Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-15, 12:55 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Lazy Record Keeping

I am not much of a fitness record keeper. Each year I start out keeping track of my workouts, but then I quit. I admit to not having the patience for developing spreadsheets and the like, let alone filling them out.

When I do a dvd several times, I remember how much weight I used the last time and so I try to improve the next time. However, being a vidiot, I like to do lots of different workouts, and when I change so often, I don't remember how much I lifted the last time I did a particular weight workout. I have an idea of the range, but not the specific weight.

I think this is one reason why I don't seem to improve much. I cannot imagine doing a long rotation such as STS and keeping tabs of everything. I know I'd rebel and throw in something else.

I don't have anything like a Fitbit. Maybe that would help for cardio at least.
Any suggestions on better record keeping?

BTW, I'm kind of OCD when it comes to keeping records in my nonfitness life. Go Figure!
Old 08-03-15, 01:00 PM  
Demeris

I use an iMac with a 19 inch screen when I work out to dvds. When I finish, near 5 am, One Note pops up (I scheduled it to do that), and I type in the workout, how hard or easy it seemed, any improvements I sense I've made since I last did the workout.

It takes about 90 seconds, and viewing the record is easypeasy because I can call up a month or several months with a click.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 01:15 PM  
PhyllisG

I got really tired of keeping records about how much weight I lifted...especially when doing Cathe workouts. I think STS was the end for me.
Now I have a monthly desk calendar where I just jot down the workout, if it was the first time I did it and how I liked it. If not the first time, then I just note what I did. Finish. It lets he see how frequently I worked out in a given month/year and what type of workouts I did. So simple things like add more cardio, strength etc. No more complicated record keeping for me. I am done.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 01:23 PM  
wellnesswife

I keep my DVD cases, so on the back I use a large post it note & write date & rate it beg, int advanced & put a few notes about weights lifted or how I felt during or after! I love coming back to workouts & see progress etc!
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 01:49 PM  
laurajhawk

I do it very simply. I keep a journal - I used to use spiral notebooks, but now I buy pretty journals . In the journal, I write what workout I did. For weight workouts, in most cases I'll just jot some notes about weights used - i.e., for KCM, it's usually two pairs of dumbbells so I write that down. Right now I'm doing Body Beast so I'm using printed workout sheets and in the journal I write "see sheet". I also (sometimes) put notes about how I felt, modifications, etc.

In the DVD case, for a weight workout, I put a postit that just has the dates I did that workout. That way, I can go back to my journals and see the details.

I think it's fun to see what I was doing a year ago today.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 02:16 PM  
marya

I admire record-keepers, I really do--but record-keeping drives me stark raving mad. Re my workouts, I rely almost entirely on memory (happily, I've been blessed with a good and reliable one). Sometimes in my journal, though, I'll describe results (for good or ill), impressions, dislikes, new workouts...
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 02:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellnesswife View Post
I keep my DVD cases, so on the back I use a large post it note & write date & rate it beg, int advanced & put a few notes about weights lifted or how I felt during or after! I love coming back to workouts & see progress etc!
I do this exact same thing as Erica, except I keep the large post-it (portrait style, 6x4, ruled) inside of the case on the left hand side.

the first time I do it, I write down 1-word impressions that matter to me (like "love it," no burpees/ burpees, equipment needed, poundage used, step or no step, etc).

thereafter, I write a 1-line sentence like this:

Sun., 8/1/15 sculpt, w/u, til 20:00

translated as date, sculpt segment/chapter, did warm up, then did workout until display time read 20:00

I can tell right away which ones are my favorites, which ones haven't been used in a while, which ones are virgins, etc.

if I have DVD sets that came in a "folder" I move all of the DVDs to a DVD zipper folder and each post it goes right on the outside of the plastic "leaf" where it's stored.

regarding spreadsheets, I use it only for inventory purposes. for certain instructors/brands (the firm, jari) I made separate spreadsheets that copied Collage's breakdowns by minute/chapter/segment. I have 1 spreadsheet for the beachbody sets that I own showing the titles and the minutes.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 02:37 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Inside the case I have a post it note telling me what equipment to use, what weights, whether I can use a rebounder for some of the cardio or unexpected equipment used such as a fit ball etc. this way I can start a workout quickly.

In a journal I have a brief message about what workout I did for that day so I can quickly scan for what type of workout needs to come next.

When I have free time I enjoy reading the journal to see how much has been accomplished also to see how my workouts change direction for a while and what I come back to.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 03:22 PM  
andtckrtoo

I use a Google Doc Spreadsheet. It has the following columns:

Day of Week, Date, First workout, Second workout, Steps (daily total), Calories burned (workout), calories burned for the day (Fitbit), weight (my weight) and comments.

I don't often do the second workout, but I keep it there because sometimes I do. I have records going back to 2011. I like it because I tend to jot down eating plans, etc. I can spot trends and see what works for me, and what doesn't.
Old 08-03-15, 04:17 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

For more than a decade now I've had a calendar devoted to writing down my workouts. All I do is write down the workout I did and jot the number of the days I've exercised for the year (172 or whatever). Faithfully, I always record this info. Do I ever look back on it? Ever! No. At the end of each year, I do note how many days of workouts I did, and in January of the next year I keep a running tab of the days going back all the years I've done it -- that I started in 1994. What use does all this do me? Not much at all -- especially the names of the workouts since I mostly never refer back to it -- but I keep doing it.

If it's weighing you down to record, I say forget it. Life is to short. The important thing is that you are working out. Or, maybe just keep track of the days?
bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
logging