Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-09, 10:31 AM  
Pykkalo

Leslie Sansone walking vs. regular walking

I've always wondered how many calories I burn per Leslie Sansone "mile" versus a mile of regular walking. So today I decided to compare them with a rather un-scientific study.

***Notice*** I am quite a bit overweight so I burn a lot more calories than someone of a "healthy" weight. I think a 135-lb person burns about 100 calories per mile?? Or is that a 150-lb person... something like that.

I did Leslie Sansone's "Walk This Way" workout... a beginner's 2-mile "walk"- it was the only one I could find easily, LOL. Actual cardio part lasted 26 minutes (I am not including the stretching at the end). I burned, according to my Polar F6 heartrate monitor, 235 calories in that 26 minutes. 117 calories per mile, 9 calories per minute.

Then I rested for about 10 minutes and then hopped on my treadmill, 3.5 mph pace. Took me about 35 minutes to walk 2 miles (I walked 3mph for a very short time at the beginning). I burned 325 calories. That's 162 calories per mile, 9.28 calories per minute.

So... I burn a smidge more calories per minute while walking versus doing a Leslie Sansone workout, but I burn nearly 40% more calories in a regular walking mile.

My maximum heartrate was higher during Leslie Sansone's workout, 156 vs. 148. My average heartrate was lower during Leslie though, 138 vs. 140. I guess Leslie provides a little more of an "interval" workout?

I need to try this again with a different Leslie Sansone workout, such as a "boosted" walk (with the jogging or the stretchies or the walk belt), to see if the calorie burn for that is higher. I tried walking on the treadmill at 3mph to compare it to my previous 2 workouts, but now the battery is starting to die I think (it was not registering my heartrate, it said "00")... I wonder how to replace the battery on it? Does it just need replaced in the wristwatch part, or does the chest strap also have something that needs replaced? I dunno. I bought this thing 3 years ago... I used it regularly for several months, then sporadically, and then I went over a year w/o using it.

Update, I'm going to try the treadmill workout "fresh" in a couple days, see how much difference there is.
Pykkalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 11:24 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thanks for sharing & going thru the trouble of testing yourself.

couple of things.

i think you need to perform the treadmill test "cold" (like on a different day) instead of only allowing 10 min rest between the 1st take and the 2nd take. this would put both types of walking on even footage in terms of your body being warmed up. this would result in 2 better measures of your max heart rate for the treadmill, and also the calories burned on the treadmill.

i've measured a cardio workout 2 ways: (1) starting out totally cold (2) clearing my HRM data and then doing the same workout after having done a workout right before it. the workouts i did this with were 10 minute solution Carb Burner (Michelle Dozois) and the Madeleine Lewis Gaiam walking workout for 30 min & maybe a tamilee cardio workout. my HRM does not have a calories burned measurement. .

i noticed that toward the 20-25 minute mark of having done a workout, that's when my body is truly warmed up. and it takes at least that long for my body to get into a 60-70% "of anaerobic threshold" zone (i.e., the fat burning zone). i have pretty fast recovery since originally i started out as a runner, meaning at the 20-25 min mark of a warm-up, in minute # 26, my HR could quickly go below 50%.

however, a long time ago when i was not as conditioned, i'd be literally gasping for breath if i charged right in and didn't adequately warm up, and i could feel my chest wanting to explode. this was in the first 5 minutes, and even though i didn't own a HRM, i'm guessing my perceived exertion was somewhere at a 9 out of 10 (unable to talk, wanting to barf).

i've measured 3 leslie indoor miles (using her pre-Walk Slim era workouts like walk & kick) vs. brisk walking outside wearing my HRM. i've also worn it doing 3 miles on a treadmill. i noticed that treadmill and outdoor walking is more intense than an indoor leslie walk. in a majority of the instances, i could not get my HR into the 60-70% zone doing a leslie walk "as is". although i do own a ton of Leslies. in general, her Walk Slim's are more intense for me and i get a better bang out of it HR-wise.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.

