spin workouts and then there was a streaming website from San Diego that I used. I'm sure there are people still using that who will respond. Sorry, I can't remember which one it was. But, once I discovered that I could stream Peloton classes from my phone and have them play on the TV, I stopped using anything else (maybe the occasional Cathe, but I ended my membership with the other streaming service). The Spinner Pro worked pretty well with the Peloton classes. They often give cadence cues, so I bought a cycling computer that attached to the wheel and told me how fast I was going. But it was frustrating that I could not get a number for the resistance. I had to just guess that I was near the place given by the instructor.

I was very happy using the Peloton workouts this way for about a year. There is excellent variety of music, instructor, class type, time length etc.

This past Christmas, my husband and I decided to buy the Peloton bike. I must say it is one of our best purchases ever. It gets used several times a week and it is great to be able to follow along with the class and be able to hit the marks instructed by the coach.

Most recently, I've been doing 30 minutes Peloton Tabata classes followed by a 30 minute Millionaire Hoy classs. I'm really enjoying this.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 02:20 PM  
IceQueen07

There were really no convenient classes near me so I purchased a Sole Fitness Bike at Thanksgiving, it was on sale and had free shipping and love having it to use whenever I want. Right now I use it about twice a week. I would have loved to get the Peloton bike, but just could justify the cost. I have done the trial Peloton streaming and plan on subscribing, but have been using Studio Sweat on Demand and really enjoy those also.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 02:27 PM  
rhbrand

I've got one but well, I've not used it much in several months lol. Its a Johnny G bike and I use to use it quite a bit.

I've got a few dvds, but since I have android, not Apple, I can't sign up for Peleton, which SUCKS! I got bored with the few dvds I've got and quit biking.
Really should take it up again, cause once I get use to the seat, I did enjoy it.

I need to find a place that streams spinning workouts. Or keep pestering Peleton til they add and android to their app.
Old 05-28-17, 04:41 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

I bought a Johnny G too many many years ago and it still spins. Little noise and there are no extras on it but it serves the purpose. I also use it as a "barre" for barre classes. Nowadays I stream Spinervals.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 09:04 PM  
kas97

I do not, nor have I ever taken a spin class. However, I get sucked into the Peloton commercials and found this thread on an at-home alternative that I saved in case I ever do decide to buy a spin bike without ever having been to a class!

http://www.mypursestrings.com/peloton-app/
kas97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 06:58 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas97 View Post
I do not, nor have I ever taken a spin class. However, I get sucked into the Peloton commercials and found this thread on an at-home alternative that I saved in case I ever do decide to buy a spin bike without ever having been to a class!

http://www.mypursestrings.com/peloton-app/
I have a 'regular' indoor bike and have always thought about getting a spin bike but I don't have the room. Thanks for posting that. Very interesting.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 07:37 AM  
irongrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
I bought a Johnny G too many many years ago and it still spins. Little noise and there are no extras on it but it serves the purpose. I also use it as a "barre" for barre classes. Nowadays I stream Spinervals.
I also use Spinervals streaming. It's a great deal for only $12.95 a month and they always have free workouts available to try out.
irongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 09:22 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas97 View Post
This is basically what I did for a year before I ended up getting the Peloton bike. If you are not sure you will stick with at home cycling or the "real" one is just not financially feasible, this is an excellent alternative. I was very happy using the Peloton App with the Johnny G bike with the cadence meter attached.

Also, it was Studio Sweat on demand that I used before I found out about the Peloton App. But as mentioned above, Peloton only has an app for iphone, nothing yet for Android.

If you search Peloton in the app store, there are other apps listed for cycling. CycleCast, BeatBurn.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 09:25 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
This is basically what I did for a year before I ended up getting the Peloton bike. If you are not sure you will stick with at home cycling or the "real" one is just not financially feasible, this is an excellent alternative. I was very happy using the Peloton App with the Johnny G bike with the cadence meter attached.

Also, it was Studio Sweat on demand that I used before I found out about the Peloton App. But as mentioned above, Peloton only has an app for iphone, nothing yet for Android.

If you search Peloton in the app store, there are other apps listed for cycling. CycleCast, BeatBurn.
Can you tell me which cadence meter did you attach to your bike? I want to get one too.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinning