Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-14, 11:53 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-14, 07:19 AM  
JanaK

We didn't have to do pullups, but when I was in the military, each age category had different PRT standards.
Old 01-11-14, 08:25 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I am so glad you said this! I have had this going on ALL WEEK now that I'm back in training. People I have not seen in months are commenting on my weight, telling me I need to eat a sandwich, etc. Only one of my fellow students told me I looked toned. I almost cried right there on the spot. As someone else who tries hard to build muscle, it was nice that she complimented me on THAT instead of harping on how much weight I had lost. I can't help that. I'm trying to get stronger, put on muscle. When I weight train, I'm not hungry.

I can relate to this. I've been called scrawny, knobby knees, sickly looking, all of that. I remember a hurtful comment about weight I've had flung my way from a VFer here. I remember commenting after Tiny Bubble was born that although I had lost the baby weight, I didn't FEEL right. I didn't feel strong, toned, etc. because I wasn't working out. I know most of it was mental, because I liked how exercise made me feel. Anyway, this VFer commented that my comment was one of the most annoying she had ever heard on VF! Basically telling me I shouldn't have a problem because I had lost the weight. Now I know that a comment from a complete stranger should not have bothered me, but it did. I PMed her, trying to say that I wasn't meaning anything false by talking about it, but she never PMed me back. I didn't visit VF for weeks after that.

I have since become thicker skinned on the message boards But real life comments still hurt.
I'm so sorry this happened to you here. I obviously missed the thread or I would have spoken up and supported you. I had THE SAME thing happen to me here. I also disappeared for a few months because of it.

I was not supposed to talk about my pregnancy experience because I gained such a small amount of weight and lost it quickly. Evidently it was unfair to everybody else here for me to talk about it. It was also not okay for me to say that I have a hard time keeping weight on.

It really really hurt my feelings and I didn't post for a few months because of it. Finally I realized that I wasn't going to let someone's unkindness cause me distress. It's my choice how I let other people's comments affect me. I have also tried to apply that in other areas of my life. I try to be a kinder, gentler person now and realize that everybody has a story, and nobody's story is invalid or un-necessary. We can all learn from each other no matter what our circumstances, and that's primarily what this message board is about.
Old 01-11-14, 08:39 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Ugh, so sorry any of you have received stupid hurtful comments like that... I have sadly witnessed this here several times over the years and it's not only rude and insensitive, it's so obviously based on jealousy of all things!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-14, 08:46 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post

It really really hurt my feelings and I didn't post for a few months because of it. Finally I realized that I wasn't going to let someone's unkindness cause me distress. It's my choice how I let other people's comments affect me. I have also tried to apply that in other areas of my life. I try to be a kinder, gentler person now and realize that everybody has a story, and nobody's story is invalid or un-necessary. We can all learn from each other no matter what our circumstances, and that's primarily what this message board is about.
Exactly! I'm so glad you came back, too Jeanne Marie!
Old 01-11-14, 09:03 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Ugh, so sorry any of you have received stupid hurtful comments like that... I have sadly witnessed this here several times over the years and it's not only rude and insensitive, it's so obviously based on jealousy of all things!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
Exactly! I'm so glad you came back, too Jeanne Marie!
Thank you both! I realized pretty quickly that I was cutting my nose off to spite my face by staying away! Not great behavior on my part. I'm glad I came back too.... and you are both among the reasons why!

Tags
pull ups, pull-ups, women and strength