Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-16, 10:02 AM  
PennyK

What are your favorite British tv shows?

I have been binge watching (after my workouts of course ) River with Stellan Skarsgard this week on Netflix and love it, I have one more episode left to watch of season 1. I can't find anything about any more seasons.

I mostly watch KET/Netflix now, I love the shows and no commercials. I have found some great documentaries on Netflix that I probably wouldn't have seen else where. On KET, my favorites are all the mysteries and i'm eagerly awaiting for the return of Poldark. Some favorites that are no longer on are Scott & Bailey, Frankie, and Wallander. Though I just did see that Wallander is on Netflix.

These are some recent ones I've been watching-
The Tunnel
The Great British Baking Show
Dancing On The Edge
Endeavor
Inspector Lewis

I also liked The Crimson Field, Sherlock, and a couple episodes of Call The Midwife I've watched. There is another one I can't think the name of with a detective and a young pastor.

I am surprised by all the smoking on these shows, they remind me of the old black and white movies.
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 10:07 AM  
cecififi

I am watching Black Books for the second time round. I get a big chuckle outta that show. It gets better as it goes along. Very funny. It's about an irish guy who smokes and drinks red wine all day, runs a book store in england somewhere but hates people.

I also love Miranda. Its about a very tall woman who is often mistaken for a man. Her mother is trying to marry her off etc... Very funny.

And - my favourite is Still Game. It's a scottish show (I was born in scotland) about two pensioners (males) who have been best friends all their lives but live on a fixed income. They are widowers. It's the best show I have ever seen in my life. My co-worker watched it after me and laughed til he cried. You need to watch an episode or two to get into it. And, you have to watch past the credits cos there is always more stuff that's really funny.

I must check out your suggestions as I am looking for new stuff too. I tend only to watch the housewives and coronation street (and occasional netflix).
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 10:21 AM  
beth22

I love River! Excellent, excellent show
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 10:50 AM  
sherry7899

Going back to the late 1990s, early 2000's I loved the British show "Cold Feet." They called it the British version of Friends since it is about three couples, but it isn't...the storylines are more deep and serious with comedy thrown in. There is a tie to Friends-the British actress who played Ross' wife is a lead actress on Cold Feet. She plays the character Rachel. Unfortunately, they did not release all the seasons of it on dvd here. I saw the first few seasons on Bravo back when they had better programming and not all reality crap.

I just got a few seasons of the Irish tv series "Murphy's Law" which stars James Nesbitt from Cold Feet. He was also in "Ballykissangel" as well. I loved that show, but could not keep up with it. There were too many episodes.

As a teenager I watched "Eastenders" on PBS. That is still going, but I stopped watching it years ago. Our PBS stations were not showing the series in order so it was impossible to keep up with it.

As you can tell, I really haven't watched anything new in a long time. I also loved the shows "Coupling" and "Men Behaving Badly."

The Showtime series "Shameless" is actually based on a British series of the same name. It had been available on Netflix. I keep meaning to finish up the American version so far and then watch the British series.

I will probably think of others to add later.

When we got BBC America I thought I'd find all these new shows to watch, but it seems like they just show "Top Gear" endlessly.

I have seen "Black Books" on dvd at a local record store that has a section of British tv series on dvd for sale. I'll have to check that out-thanks!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 10:51 AM  
Sissy B

Quote:
There is another one I can't think the name of with a detective and a young pastor.
Grantchester, maybe? I love this one.

I Miranda!!! It's on Hulu and the final 2 episodes are on YouTube.

I also like:

Broadchurch
Keeping Up Appearances
Absolutely Fabulous
The IT Crowd
Fat Friends
(found the DVD of Series 1, haven't gotten to see the rest of the show)
Inspector Lewis
Call the Midwife
Downton Abbey
Poirot
Sherlock
MI:5
(UK title - Spooks)

I'm sure there are others I'm leaving out. I love British TV.
Sissy B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 10:54 AM  
sherry7899

Sissy-I got "Fat Friends" from swap a dvd-season one and have not watched it yet. I hope you like it.

I found the first season (their seasons are short!) of another British show on swapadvd. I have to check the title.

Sherry

Old 07-21-16, 10:54 AM  
PennyK

Sissy, That is it- Grantchester!
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 11:00 AM  
sherry7899

I don't know if these are all still available, but I found this article:

http://screenrant.com/best-british-t...flix/?view=all

Sherry

Old 07-21-16, 11:00 AM  
Sissy B

Sherry - I did like Fat Friends. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting because the description I read before watching it categorized it as a comedy which isn't totally accurate. It's sad and funny and bittersweet. I'd love to see the other 3 series (IIRC there were 4 total), but only Series 1 has been released in the states.
Sissy B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 11:04 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Sissy! I used to have a dvd player that could play British dvds, but it broke, and we don't have anywhere to hook up another player now anyway. Supposedly you can "program" some models somehow to play region 1 dvds, but I don't know if it works.

Sherry

Tags
binge watch, binge-watching, british tv shows, favorite british tv shows, favorite tv shows