Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-19, 08:02 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

How do you decide what is worth paying something every month and what is not?
I'll only subscribe to a service that I'll use, if it is not too expensive. There has to be a lot of content and they have to regularly add new content to make me bite. But most importantly, I research on VF first to make sure it is a trusted subscription that doesn't play games with credit cards and lack of communication.

How much is too much (to pay)?
YogaGlo was my most expensive at $18.00 monthly. That's about my limit.

Do you pay monthly or go for prices breaks with yearly subscriptions?
I've tried both.

What types of things do you enjoy involving yourself in?
Mat, barefoot type things like yoga, Essentrics and Pilates.

What keeps you in a plan? How do you know when to cancel?
I tend to lose interest and get bored with one service. As soon as I realize that I haven't used the service three times for a couple weeks, I cancel.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-19, 08:04 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Thanks for all the responses. It's interesting to see what different people do and get into. I like seeing what people subscribe to in the exercise world and why it works for them. And, a tea subscription! Didn't know that existed, but I'm not surprised.

Has anyone tried or even stuck with one of those food services that delivers meals that you cook at home? It seems like they have just exploded over the past year or two.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-19, 09:11 AM  
cyana

I have to enjoy it and use it. Is it unique versus something I could get for free on You Tube or already have in my fitness library? Example: Movement for Modern Life (MFML) - this is a streaming yoga service based in the UK. I'm paying just under $80/year with three new classes per week, periodic challenges or focused series offerings and I've been introduced to a number of excellent instructors that I might not have discovered otherwise.

I like to trend this out by cost per use. For example, my Lee Holden monthly subscription is pricey (can't remember the exact figure, as I subscribed before he stopped offering the annual rate - the current monthly price is $39). They post 8-12 classes per month to the site (the oldest class drops off when the newest one posts), and I get offers for discounts on on-line workshops (you get to keep the ones you buy in your media library forever). You feel like you're right there in the class and Lee does some things in class that you may not see on a DVD (and I own many of his DVD's and downloads). For example, after he goes to workshops, he'll share things he learns from other Qi Gong Masters. Qi gong is my go to mind and body practice, and one I see myself doing for the rest of my life, so for me, this is worth the price. I also think of this subscription in terms of what it would cost if I went to a class. In my area, yoga classes typically run from $12-18 dollars. If I use $15/class as my benchmark, if I do three of Lee's classes per month, I consider it to be a reasonable return on investment (and I usually do more). I do not have a local option for taking qi gong classes.

I was late to embrace streaming and tend to be picky about what I sign up for, so I go for the yearly subscriptions if they offer a price break.

I have a monthly membership at a small yoga studio in my neighborhood and enjoy the classes and community. Unfortunately I have a serious work-life imbalance, which limits my ability to do things I'd rather be doing - such as volunteering, gardening and doing more yoga and qi gong.

The product has to maintain my interest and continue to deliver what was promised - such as the quality and number of new classes. I'm letting my Bellicon Home subscription expire, as there's only one new class per week and I'm just not using it with any degree of regularity. I really enjoyed my subscription initially, but now I'd rather pull the rebounder up in front of the TV and watch a TedX or something that stimulates my brain while I'm rebounding. Or put on some good music and make up my own work-out.

Laura - I've never tried one of the food services. Admittedly, I'm very persnickety about my food and where it comes from, so I'm probably not a good candidate for this type of service.

Bubbles - OMG, a tea subscription service. Sticking my fingers in my ears, so to speak, as I love tea and keep an embarrassing stash on hand at all times. That was a lovely gift! I'll have to keep that in mind, as my DIL is also a tea lover.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-19, 10:52 AM  
upperwside

I tend to be a minimalist, cannot stand stuff and clutter.. So I love some subscriptions. Kindle, love all my books in the digital format. I like the kindle unlimited subscription. Very useful as I read a lot.

I like downloads, but fitness subscriptions that I cannot own workouts can be annoying. DVDs take up a lot of space.. Luckily I have a large home gym with bookshelves for my dvds. I subscribe only to LEKfit at this time and will continue. It's 20 a month so very reasonable and I beyond love her workouts. I canceled Cathe on demand as I have every Cathe DVD and I'm happy with her offerings on dvd. There are a few streaming sites I will not use due to the price. I'm in another country and the exchange is not favorable. So I will not pay over $35 US a month.

