Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-05, 12:25 PM  
spottyd

Anyone heard of Cindy Kozacek? Videos for Seniors?

I was looking for some videos for my 65 year old Mom, as she has stated she is tired of not being able to get out of bed without having to physically propel herself up and out ...
She is not terribly overweight, maybe 10 pounds, but she hasn't REALLY exercised in many, many years. She does do 20 minutes of treadmill 6 days a week, but has to break it up into 10 minute sessions; and she only goes about 3 mph. I'd like to get her a LITTLE more cardio (basic, basic, basic!), and definitely some arm & leg movements to improve her range of motion, toning & flexibility.
Anyway - I read about Cindy Kozacek who apparently does videos specifically for seniors and was wondering if anyone was familiar with them?? I didn't see any reviews in the review section.
Thanks very much!
Courtney
spottyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 01:26 PM  
doskymom

Courtney,

You can view clips of two of Cindy's workouts at Collage. There's also Leslie Sansone and I've been using Karen Voight's "Ease Into Fitness" while I work on getting my broken leg to heal - it's helped me a lot.
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 01:41 PM  
spottyd

Thank you!

Thanks Doskymom- I had seen the clips at Collage, but couldn't get a very good "feel" for them; i.e., I'm afraid the aerobics will be too much for her????

I was also going to look into Karen Voight's workout, and possibly Denise Austin's X-Tra Lite Toning Workout.

Thanks very much!
Courtney
Old 05-04-05, 01:58 PM  
doskymom

Courtney,

If you think those Cindy workouts might be too much for her, maybe workouts done from a sitting position would work? Most of the Karen Voight workout is done from a sitting position - there's a very short section of standing exercises, done holding onto a chair for balance. Also, Leslie Sansone's "Shortcuts for the Upper Body" is done almost entirely from a sitting position, too (except for a short walking warm up). There are also the "Chair Dancing" workouts, but from looking at the clips at Collage, the music doesn't look very good. I bought Richard Simmons' "Sit Tight" off of e-bay - it's done entirely from a sitting position and the music is pretty good.
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 03:21 PM  
horsemom2

other suggestions

The Walk It Off with George workouts are really nice for older folks who identify with George Foreman.
Also there is a Sit and Be Fit tv show as well as chairdancing workouts that may click for your mom as well as a sitting workout by Richard Simmons. Sometimes these sitting workouts can work the core even better than standing and get pretty aerobic as well!
(ETA: ooops should have read Dosky's post before posting LOL)

Barb S
who does these sitting workouts on a stability ball for an extra challenge
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 03:24 PM  
spottyd

Great minds think alike ... : )

Thanks for these ideas, ladies - I just gave her ALL my George Foreman dvd's last night, and my Dad actually said he might do them too, which would be a MIRACLE!
I guess maybe I should wait and see how she likes those, first, and then based on her comments and likes/dislikes, I can move forward from there!
Thanks so much for everyone's advice!!