Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-17-21, 06:09 AM  
Buzzer

Ladybug... DONE!

Wow. The more I do this workout, the harder it is! I think I am now contracting muscles in my ribcage during the rollup that I didn't know I could contract. The rollup was literally leaving me out of breath yesterday. My heart was pounding, I was sweating.. I don't feel like I am trying harder or doing anything different, it just feels like my body is! So weird. I am realizing how bad my posture was and is still. I definitely have a low back sway, which could be making my stomach appear bigger than it is. OK, it is making it appear.

My left shoulder hurt last night when I put it above my head and under my pillow, which stinks because that's how I sleep. However, I hurt it many years ago and I think Ttapp is either aggravating it, or perhaps breaking up the scar tissue and hopefully it'll feel better. It isn't like I feel it all the time, which would make me back off, but only when I put it under my pillow. I was still able to sleep, just not in my preferred position. I'll see how it goes, if it gets worse or better, and change what I need to change from there.

I totally can see how ttappers see changes! I didn't take measurements, because honestly I was afraid I would feel better and think I was looking better, then redo them and find I was larger or there was no change. So I skipped that. I am going to go by how I look and how my clothes fit. So far, my clothes don't fit differently, however I am feeling like I am standing up taller. I forgot how strong my abs used to be, and how they felt tucked in right under my ribcage long, long ago. I am starting to remember and feel some of that come back.

I remember forever ago I was in a CPR class and we were doing the "Heimlich maneuver" practice. The girl practicing on me was very surprised at how my upper abs felt, and was just preening about how strong they are and what do I do? I remember being kinda uncomfortable with it because I was unaware of it. It was just my abs. I think I told her something like "I don't know. I lift?" or something to that effect just to get away from the conversation because it was something I wasn't aware of and didn't know how I did it. Now I think it was because I was using ttapp principles while I taught and lifted and didn't realize I was.

I remember also making sure my core was tight and pulling my ribcage in when I did anything laying down on the bench. Then when I was lifting for the last few years, I couldn't even put my feet on the floor when I lifted because my back would go up and I couldn't pull in my stomach. I tried pulling in my ribcage and couldn't, but just reasoned with myself that it must be because my bench is higher than the ones at the gyms, that is why I can't do it.

Now I think it's because my core wasn't as strong as it was! I am now remembering how it felt like a board under my skin, and now I feel it and it's like a soft squishy ball with nothing in there. So I have new goals!!! To get that tight feeling muscle in the upper abs under my ribcage again. To get my posture back in line. To see if this makes my left shoulder less restrictive. To stretch out my chest/open my shoulders, and to walk light on my feet again. All good goals, I think! I am excited that I not only figured this out, but also that I have new goals that aren't always "lose weight, gain muscle."

Yesterday I found a website with endless math games on it. You race horses, and your horse moves forward by answering math questions. You are in a tractor pull, you win by answering math questions. There's logic puzzles. A typing game to learn typing. It was a plethora or learning games! It is an amazing site. Seriously, LB LOVED the game where she could do division and move her horse forward. She would answer questions, then the next time they came up, she knew the answers. It was the best math drills I could have imagined! A lot of them are timed, so she has to get the answers quick. It really was amazing and I think will help us as we get over this math anger.

As a matter of fact, when I went to bed she stayed up with DH for a bit and she was on the website doing "games". She did the typing one so much that she was getting first place (they rank you at the end, either against other people or against the computer generated players) on that game!

So that problem for now is solved. I love it!

Things in our school and my fitness life are looking better now. I have good, attainable goals, I have the math thing solved... all brings me some peace I didn't fully know I needed.

Ebianco: There are some Cathe's I really like and would NEVER get rid of. Mostly the lifting ones! STS I will never get rid of. That workout is a gold mine of weight training. However, the step ones I could never get, I always ended up almost tripping myself and falling down. Always with the "whoa. that coulda been bad" thought. So I stopped those. I used to have the goal of mastering those... nope. Never again. Her cardio also is way too high impact for me. I don't think I ever did her consistent enough to get "results", however I remember some of her stuff being the hardest I have ever had to do. One in particular was a workout where she was doing hip raises with feet on the ball. I seriously have no idea how they did that! One leg, then the other, then both. It was completely insane and painful! That woman is in SHAPE.

I hear you on not wanting to kill yourself with a workout anymore. I used to think harder was better, but now I dread that. I just don't want to be out of breath and feeling completely wasted at the end of a workout like I used to. I tell myself I am keeping my workouts so LB can have them when she is older, however I also am not ready to part with some of them, even though I am not sure I will ever do them again! Never say never I suppose. I may want to do one and pull it out for old times sake.

Eventmom: I have heard with the shots that you either feel great with no side effects, or you have covid symptoms. For some reason, apparently if you have had covid before you will have more of the symptoms. So I wonder if when your DH had it, you may have had it just a mild case? I hope you feel better soon.

I think it's great you both are going to try some ttapp this weekend! I think I am becoming a groupie for now. I think everyone needs it, just to get the good base of posture and core, then add in other workouts. I think I am going to do the "2 weeks of straight ttapp" bootcamp, then every other day, probably alternating with my beloved body beast. I am missing weight lifting. Apparently from what I'm reading Teresa recommended a "boot camp" of every day of ttapp for a set period of time, depending on how much you want to lose. Then every other day for about the same amount of time. I'll see how it goes! I am already feeling my upper abs pulling in, which is a huge thing for me!!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 02:23 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Saturday!

Yesterday I finally tried the Ttapp 15 minute Basic Plus workout! Then I did Ellen Fat Burning Fusion for about 15 minutes and then PM Stretch with Madeline for about 15 minutes for a total 45 minute workout. I can see how Ttapp is very unique, it was calisthenics but she had a unique spin and you had to hold your core tight to execute the fast moves (like the ho-down). At times it reminded me of Classical Stretch meets Callanetics? LOL. I have to say I had some DOMS in my hamstrings and shoulders today.

I've been honing in on high rep workouts with Cathe since I'm still going light on weights because of my wrist. So today I did her Muscle Endurance (on the Bootcamp DVD). My notes from last time was WOW this is a really hard workout! Today my notes were WOW this is still a really hard workout, even with lighter weights because of my wrist! This workout is definitely harder than her High Reps workout from last week. My wrist feels fine now, even after using the 5# again, but still I made sure to ice it afterwards, and it will just be light weights tomorrow for barre. Hopefully I can incorporate them more next week.

Eventmom That is a tough story about the VFer who was so hard on a fellow VFer! I've seen that happen a little over the years and people deciding to leave the forum which is really sad.

Great job on Callanetics Countdown! I remember those workouts being tough.

Buzzer I could never do Cathe's step workouts either. If I even attempted them, I would probably try it without a step at all. But one the pivots and having your back to the camera happen, I'm like NOPE, not just for Cathe but for any workout LOL The step that I've done is mixed in to the strength work, like her Terminator DVD, I am usually going slower with easier moves, or modify so I am not pivoting away from the camera. And then there's her high impact HIIT workouts which are all plyo/jumping. I used to be TOTALLY into that in my 20s but now after a couple of moves I'm like no thank you.

I can't/won't get rid of any workouts anymore, just using "all DVDs will be OOP" as an excuse Even though I don't have anyone to hand them off to, I still won't get rid of them! And you never know, sometimes it's fun to rediscover workouts and make it work for you even if means modifying a lot.

I'm glad the Ttapp is really working for you right now, and you are feeling results in your abs!!! She mentioned about using the basic workout several days in a row too, and I thought probably not, but will probably keep doing them on Fridays!
Old 04-18-21, 07:51 AM  
Buzzer

Ttapp Step away the Inches... DONE!
Healthy Hormones.. DONE!

I did the healthy hormones becuase I didn't realize at the end of her presentation she did the full workout. I saw that the other day, so yesterday, since I was kinda sore and tired, I decided to do it. It was good. Not my favorite, but good. She does a lot of "hunching" which was kinda weird, but I probably need to watch the presentation again to see why she does that.

It was only 30 minutes-ish, so I did SATI. it was good too. Not intense, but good. Probably both were good for a fairly easier day.

So 2 of my neighbors, who have kids LB's age, texted and said they wanted to meet to sled yesterday. I told them to come over, we have heaters, lawn chairs and a good hill for kiddos. They came over about 1ish, and we ended up spending until about 9:30pm with them, their husbands, all the kids, and another neighbor that showed up. Our party of "lets go sled" ended up being about 7 adults and 6 kids. Luckily I had a lasagna from Costco and a bag of baby carrots, because that ended up being dinner for everyone. It was a blast! I am not one to throw parties, however an impromptu party I was actually prepared for was so much fun!! Plus I had cleaned the house already, so I didn't have to worry about people tromping through to use the bathroom. It was great!

Today I am kinda peopled out. LB had her BFF spend the night last night, which will keep her occupied today. So I can take some quiet time today and hang out!

Ebianco: your post reminded me of my chain of DVD's! HA! I started with Ttapp, moved to Classical Stretch, also Callanetics, then starting finding barre and Linda... now I still own them all and am fighting the urge to once again start that path!!

I did try a Cathe cardio without the step, and although it was easier to follow, it wasn't... I dunno. As hard? As fun? I guess I kinda enjoyed it, but it was kinda like dancing. I would have to be in the mood for it. well, not dancing, but kinda dancing in weird steps? maybe that's it. I just wasn't sure I liked it that well.

Hi Eventmom!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-18-21, 05:54 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - old am stretch by madeline lewis and rode my horse in a clinic
today - 20 min hip/butt/thigh yoga, jumping lesson on my horse, ttapp basic +, then beg. DC (15 min)

OMG we all did ttapp this weekend!

buzzer - it's certainly possible I had covid and never knew but I did get tested like 3 times. DH who did have a positive test didn't feel too bad from the vaccine. It seems pretty random. One Ph.D. student who has basically quarantined the entire time had symptoms for a month. Yes, you did remind me that ttapp is a good one for days like today when I don't have much time but really want to get in some workout! You sound like the perfect hostess! Like, hey everyone one just keep hanging out while I pop in a lasagna! I'm a sucky hostess, unless you like pony rides, I'm a great pony ride hostess LOL.

ebiano - callanetics level 2 was harder than I remembered, she gets a lot done in 40 minutes! funny, we both pulled out madeline lewis this weekend! I've never done that stretch before, we actually got it for dh. It was just so so for me, I'll go back to my sara ivanhoe 20 min beginner set for pre-horse stuff warm up / stretch.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 04:03 AM  
Buzzer

Ttapp Fascia Fitness... DONE!

So I was feeling some muscles, and decided to take an easy day. Fascia Fitness sounds harmless, right? It is about an hour, I can do that.

Whoa. I have no idea if I was so sore that this was hard, if it was the few glasses of wine I had at the sledding day (which I didn't even feel, but maybe I felt during my workout?) but that was a HARD workout! Teresa looked way too thin, she looked really sinew-ey. I usually don't have a problem with that, but it was hard to look at her because she looked really underweight. Perhaps she was sick at the time, so it's not for me to say, but she didn't look good. However, the workout was so hard! I think this is the hardest ttapp I have yet.

She did the moves with a different flare, with different instructions than she gives in her other workouts I've done. I definitely felt it more. It was hard! I had to pause a few times not becuase I was out of breath, but because my muscles were hurting. It's all standing, which is good. I don't know why it's good, but I enjoyed that it was all standing. I'll have to do it again to see if it was really that hard or if it was just me. Did I say it was hard? Because it was hard.

Yesterday we had a big church meeting. My DH has been under fire for bringing some issues to light at the church that could actually dissolve the church. He has been name called and treated very poorly. At the meeting, I was disappointed at some of the fire and vitriol aimed at him, and I am not usually one to stand up in a meeting and I did two or three times. I was shocked it came from people I considered friends, and one lady I have gone above and beyond with helping and making sure people pay special attention to for what her circumstances are.

I walked out at the end, and when DH came home I told him I don't think I can take LB there and feel comfortable with her there, and I don't think I will feel comfortable there anymore. I am stepping back from my ministry I took on, and although DH wants to continue going to see these issues resolved, I just can't. I am not taking my kid there and I am not sitting through services with them. The pastor was also very condescending to DH, and I can't deal with listening to the word from him.

So I will probably do some things at home for LB and I to replace the services for a while. The lady up the street with 4 kids and her family left the church about 2 weeks ago due to similar circumstances, they couldn't stand some of the things going on. She is looking for another church, so I told her if she finds one let me know. Otherwise, we are just gonna step back. I think what bothers me most is these are my neighbors and community members, not just church people. These are people that live up the street from us.

So tonight I am having trouble sleeping, and up at 2am. I am drinking some tea then seeing if I can fall back to sleep. Luckily we have nothing planned, except karate if it doesn't start snowing and school. So I can nap or do whatever I need to do. We'll see how the day goes. Hopefully I can nap and do my workout today!!

Eventmom: That's interesting about the vaccine. I have a friend who got it, and she said she just cleared her schedule for the next week just in case. She felt a little under the weather and tired for a day but then it was done and she was fine. Kinda a crap shoot for sure!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-19-21, 11:13 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

essentrics flexibility for athletes.

buzzer - I would have trouble sleeping over that type of interaction. there's a reason so many people just won't engage in churches and school groups and horse riding groups! It's get so political and ugly! We just had something come up with our horse group (it's a state wide club for our sport) and it got stressful for our club president and she wasn't any source of the trouble or issue. anyway, I think you know how that stuff goes. sorry.
so which ttapps do you like the most? I might pick one up while I can but without the website, like you said, it's hard to know what it worth the $ since the ones I have seem pretty similar.

hi ebianco!
Old 04-20-21, 05:14 AM  
Buzzer

Rest day... DONE!

OK, I needed a rest day. I know a ttapp bootcamp is no rest days, but man, I was not only emotionally drained and tired, but also achey in my body. That ttapp really does seem to do something because my muscles get sore! My shoulders especially. I don't know if it's becuase I am opening up some very tight areas there still, from holding my arms up, or what. However my shoulders are still sore today! Mostly in a "I worked my shoulders" way. The pain I felt putting my arm under the pillow is going away, still there but going away. So that's good. My back also feels it, because she is really about strengthening the back too. It's been good though. I don't feel smaller, my clothes don't fit any different, but maybe it'll take some time and not just the short time I have been consistent.

I figure I started about a month ago, took a week off when we went to Florida, then took some more time off when I had my head cold. So doing it "14 days straight" I made it to about day 5 or 6 before I took yesterday off. Today I will push on! I am debating doing that fascia fitness again. That was hard and it's been in my mind on whether it was hard because of me, or if it really was just hard.

We have had more snow piling up. Yesterday LB had friends over, and they played outside while I dealt with more things. I feel much better today, more focused and less like I have a weight in my head and cranky. I feel much more clear about the direction I need to take and how to get there.

Today, since it snowed all night, is school and violin day. We need to go to karate this afternoon too. It should be cleared up by then. I heard the highway we have to take to get into town (which is coincidentally the worst 3 miles for accidents in the state) was horrible yesterday afternoon and evening. It was a sheet of ice, and lots of slide offs, accidents and rollovers. I'm so grateful we have no where to be these days that is so important we have to drive in that!

Eventmom: I thought about this since yesterday when I read your check in, and I would say the ttapp I like the most is Ladybug. I like it because it has a version of the 15 minute basic workout so you wouldn't need that DVD. Plus it has floor work from hit the floor, so you wouldn't need that. It has some lunge work, but not so much that it's annoying or too hard. Ladybug is like a sample workout, you do a little bit of everything. And nothing is overdone or boring. If you don't like standing work, you can do just floor work and it's tough. If you don't want to do floor work, there's enough standing to make it worth it. It's really the most well rounded Ttapp in my opinion.

The only problem I have with ladybug is I feel, every time!, that the ladybug move is the last cherry on top of the workout. But then, it gets me every time, she has like another 5 minutes of moves getting you off the floor. It's not crazy moves, just some down dogs and cat cows. However ladybugs always feels like the grand finale and suddenly... just a few more fireworks left!!

I think if I had to get rid of all my ttaps and only keep one, that's the one I would keep. Just for the variety it has.

I hear ya about politics in every doggone thing. Where's there's people, there's trouble. I remember working at the YMCA for years and just loving the crap out of it. I would show up, do my job, and leave. One day a girl showed up and we became friends. I will never forget standing in my kitchen, she had called me on the phone. I was listening to this rendition of some drama going on at the Y, and I was thinking "I think I'm OK staying out of this". I had no idea it was all going on, and didn't want to know. I don't need to know. I am one that likes showing up, doing my job, and leaving. When I was the fitness manager, I had my desk up in the seniors area. I was so happy! I remember when they told me they wanted to move me down to the office area, I knew that was the beginning of the end. And it was. The office politics gets to me. It's all emotional manipulation, overblown stories, and people pulling you to do and think what they want you to do and think. I hate it. People suck. I am always happier just going in, doing my thing, and getting out.

I have to admit, I would be avoiding all this if DH wasn't the opposite of me in this regard. I don't like to get involved if I like something, and I would be much happier not getting involved at church. People complain about people like us, but I think it's just because they want to pull people like me into their drama and if we aren't engaged in it, we aren't pulled into it. I would rather be happy and show up. I learned that people like me are called "consumers", and that's apparently bad. I think whatever, at least we are happier people. If you feel like stepping up, go ahead. I am not one that does. I would rather be happy.

Anyhow, I guess it is what it is, and we will figure it all out and either be happy going back, or happy doing our thing.

My muscles are achey, but I am going to do another ttapp today! I am determined to test Teresa's theory that I can actually lose sizes. I need to so I can fit into my wardrobe. Daily I am reminded that this or that used to be loose on me, or I used to be able to wear that shirt and my you couldn't see my belly button through it... or these pants used to fit and not bother me halfway through the day. Teresa, look down on me and give me some ttapp results to keep going!!

Hi Ebianco!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-20-21, 11:22 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

back to TA - TA beg mat #2 + 30 meta dc

buzzer - I've actually got ttapp basic +, instructional 1, and 2, and brain body floor. how long are the workouts on ladybug? are the ladybug workout different than what i've got. I'd love something like workout #2 but a bit faster (shorter). I bought only one after I got a set with the instructionals and some other stuff because it seemed like they weren't that different.

here you on the politics, I've backed out of most 'clubs' b/c I can't handle the bs. people who complain, take over, then kill the organization because they don't do anything (after complaining about people not doing anything..

hi ebianco!
Old 04-21-21, 09:36 AM  
Buzzer

Ttapp Fascia Fitness (yesterday)... DONE!
Ttapp tempo 2... DONE!
Ttapp ladybug on the floor... almost done. Just through the rolling like a balls.. DONE!

Yesterday I did fascia fitness just to see if it was as tough as I thought it was. It was tough, but not as tough. I think what made it tougher was not only having some drinks the day before, but also I noticed this time that trying to do what she is doing, plus her cuing isn't so good so I was constantly looking up and trying to hold my form to make sure I was where I was supposed to be. So it was tough, but not as tough as what I thought it was. I was better at it too.

Today I pulled out tempo 2 just to see what it was. I found a few more discs I forgot I had (and luckily none were repurchased!) and this was one of them. It was so good! Fast for sure, but great! I was familiar with all the moves, and some, like lawnmowers, I had forgotten about. It was great! It was the basic workout, plus some additional twisting moves. All standing. I felt it in my hips a lot more than the other workouts. Lots of stretching of the torso, which is what I love. It just feels so good.

After tempo 2, I was going to do tempo arms but my left shoulder (where I have the old injury) was not feeling good. So I did ladybug on the floor. Believe it or not, t hat made my shoulder feel better! I love that now I can do the leaning back work and not feel it in my neck and shoulders anymore. I am doing it with more ease for sure. I could never understand how people in barre workouts could do so many tricep dips on the floor or yoga could hold themselves in that back plank so long. It killed me! Now I am doing this with ease!! I get it! My shoulders were really bad I guess!! I still can't do the ttapp move where she clasps her hands, stretches her neck, does the pumps etc without a towel. I am not that flexible yet, but I think we're talking at least 20 years of tightness to undo, and the fact that I'm noticing progress is amazing to me!!

So my ttapp progress so far, on day... let's call it day 8 in a row. Looser in my shoulders and chest. Ability to stand taller when I want to (and think about it), abs feel like they are getting stronger, but I definitely have a long way to go! I am learning about the lymphatic system, which I hadn't taken the time to do before. I am also dry brushing, just that little abbreviated one though like that guy in the video of 2 minute lymph movement (I posted a link to it). When I did it before, I tried to do a full body brush. Now I am just doing a few key areas and I'm not getting burnt out like I was before.

I feel better for sure! I think I feel less puffy, but not like "wow!!! less puffy!!" more like, at the end of the day, I don't feel uncomfortably puffy. Just, less uncomfortably puffy. I have been able to keep my day pants on longer without dying to get into my loose Jammie pants.

So those are definitely huge markers for me, compared to some of the past workouts I've done. I also think I saw more tone in my shoulders today, which could also be the result of that area loosening up. I am pretty excited for my ttapp results! My clothes still don't fit differently though, but I guess baby steps.

Eventmom: I don't have instructional 1 or 2, so I don't know about those. I will say ladybug is pretty much the basic workout at the beginning. She has 2 standing workouts that are about 15 minutes each, then the floor workout, which is about 27 minutes. I prefer this one, jut because it has a little of everything in it. If I were to recommend one workout from all the ones I have done so far, it would be ladybug. Just a general sampler workout but also a complete workout, IMO.

Well crap. I just got a reminder that LB has violin at 9:30am this morning, and we were up and out until 10:15 last night. She had a box car race for awanas and ended up winning the "turtle award" for slowest car (we actually started standing up and cheering when she came in last once we found out the award existed), and also 3rd place in "design". I was so proud! Never so proud to be last place in my life! HA! She was jumping up and down every time her car came in last. There were 2 other families there with us, who we all knew each other, and we all started cheering LB on for last place. We had a ball, and she's never been happier to come in last!!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-21-21, 02:38 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

slept like crap again.

MR beauty to the bone A lower body + gina b cardio

buzzer - I may grab ladybug while I can, I think these will disappear like so many dvds. although oddly, the bar method workouts are on ebay for cheap (like $5 cheap) and I'm getting nostalgic for some.

congrats to LB! sounds like fun.

hi ebianco!