Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-17, 05:09 AM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Mostly OT: Storm fried 3 out of 4 tvs!

Okay, I have been officially shoved into the modern age of televisions. Last Saturday night we had a storm that wasn't that bad, but it took out 3 out of 4 tvs--the old fashioned tube tvs. I took them to a repair shop, but he said they can't be fixed, they're either too damaged or he can't get parts. So, I have to get some new tvs.

The thrift stores around here don't sell old fashioned tvs anymore. I did pick 2 smaller tvs up at Cash Converters for a pretty good price, but their pricing for bigger tvs is not that good, especially when compared to the extended warranty plans the other stores offer on brand new tvs.

Any recommendations? It has to be 32", & I would like something with good sound, I don't plan on hooking up any speakers or soundbars up to it. I also want something reliable, that will last for some years. (I don't know how long the modern tvs last, someone told me they don't last as long as the older tvs.)

One of the main reasons I haven't upgraded to newer tvs is the setup with the cable box, etc. Right now, we can put the box on top of the tv. With the new tvs, that's not possible. So, I am having to trade in our old boxes for new boxes. I still don't know where I might fit the dvd/vcr, etc. as most of the new tvs have the 2 legs that they stand on. I've seen very few with the pedestal type stand that might work with a little monitor shelf. I think I am going to have to buy some more monitor shelves from Amazon.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me. BTW, the tv I use to exercise with is still going strong! Woo hoo!

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!

Last edited by Jennifer P.; 07-15-17 at 05:10 AM. Reason: added something
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-17, 06:22 AM  
jusca

I don't have any recommendations. I wanted to comment that modern tvs do seem to last as long as CRTs (tubes). Both my lcds, Vizio Razor (2010) and Insignia flat panel from like 2008, work just fine and show no signs of going bad. Longevity is there. even with the lower cost brands I have
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-17, 08:17 AM  
bubbles76

My LG's are still going strong. I've had them at least 8 years. I know because I got them before Tiny Bubble was born
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-17, 08:39 AM  
katmom

I like my Samsung TV. You said you have no plans to add speakers or a sound bar. Keep in mind in order to keep the flat screen TV's thin the speakers on many are rear facing. I had problems with finding a volume level on mine that I was not constantly changing (too low then too loud). I purchased a sound bar which put the sound at the front and the volume issue was solved. I splurged and purchased the small Bose sound bar, but there are some decent sound bars for $100. A friend found a Vizio at Walmart for under $100.
Old 07-15-17, 09:02 AM  
toomuchjoy

Check Craigslist. People give away tube tvs all the time!! I know you're looking to replace but maybe it would help you do it slower/cheaper. Maybe needing to buy only one new tv.
toomuchjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-17, 09:50 AM  
sherry7899

If you want a tube Tv maybe check your town's recycling center. Ours has a dropoff for used electronics. They may have tv's that still work but were replaced with flat screens.

We bought Sony flatscreens from Amazon. They shipped free right to our door. We are very happy with them. Sony also sells refurbished tvs through their site.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-17, 12:22 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Similar to Craig's list, there is an app called Next Door. It's a place where people can post for their neighbors about items they are selling, giving away, looking for. It's also a resource for referrals for repairmen. If your area has started using this app, you can post that you are looking for tube TVs. My guess is that plenty of people have them sitting somewhere unused and if you pick them up, you can get them for free.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-17, 07:07 AM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Thank you everyone for all the information. Yesterday was a challenging day, From start to finish. I got the new cable boxes, then went to Target to look at the TVs. They didn't have any if my size range on display, but I checked the VF forum & got the advice regarding soundbars.

I went to Best Buy & bought my mom the biggest TV I could for her space in the den: a 28" Samsung Smart tv, a new surge protector, some HDMI cables, an optical cable & a soundbar. It was more than I planned on spending, but I got 12 months financing.

I got home & started setting it up, which was fairly easy. I stopped at one point to set up the new cable box with my old tube tv, so my mom would have something to watch. Well, that's where it got real challenging. I couldn't get the cable box to work. I called our cable co. & he tried fixing it, but he couldn't. We tried switching out the TVs (I put a smaller led tv from cash converters in the spot.). That didn't work, so a tech is coming out to check what's wrong, but that won't be until Wed.

I did get DVD players hooked up, & we can watch YouTube on my mom's tv, so I guess that's something. Does anyone know if I can download our local news app on a smart tv?

More good & bad:. I did a weight routine this morning from Denise Austinas 360 set, & the sound was so much better than with the old tv--even without a soundbar. However, I have to get rid of the old tv, we don't have room for it. I had put it on the floor, & it was very hard for me to pick up. Right now, it's stored in my card the front seat, it won't fit in the trunk. I guess I will maybe join Craigslist to give it a good home.

Sorry this was so long. Thanks again, you all gave me good info I can use.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote