Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-17, 07:02 PM  
kmissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I think it may depend on the Orange Theory you attend, and perhaps even which class at the location you attend. As with anything, there are sometimes nice, supportive people who make it awesome, but there can also be that group of competitive moms who make it intimidating. YMMV -- give it a try and see which "flavor" of Orange you find.
May I ask how they make it intimidating?
kmissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 07:23 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmissa View Post
May I ask how they make it intimidating?
Ok, so this should probably be heavily salted with my insecurities, but.... I live in a place that's known for having a lot of very wealthy women who don't work but spend all day working out, getting their hair done, botox, etc. It's sort of a local joke. Those type of women can sometimes be intimidating to me in the grocery store! When it was a group of them together at the class, chatting it up and getting sort of front and center with the whole thing, it just reminded me why I like to work out at home alone. Sorry, I hope I don't offend anyone here.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 06:32 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
I know having your HR up on a screen sounds intimidating, but you can't compare yourself to other people's numbers. It's all relative with age, gender, weight, fitness level, etc. So another persons numbers are really just gibberish. Besides, everyone is working way to hard to pay any attention to anyone else's stats but their own.

It is very much a non competitive environment. Some people are running, some are jogging, many are walking. It doesn't matter, as long as you are challenging yourself.
Chiming in about my experience with this. As I have stated, Pulse 45 is different in that we have so much more variety in the workout, but it sounds like the heart rate monitoring system is very much the same.

Our stats are displayed on big TV screens for all to see. I have never found it to be intimidating or competitive in a bad way. Everyone is supportive and cheers each other on constantly. We had one lady who was on blood pressure medicine and therefore found it hard to get her heart rate up into the yellow zone. One day she finally started getting there and the whole room erupted into cheers for her. Other people who are striving for weight loss cheer each other on with how many calories they've burned, and help each other by shouting out encouragement when they are near a goal ("Susie, you're at 489, go girl... only 11 more to 500!!!" for example!)

Our display shows calorie burn, actual heart rate, effort points, and the colored zones showing your heart rate zone in real time. The calorie burn, as Sancho says, really can't be compared because it's based on individual factors that aren't comparable... a person's height, weight, age, etc. The energy points are based on how hard you work, how long you stayed in the yellow and red zones (highest heart rates), so that is a stat that is more comparable to others. Even still, it's all about encouraging others, not competing in a vicious way. And I would also agree that everyone is working too hard to worry about what another person's stats are. I always say if someone has enough time to analyse someone else's monitor stats, they aren't working hard enough at what they're doing!

I guess YMV depending on the group, but our group uses the monitor to encourage and inspire others. It's just the perfect way to bring the class together as a cohesive and supportive unit!
Old 07-02-17, 02:08 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
I know having your HR up on a screen sounds intimidating, but you can't compare yourself to other people's numbers. It's all relative with age, gender, weight, fitness level, etc. So another persons numbers are really just gibberish. Besides, everyone is working way to hard to pay any attention to anyone else's stats but their own.

It is very much a non competitive environment. Some people are running, some are jogging, many are walking. It doesn't matter, as long as you are challenging yourself.
Honestly I wasn't even paying attention to anyone else's heart rate. My vision isn't the greatest so I was checking the screen to make sure I was in the orange or red zone when it was appropriate to be there. I couldn't even see my actual heart rate until afterward the instructor showed me the workout summary which displayed how much time my heart rate was in the different zones, and my average H.R. I didn't get a competitive vibe at all. But I understand that would depend on the group. One of the reasons I didn't want to do my first class at one of the studios north of where I live is that I could see it being the same experience as Bee described above. The class I took had a number of people obviously struggling but the instructor was very supportive. Everyone else was just doing their own thing minding their own business.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 02:24 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Well my calves are still sore today from Wednesday's workout but they were painfully sore on Friday and Saturday. I don't know if it was from the strider or from doing weighted jumping jacks, both of which I don't typically do. Or maybe it was the rower? Anyone else experience this( or excessive soreness in general) and if so does it happen frequently?

