Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-08, 09:02 PM  
Kimberly33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinamatas
I've been down the physical therapy road with a shoulder injury a few years ago and found it to be an extremely frustrating experience and a waste of time - just my personal experience, though. The physical therapists (I saw different ones at the same place every time I went), for example, kept disagreeing with what the doctor was telling me and vice versa. I eventually just healed on my own. I wish there were someone that truly knew what they were doing and actually took the time to help - unlike the physical therapists that were only interested in talking about the weather, last night's game, making fun of the fact that I'm 40 and have back issues "like an old woman", etc., that I just couldn't take it anymore and I'm trying desperately not to repeat that experience. Sorry for the rant and I don't mean to offend any therapists here or people who find them helpful, but I guess I needed to vent a bit.
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience! It really sounds like the place you went to was seriously unprofessional. I can't believe they would make fun of you. I personally don't worry when they disagree with the physicians--I love my Dr, but I don't think most GPs are experts when it comes to back or muscle pain.

If you decide to take that route in the future, ask for referrals from people you trust. If you can't, then run some internet searches for PTs in your area. It's not uncommon for them to have web pages and they often talk about their approach to PT. The first one I went to was much like yours--I think the problem was that they wanted to focus on athletes and didn't have much use for people with functional issues. I have friends who have had GREAT results from PT. I spent the morning looking at web sites in my area. I focused on ones that stressed patient education and general fitness. Of course, I don't know how that's going to turn out, but I have a good feeling! (and I hope my shoulder will feel good )

My low back pain wasn't as bad as yours, I think, but walking was definitely helpful.

I really hope you find something that helps!

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recumbent bike