Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-05, 11:34 PM  
Helen

Can someone clearly spell out your sizing for me?

I know there's vanity sizing and I have gathered that it's like calling an old size 8 a size 2, or SOMETHING like that. Can anyone give me a rough idea of the 2 different sizing systems you have? It's just that I have trouble understanding some success stories - from a size 16 to a size 4? I don't GET it!

For me - a standard size 8 means bust-waist-hips = about 35" - 25" - 35".
This is the smallest adult size we have.

Clothing for teenagers/young women come in 8, 10, 12.
Women's shops generally don't stock size 8, but do 10, 12, 14.
Specialty sections for 'larger' sizes will have 14, 16, 18.
Rarely see a 20.

Not asking for 'technical' - rough idea will do - thanks anyone who can help
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-05, 12:24 AM  
benemma

I don't know the measurements and I can fit in things ranging from 4-8....but I'll try to give you a general idea.

Women's sizes range from 0-24 (I'm sure there are higher, though I've never seen them). I've never seen a 0 either, though I've heard celebrities are. Sizes 1-15 are Juniors sizes and seem to be cut for adolescent boys. They are very slim. I have a hard time fitting into a 13 juniors and a large juniors shirt.

I think they intend 8-10 to be "average" here, but I have heard that the average American woman actually wears a 14. Plus sizes typically start at 14, though I have also heard that most plus sized models are a size 12.

Personally I can fit in a pair of size 4 Levi's, but the shorts I got at KMart are a size 8 and fit pretty well, so there is obviously some vanity sizing going on.

It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.
-Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own
benemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-05, 12:30 AM  
kirstyscooby
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
I know there's vanity sizing and I have gathered that it's like calling an old size 8 a size 2, or SOMETHING like that. Can anyone give me a rough idea of the 2 different sizing systems you have? It's just that I have trouble understanding some success stories - from a size 16 to a size 4? I don't GET it!

For me - a standard size 8 means bust-waist-hips = about 35" - 25" - 35".
This is the smallest adult size we have.

Clothing for teenagers/young women come in 8, 10, 12.
Women's shops generally don't stock size 8, but do 10, 12, 14.
Specialty sections for 'larger' sizes will have 14, 16, 18.
Rarely see a 20.

Not asking for 'technical' - rough idea will do - thanks anyone who can help
Helen my sister travels to Hawaii on holiday a lot (lucky thing) and part of the reason she loves going there is for the great, cheap shopping. She is a NZ size 10 on the bottom and 12 on the top which is Australian size 8-10 roughly. In American sizes she has everything from a 0 -4 but is mainly a 2 on the bottom and a 4 on the top.

Hope this sheds some light, it is confusing!
Old 09-08-05, 12:59 AM  
Helen

Thanks Krista and Kirsty

I think a rough way to go would be for those teeny sizes, add on around 6 for my mental picture.

That would also fit well with Krista - around 5'8" and 9½ stone, a size 10 in jeans (4 + 6) sounds about right in my world. Which, sadly, at 4'10" and 8½ stone, I'm a size 10 in jeans too

More absumption OF me, less consumption BY me!

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 09-08-05, 01:26 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Here's another loop for you Helen!

I am an Australian size 10-12 - my Gap shorts are a baggy size 10, capris a fitted size 8 and my Nike workout gear size 4-6 American

Just as long as I find clothes that look and feel good (the bane of my life )

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-05, 03:56 AM  
antbuko

I wear women's sizes 2-4, mostly 4. I'm about 121 lbs., chest 32", waist 28", hips 34". My teenage daughter wears from a size 0 to size 3 jeans. I don't know her exact measurements but she's slim but not underweight.
Old 09-08-05, 05:12 AM  
bright eyes

Old Fashion Metrics

I have seen a size zero up to thirty six in stores. However, I am part of that generation that sews and takes your metrics for what they are. On a pattern, I am a size twelve, on the rack, I am a size four!!! (previous metrics) But nonetheless, it is such a vast difference. I truly believe in the sewing metrics because of the consistency throughout different companies, i.e., McCall's Vogue, Simplicity,etc.

http://atlcbody.blogspot.com/

2008 Fitness Motto
"Any kind of exercise is good, as long as you are doing something....."- aTLCbody
bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-05, 05:17 AM  
Helen

Thanks - I'm starting to get a 'feel' for it now. There will be manufacturer variations is sizing as ever, but these "8 here = 4 there", and a teenager wearing a 0?! That's not mere variations and really needs getting used to. The actual numbers helps - Aust. vs U.S., the actual inches etc - I'm a numbers person

It's a real shame that the garment industry doesn't have a universal system!

(Sigh) It probably won't happen given the nature of the product - too subjective too often.

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 09-08-05, 05:23 AM  
bright eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
Thanks - I'm starting to get a 'feel' for it now. There will be manufacturer variations is sizing as ever, but these "8 here = 4 there", and a teenager wearing a 0?! That's not mere variations and really needs getting used to. The actual numbers helps - Aust. vs U.S., the actual inches etc - I'm a numbers person

It's a real shame that the garment industry doesn't have a universal system!

(Sigh) It probably won't happen given the nature of the product - too subjective too often.
My Grandmother once told me that the size variations between companies is a marketing gimmick on the female's pysche. Old Navy Jeans I can wear at a size 4 and but the same jeans in Levi will be a size 8 thus for ego purposes, I am repetitively buying Old Navy!
The Mental size difference and the boost of confidence......

http://atlcbody.blogspot.com/

2008 Fitness Motto
"Any kind of exercise is good, as long as you are doing something....."- aTLCbody
bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-05, 05:24 AM  
Carol_is_fit

Sizing is the most frustrating part of clothes shopping, for me anyway. I take a few different ones in to try on because it seems to be dependent on the manufacturer, and there's no rhyme or reason anymore. I've even bought two identical pairs of jeans in the same size after trying on only one pair, and had the other pair fit differently once I got them home!! It drives my daughter crazy because you know at 14 it's all about how she looks to everyone else - LOL!! For me it's more of a "find the size in THIS pair that fits me!" game!!

Carol