I am undecided about committing to this. If I want to work out at another studio in July and August I will have to pay their studio the regular rate then cancel when the place near me opens up.
My real dilemma is that I might do online group strength training with Dave Dellanave using a program I did with him 4 years ago. I made a lot of strength gains and he doesn't do this that often. It starts next Monday, is 3 times a week and the off days are active rest. OT is definitely not active rest. So maybe I will just do OT once a week.
Decisions....I am terrible at making them.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 04:31 PM  
kmissa

Quote:
Ok, so this should probably be heavily salted with my insecurities, but.... I live in a place that's known for having a lot of very wealthy women who don't work but spend all day working out, getting their hair done, botox, etc. It's sort of a local joke. Those type of women can sometimes be intimidating to me in the grocery store! When it was a group of them together at the class, chatting it up and getting sort of front and center with the whole thing, it just reminded me why I like to work out at home alone. Sorry, I hope I don't offend anyone here.
None taken, I was just wondering if they did something or if it was your perception. My otf is super friendly. I know we all can have a tendency to prejudge. I know I used to overthink when I was the only heavy, woman of color in Pure Barre class in Greenwich, CT, but everyone I met was lovely. Some small boutique gyms can be cliquey, too, so I wasn't sure if that was the case.
Old 07-02-17, 04:33 PM  
kmissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Well my calves are still sore today from Wednesday's workout but they were painfully sore on Friday and Saturday. I don't know if it was from the strider or from doing weighted jumping jacks, both of which I don't typically do. Or maybe it was the rower? Anyone else experience this( or excessive soreness in general) and if so does it happen frequently?

I am undecided about committing to this. If I want to work out at another studio in July and August I will have to pay their studio the regular rate then cancel when the place near me opens up.
My real dilemma is that I might do online group strength training with Dave Dellanave using a program I did with him 4 years ago. I made a lot of strength gains and he doesn't do this that often. It starts next Monday, is 3 times a week and the off days are active rest. OT is definitely not active rest. So maybe I will just do OT once a week.
Omg you sound like me. I'm always so torn. I have otf unlimited yet I still
Buy packages other places just in case. I vaguely remember wed workout, was it a run/row? Are you getting enough stretching in? I usually don't get excessive soreness, but I now make sure I get in enough stretching and force myself to form
Roll.

What are your goals? The at home program sounds tempting since you had good experience with it from before. Could you do both?
Old 07-03-17, 10:21 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmissa View Post
None taken, I was just wondering if they did something or if it was your perception. My otf is super friendly. I know we all can have a tendency to prejudge. I know I used to overthink when I was the only heavy, woman of color in Pure Barre class in Greenwich, CT, but everyone I met was lovely. Some small boutique gyms can be cliquey, too, so I wasn't sure if that was the case.
I think it was maybe a little of both, but heavily sprinkled with my insecurities. It had nothing to do with the heart rate monitor stuff. It was just a group of women who acted like they owned the place and it was their workout the rest of us were encroaching on.

When I attended other times, there was none of that, so it was probably mostly a fluke.

I didn't last very long with OT -- mostly because I just knew I was starting to get bored with it, partly because it's more intense than my body can handle at this point, and then the whole working out at home benefits piece. I live 30 minutes away from the closest OT when there is no traffic. Workout out first thing at home ends up being very appealing.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 07:15 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post

Before you join one OTF location to cancel in a few months, you need to investigate how the founders prices work. My understanding (from reading the OTF subReddit )is that you can't get the founders rate at a club closer to your house if you are already a member of another OTF club. From what I have read, you have to be cancelled from all clubs for 6 months before they will let you take advantage of the founders rate at a new club.

It might make sense to do the online group strength training now and then join OTF when the one near you offers the founders rates.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-17, 07:17 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
It was just a group of women who acted like they owned the place and it was their workout the rest of us were encroaching on.

Ya. I get it. That irritates me also. Those women are so stuck in their own insecurities, that they aren't noticing you. But I know, they always make me feel frumpy.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
orange theory