Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-05, 07:29 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks again for the continued helpful input. Thanks for the informative link, Bzar. I am very grateful for the offers of loans and freebies. VFers are the best!

Thanks to the kindness of VFers, I will be able to try out the Kathy Smith tapes and also Her Steady Strides CD.

Today, I was very lucky to find that Gaiam Walking Kit buried under stuff at Ross.

I will have NO excuse to not go out and walk!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 08:37 AM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

I love the Shape series. They all have great music by original artists. No talking, just good music that can be used for walking, running, elliptical, treadmill...you name it.

Having said that, I also enjoy my Kathy Smith walking tapes. My favorites are Pump up the Pace, Lean Walk System cd3, Weight Loss and Better Body, which are all hour-long workouts, or at least can be turned into hour-long workouts...there's 60-minutes worth of music on each.

Kathy does talk, but she's not annoying to me, just friendly and encouraging. I mostly use them for walk/run interval workouts.

Then, of course, there's Cardio Coach. My favorite is Vol 4. I just got Vol 5, but haven't tried it yet. I think I'll give it a whirl today now that I've read this thread!

Walker's Warehouse has good prices. Also, I've found several of the Shape cds at Half.com.
Old 09-10-05, 08:47 AM  
Kim
VF Supporter

How do you know what bpm translates to what mph? I've been looking at the walking CDs at Collage but am not sure what bpm would be too advanced and would love to know how many miles per hour each speed translates to, at least approximately.

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 09:51 AM  
fitby40

Question

Anybody try the Walkout of the Month program by Gaiam?
fitby40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 11:57 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Mary - I had a chance to hear one of Kathy's walking programs and ordered her "Weight Loss Walk Fit" from Collage. I also thought I'd try Leslie's Advanced Walk, too.

Kim - Here is a link to a page at Collage that might help:

http://www.collagevideo.com/cart/hpd...x?Cart=KLH36FN

fitby40 - I don't know about the Gaiam clubs. They don't get high ratings here from what I have read.

I tried the Gaiam Walk Kit CD with Madeline Lewis and like it a lot!

ETA: I listened to Richard Simmons "Walk on Broadway" tape. He is a hoot, but the tape was not inspiring. The music isn't even real show tunes.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 09-10-05, 12:04 PM  
Lisa TV
VF Supporter

I had Leslie's Advanced Walk (if that's the 3 mile walk) and found it lacking. I really like Leslie's WATP stuff and I love Kathy Smith's walking stuff, so I thought this would help add to my collection. The music was slower than it should have been. I use a walking trail nearby and when she said we'd done 3 miles, I'd gone 1.5 miles instead. I switched to one of Kathy's shorter audio workouts for the last 20 mins or so. I got rid of that one shortly after.

Love the Gaiam one--the music is terrific. I wish it was longer.
Lisa TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 12:06 PM  
Lisa TV
VF Supporter

Btw Alta, I don't have the Simmons one you referenced but I do have Take A Walk/Take A Hike and Walk Across America. The latter is over the top cheeseball even for Richard, so I rarely use it. The former is pretty decent for a day when you don't want to walk really fast. Kathy's stuff moves pretty fast for my short little legs, so I use Richard's on days when I'm lower energy. If memory serves, Take a Walk is 30 mins, and the hike is 60. It's on cassette and hard to find. I bought them on Ebay and used software to record them so I could transfer them to my mp3 player.
Lisa TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-05, 12:08 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa TV
I had Leslie's Advanced Walk (if that's the 3 mile walk) and found it lacking. I really like Leslie's WATP stuff and I love Kathy Smith's walking stuff, so I thought this would help add to my collection. The music was slower than it should have been.
Leslie's might still be useful for me. If I walk outside, it is almost all hills. So, the slower pace will probably be ok. We'll see!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 09-12-05, 01:38 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitby40
Anybody try the Walkout of the Month program by Gaiam?
Monterey Vidiot gave me a sample 30-min cassette featuring Debbie Rocker as the instructor. IIRC, debbie was to lead all of the workouts in the Gaiam series. Monterey got it free with her walkvest that she ordered from the walkvest site.

i didn't really like it - the sound wasn't very clear. i'll have to try it again to remember the details, but i never went back to it. my favorites are kathy smith all the way.

ETA: i was also going to suggest checking your local library for cassettes. here's the ones my library carried:
Gary Yanker: Exercisewalking (1988)
---good form instruction, and music is not bad
American Heart Ass'n: Heart Healthy Walking Tape (1995)
---features Rita Moreno, who cues/motivate quite well in this tape
Jenny Craig Let's Get Walking: (1997)
---didn't try it yet, but plan to

About.com has a list of walking audios also.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kathy smith walkfit, kathy smith walking, special k, steady strides, walking cds