I don't pay for any other subscriptions except at reading archive for my kids. If my kids are ever on tech in public, they are reading a book!!! As I said, I like to live as a minimalist.. So the idea of monthly stuff coming into my home would drive me insane. I buy what I need when I need it in small quantities except for toilet paper and paper towels, garbage \ recycling \ composting bags. That said, the idea of a monthly tea subscription sounds amazing as I'm a huge tea drinker.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-19, 08:23 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlarue1 View Post
How much is too much?
20.00 is really my limit. I would like to try barre 3 but it is over my limit
Barre3 has a $20/month option. Do the free trial, then try to cancel. They will offer you a deal for the workouts only option (the full site has other features--recipes, workout plans, reminders.) If you are ok with just having access to the workouts, you can get them for $20/month!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-19, 08:29 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Thanks for all the responses. It's interesting to see what different people do and get into. I like seeing what people subscribe to in the exercise world and why it works for them. And, a tea subscription! Didn't know that existed, but I'm not surprised.

Has anyone tried or even stuck with one of those food services that delivers meals that you cook at home? It seems like they have just exploded over the past year or two.
Laura, I don't plan to ever use a food service because I'm put off by all the packaging and the prices.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-19, 08:30 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I typically never pay full price for anything, so I wait for sales on streaming sites that interest me. I recently got 30% off a year of barre3, and I must say, I'm loving it. I paid for the year up front, which I prefer to paying monthly. There are some months I don't get as much use out of streaming and if I'm paying montly, I feel stressed out because I'm not getting my money's worth and that sucks the joy out of working out!

I subscribed to Physique 57 for a quite a while and I really enjoyed that. I got a screaming deal on the subscription, but the deal expired and over time, I wasn't using it as much. I just had too much going on and some of the workouts were just too hard for me. What I'm loving about barre3 is that the workouts are 'just right' for me at this time of my life, there are so many options and I feel like the site is just really well done.

I really resisted streaming for a long time. I don't like recurring monthly charges and Lord knows, I have enough DVDs to keep me busy for a very long time! But my barre3 subscription came at just the right time for me and I'm so thankful for it. It has rekindled my love of exercise and makes it really easy for me to stay active. For me, right now, it's totally worth it.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-19, 09:32 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Barre3 has a $20/month option. Do the free trial, then try to cancel. They will offer you a deal for the workouts only option (the full site has other features--recipes, workout plans, reminders.) If you are ok with just having access to the workouts, you can get them for $20/month!
Would this work if you had subscribed to the site before and not renewed your subscription? Meaning, is this only offered to those who have never subscribed before? I like their workouts, but this is the one site that I feel is ridiculously overpriced for what they offer.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-19, 08:02 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

The only exercise subscription I have is Cathe Live. It has been worth it. I have now done over 100 CL workouts. This tops any other program I have tried.

I opted for the annual subscription after a month or so of paying monthly.

I have not bitten on Cathe On Demand because I have so many of her dvds that this program doesn’t make sense for me.

I have a few tv service subscriptions including Netflix and Prime.

I love art and watch free YouTube demos, have a few online classes and take one in-person class
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-19, 08:23 PM  
Leonana

If I use it frequently, as in multiple times per week. It would have to be an instructor that I love and suits me better than other instructors. I work out with Jessica Smith the majority of the time. Since she doesn't have streaming, I don't stream. I do buy all of her dvd's, and depending on how many she puts out, I probably pay at least $120 per year. If she did change to streaming, I would subscribe.

I agree with the $20 limit.

I would try to go yearly, for the price break.

I also work out with a few other You Tube channels, such as HASFit and Pahla Bowers. I haven't joined any gyms or exercise classes. I do walk my dog regularly, about a mile and a quarter per day, although less in the summer, as it's so hot here. I did recently pay for a yearly subscription for the Calm Meditation App for my phone. It was $69, which I thought was reasonable.

I would cancel if I wasn't using it, which I guess ties into it fitting my needs.

Tags
streaming, subscription, subscriptions