Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-19, 07:18 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
So, no dvd, no streaming and if you don't have Cox, Verizon Fios, or Comcast X-Finity you can't get the workouts. Seems to be limiting to who will get to use. Kinda disappointed.
He did say there would be others and asked for feedback. If there's something that would work for you, let him know. I'm surprised Purple Player wasn't mentioned.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 07:37 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I find this very frustrating. If one thinks of DVDs as essentially 8-tracks, wouldn't the same hold true for cable and satellite only availability? I may still use DVDs for some things, but the only cable I have is internet, not TV. Everything else, I stream. If Tony wanted to be really innovative, he might consider going to free YouTube workouts with ad revenue.
Totally agree! The platform he will be using may only get him the "senior dinosaur" crowd...but maybe that is what he is shooting for. Contractually I don't see a lot of conflict with BeachBody if it targets a totally different audience. Will be interesting to follow this and see how it pans out.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-19, 08:19 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P. View Post
I have Cox, so I did a search & the workouts are named as follows:. 1. How to level up, 2.The Big Burn, a 3 level plometric routine combined with balanced interval training & includes pop squats, hear kicks & gorilla burpees
3. Toughen up which only says, 3 levels of intensity--from beginner to advanced--to help improve physical ability & quality of life at each individual's skill level & pace.
4.Flex Flow, range of motion techniques are mixed w/ Classic yoga postures to strengthen & lengthen one's frame.
5. High Gear, a full body cardio workout to find a participant's years, & understand what body tempo can be with physical activity.
6.Core of the Earth, an 11 minute routine to strengthen core muscles with anchor drops, v-ups, plank kicks & more.
7. The Pulse, same description as # 3.
9. Bottom Dollar, same description as # 3.

When I select a workout, it comes up with a "subscribe" choice, & when I select that, the screen reads, "Gaiam TV Fit & Yoga" $6.99/month

It might be worth my while to subscribe for a few months to check these out, I don't know. I am with the DVD crowd, & I don't like paying continuously for workouts when I have so many DVD's to choose from already.
I agree with your last sentence 100%. I already pay so much for cable, etc. and have a lot of Tony's DVDs and I hate the subscription model. Just keep paying and never own anything...

Anyway, I have Verizon Fios so I did a search on Tony Horton and found the workouts. On Fios, workouts #1 and #2 are free, but #1 is just a tutorial, so I watched #2 to get an idea what this all about. When I click on the other workouts, it tells me I need a subscription to Gaiam to view.

#2 is a HIIT workout with 3 background exercisers who have not appeared in his other programs as far as I know. It seems the idea is each backgrounder is demonstrating 3 different levels (beginner, intermediate, advanced) as most workouts do, but Tony focuses on the differences between the various levels and encourages viewers to pick the level they're at for each exercise instead of following one the whole time, but progression is the focus. The moves were similar to what I've seen in his other programs with some innovative new ones. The guy doing the beginner modification was VERY beginner, so it's something most everyone could do. This workout was 58 minutes with 10 minutes for warm-up and for cooldown. The backgrounders are all young people (the oldest might be maybe 40 or so?).

To summarize: it's not a frantic type of HIIT at all and there are plenty of breaks, but it's not a 'senior' workout. I'd say it was a less intense version of HIIT that I've seen in other programs, with some interesting new moves. Looking at the descriptions of the other workouts, some are over an hour long--the longest is 72 minutes and the shortest is 11.

I liked it and would like to see more, but I already pay a lot for Fios and have no desire to pay for a Gaiam subscription on top of that, so I'm going to send Tony a PM on Facebook and ask if he will consider putting this on his website as a download or charging a one time fee to access streaming. I would do that if the price was reasonable. I would really prefer DVD, but I know that's not going to happen.
Old 06-09-19, 09:06 AM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Wow, you really hit the nail on the head with me when you said, "I already pay a lot for Fios," that's exactly how I feel, except I have Cox.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-19, 09:34 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P. View Post
Wow, you really hit the nail on the head with me when you said, "I already pay a lot for Fios," that's exactly how I feel, except I have Cox.
I've been seriously considering dropping cable and going to streaming. I did free trials of all the major streaming services and my problem is the channels I like to watch are not all available on one service, so I'd have to get at least two and I still wouldn't have all the channels. When I added it all up, plus the cost of internet, I wouldn't be saving much.
Old 06-09-19, 09:48 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I've been seriously considering dropping cable and going to streaming. I did free trials of all the major streaming services and my problem is the channels I like to watch are not all available on one service, so I'd have to get at least two and I still wouldn't have all the channels. When I added it all up, plus the cost of internet, I wouldn't be saving much.
We did the same thing and came to the same conclusion. We also I would miss getting New York and Philly news. We get both in our area on Verizon Fios.
I wish they would offer a lower rate for a package you could customize. There are at least thirty or more channels we never watch.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-19, 11:41 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I cut the cord. I would consider downloads. Not subscription. Compared to beachbody, Cathe, etc, he doesn't have enough content to make it worth it.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-19, 05:21 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I checked his FB page and A LOT of people are asking for DVDs or a download option. He responded and said, "Rolling out on a variety of platforms is no easy task, but we're working on it." so we'll see. The page also mentions the next batch of workouts are coming, so I guess it's an ongoing program, but a lot of people are saying they don't yet another subscription so let's hope he does a download option, at the very least.

Sherry, I only get NYC news where I am. Fios does have some newer bundles now, but the prices aren't much better and none of them have the combo I want. It's frustrating.
Old 06-10-19, 06:46 PM  
pcdoctor01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I agree with your last sentence 100%. I already pay so much for cable, etc. and have a lot of Tony's DVDs and I hate the subscription model. Just keep paying and never own anything...
I agree with you 100%. "Just keep paying and never own anything..." Talk about greed to the MAX!
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-19, 08:25 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdoctor01 View Post
I agree with you 100%. "Just keep paying and never own anything..." Talk about greed to the MAX!
Bingo! Anything in the cloud scares me. No streaming services for me. Dvds or free content. I have more than enough to keep me busy. I don't need to pay a monthly fee for videos I may not even like. Plus, I can't workout to the same instructor all the time. It becomes all the same to me. The variety keeps me going. Tony, imo, not that great. Just sayin'.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
next level, tony horton, tony horton next level