Last edited by bzar; 06-28-09 at 01:45 PM. Reason: edited the tamilee reference :)
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 11:26 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

another thing - your HRM could be registering "00" from being too close to another electronic device. mine does that when it's near the TV or DVD player (like within 3 feet).

i didn't need to change my wrist battery until maybe 4 yrs after i bought it. the chest strap has not needed to be changed. and i knew the wrist battery was dead when it said "- -" on the display as opposed to "00". i have a polar B3 from costco.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 06-27-09, 11:35 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I agree, you cannot compare the two workouts as you did them, because you started the first workout totally cold and you started the second workout with your body already warmed up.

Do the treadmill thing on another day and I bet you'll find you get a much closer result.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 11:38 AM  
Pykkalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
another thing - your HRM could be registering "00" from being too close to another electronic device. mine does that when it's near the TV or DVD player (like within 3 feet).
Or maybe the treadmill display?

Thanks for the advice, I'll try the treadmill workout again next week.
Old 06-27-09, 11:47 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

For sure, two different days with identical starting protocols.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 12:12 PM  
Pykkalo

Well, don't I feel silly now... I checked my fitness log from last week. On one day I did a hill interval workout on the treadmill, 5-minute warm-up/cool-down at 3mph, walking intervals of 3mph @ 5% incline and 3.3mph at no incline. I walked 2.3 miles in 45 minutes and burned 361 calories (156 calories per mile)... and that was with the extra calorie-burning boost of the 5% incline. That was the only workout activity I did that day.
Old 06-28-09, 02:01 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pykkalo View Post
Well, don't I feel silly now.
i don't see this as silly at all - in fact when you compare the 3 "workouts" they're pretty much consistent, relatively speaking. it shows that treadmill is much more intense (which is not a lame statement at all) . however, i don't discount leslie by any means. i own lots of leslie's. in some cases, her workouts are more intense than some other cardio workouts that i've done.

with this information, you could still alter/choose workouts to fit your goals/needs. for example, after tracking many workouts HRM, i've noticed that there's some workouts that really get me into my fatburning zone earlier than my signature "25 minute mark", like kathy smith's interval workout and matrix walking workout. she uses lots of arm movements in the warm-up, and i used to take them for granted until i started looking at my HRM after the warm-up. so with a leslie, you could really amp-up the arms or exaggerate the legs.

another experiment i've tried is outdoor walking w/ and w/out resistance bands, hand weights, etc. compared with treadmill, it's a slightly different workout because the treadmill makes sure you're at a consistent pace, but walking freestyle on the sidewalk makes you forced to follow strict form to stay in an intense level.

Old 06-28-09, 05:58 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I don't think the difference is treadmill vs. Leslie, the difference is intervals (on the treadmill) vs. steady-state (a beginner level Leslie without boosted walking).

It would be interesting to compare steady state treadmill vs. steady state Leslie, and intervals on the treadmill vs. intervals with Leslie.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-09, 10:40 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
I don't think the difference is treadmill vs. Leslie, the difference is intervals (on the treadmill) vs. steady-state (a beginner level Leslie without boosted walking).

It would be interesting to compare steady state treadmill vs. steady state Leslie, and intervals on the treadmill vs. intervals with Leslie.
susan - i meant to say that as my own lab-rat, , mine were steady state, especially the ones w/out the props (like powerbelt, weights). i usually don't do interval walking on the treadmill or when walking outdoors. i find those workouts intense enough on their own w/out intervals.

i find that in my 2 experiments (outdoor steady state vs. treadmill steady state), the outdoor version had to do with stride length. i use more range of motion when outdoors, whereas w/motorized treadmill (limited stride), it had to do with pace.

and the leslies i had used back then were the pre-walk slim ones (watp express 3 mile or 4 mile, w/out stretchie).

Tags
leslie sansone, leslie vs treadmill, mile equivalency, outdoor walking, polar, powerbelt walking system, treadmill vs leslie, walking